Truckies scrap yard tour, 2008 Well like the titles says the scrap yard tour. We will start off with the latest that we got in today, and I will post more pictures as I get more time and more equipment in. Bear in mind a lot of these pictures will bring tears to your eyes. This is the part of my job that just breaks my heart. We will start off with the Cat track loader. It is a 977L. Believe it or not it runs!!!!!!! Yes I put the key in the switch and gave it a turn and she came to life. She fired right up. Purrs like a kitten, all the functions work. The only reason she is in the yard is the right finale drive went bad. The owner said scrap it, so she is at my place now.
Nice tour. Great concept. Are you gonna fix up the 977 and sell it or does it get scrapped like the owner said? Great powerful machines they are. Keep the good pictures coming, man.
Don’t know the year or anything about it other than it is a old army tractor. It has a gas engine that was converted over to diesel. The out side is a whole lot better looking than the inside was.
Before we do anything to it we are looking in to see how much it will cost for a used final If it is not worth it then it will be scraped. I am going to talk to the one boss and see if we can’t save the engine and pump from it if we cut it up. Engine and tranny are good.
I hope that 977 can be saved, sure looks like it can get several more years out of it. Please don't let it end up like that old International loader from a few months back...:crying
I have scrapped so many things, it is not even funny! My old boss would send (on average) 2 barge loads out a year. 3000 ton loads. Many dozers, loaders, shovels, thousands upon thousands of cars, Many being antique, cranes,yarders,wagners, trucks, trailers, railway stuff, everything metal inside a huge pulp mill, and about anything else metal you can think of. Price of scrap is super high and has been for years. I remember when he was only getting $25 a ton, now it's well over $100. Used to want to cry as I smashed and cut up many a rigs. Finally got to where it didnt bother me anymore. 69 Challenger, straight body with NO rust. No engine or interior but everything else there, Everything! 235D.... Grab and SMASH! Loaded into a truck and to the barge!:Banghead He would only save parts for things he had, or if he had an easy buyer. Otherwise it got scrapped! Many years of practice with a cutting torch.
Don't mean to upset you, but the 69 Challenger that you trashed is worth about $30K restored, not too much less in the condition you describe it. First car I ever owned was the 70 Challenger. I destroyed it in another way, and all I have left is the hubcaps I kept as a souvenir. Wonder how much they would command on ebay?
Not the best picture of the hour meter on the 977 but it is reading 79,000 hours. We are parting out the machine for one of our customers. The next pictures are a gradall G 56 we got in today. Had a fun time getting her off the lowboy, she gave one hell of a fight pulling her off. Things got to be real interesting once we ticked off the hornets that were living in the boom. They were not to happy about the movement and banging around. And I sure didn’t like them in my cab.
I will not be reading this thread any more. I can't take it.
Aw come on Digger, it’s not that bad is it? Well you know your going to keep looking.
Well here is a water truck we received. It is a Auto Car. It had a non natural aspirated Cummins in it. It was 262 horse power. I believe the years is somewhere around 1962, 64. Not quit sure. This one had a bees nest in the tank. Again not fun when the come in side my cab.
No, I'm not. :spaz That 977 makes me want to cry. :crying
Me tooooo.:crying That 977 and the Gradall would look a whole lot better here at my place, with a little tinkering I could change the scenery around the farm and at my leisure, instead of rushing with rental machines all the time. Truckie, ya think the boss is a fairly compassionate guy and would consider shipping them here for "nostalgic preservation purposes?":beatsme: I promise I'd send lots of pictures...:usa
great pic
Low Boy you want to buy a machine and send me a lowboy to put the machine on ad send it to you I will. "nostalgic preservation purposes?" Hmmm I will have to try that one on him, but I would not hold my breath. Hey what’s the worst thing he can say? No. Anything is worth a shot. Next time I get something in I will try the "nostalgic preservation purposes?" theory on him. If not you may want to get that lowboy ready for a Pa trip.
Next up is a old Cat 245 excavator. The cab was already cut off when we got it. I only got to get these pictures after our grapple guy finished ripping the rest of the cab and interior off. Yes this one also ran. It was in pretty rough shape though.
Here is a old grader. I have no idea what model. All I know is it was a Caterpillar. It was an old one, it would start on gas then switch over to diesel. The last picture in the above post shows the old 245 and the grader after they were cut and striped with the shear. The rest needed to be torched.
Nostaligia doesn't sell, unless it's movie memorabilia. Make him an offer for the value of the scrap, less the labor cost of cutting it up. Should be no problem with that, as long as lowboy is able to move it out of there. Interesting idea. There's probably some parts value you could figure into the equation too to make it worthwhile.
Truckie, the cranes in the background look interesting.
Maybe we won't have to endure any more of this organized vandalism of our precious obsolete equipment inventory. I heard today that scrap is waaay down. Tin dropped almost 50% in less than two weeks, and the heavier stuff is set to follow...
Yes the price is going to drop only for a while from what I’m hearing. I have a few more pictures to post but they should not break your hear Digger.
That was the same thing they were saying about the housing market this time last year. Just roughin' ya' up a little Truckie, but I do have a question. The pads on the 245 look like the have some decent grouser life left on them. Do you guys ever part out the machines or just scrap everything?
Well today I had the pleasure of breaking apart these lights. They are 270 volts I’m told. They are from a local Lowes Home Improvement store. There is 1,000 of them I have to brake them apart and get the transformer out and keep them separate and then get all the sheet aluminum and separate that and then get the magnet to mag out all the irony aluminum then shovel all the clean broken cast out and put that in to Gaylord’s. I got my work cut out for me.
Once in a while we part them out. The rad front clip, fuel tank, and hydraulic tank, and fuel pump was taken off the 977 and sold.
I am with digger I can't take anymore!