I’ve got a select fill pit, that I’m having trouble with trucks carrying dirt, sand out on road. My haul road has been topped with asphalt millings. In dry weather, the water truck keeps the dust down and keeps most sand from leaving property. I have a cattle guard also at the gate. In the winter is when I have this problem with the tracking. I’ve seen these shaker plates on the internet for job site exits. They look like I-beams with angle iron welded to them. Anyone have any experience with these? I own the property so thinking about setting up something permanently. We went from loading 50 trucks a day to 100–150 a day. I also think they would make good speed bumps to slow a few of the idiots down. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.
A drivethrough wheelwash is not an option? or you want to keep it as cheap as possible? I have also seen some of the yellow composite things they put on sites closer in to town like this one. And I believe you just flood it with a water wagon or firehose to clean into the side ponds. and then there are the regular types.
Around here if it is to big a problem you have to make a big stone pad and break out the pressure washers for every vehicle leaving the job
Ronsii, i like that second picture. im thinking about setting up 2 or 3 sets of those up on haul road. That first pic looks interesting, but looks hard to build. Im also going to rig my water truck, where i can pressurize my gravity drip bar with some nozzles. Im hoping with the nozzles i can spray the dirt off road. May even hose off the highway that way. Bls, I hope it never gets to that point around here.
Those "yellow composite things" (I don't know the proper name either) work quite well. We've got one at the exit of an asphalt/concrete recycle yard and tracking out of these is minimal.
Same with most of the cities around here, they'll red tag your job if you start leaving tracks.. and don't have friends in the right places Some areas are better than others if they see you sweeping and are not leaving clumps of mud and stuff like that they are pretty nice about it.. they understand it's hard to get wheels completely clean without a lot of extra costs especially with smaller jobs... then again if you get a by-the-book-greenie inspector.... you're screwed
I worked on a job in Lacey back in 1998 as a maintenance contractor. (my truck, not theirs) one day on a Friday afternoon a Jeep Cherokee comes blazing/splashing through the TIRE WASH PIT, a woman gets out and starts Screaming at me about mud stripes on the road (we had ONE entrance with no mud on the road) the more I tried to explain I had nothing to do with things, the madder and louder she got. I finally told her that if she was a man I would beat her into the ground. She shut right the heck up, and let me call the GC I was working for. Turned out it was some carpenters on the far side of the site that jumped the curb and left a few tracks. Turned out that she was the top dog in the Thurston co. "air quality" office. What a (unmentionable) person that was.
Yep, ran into her type before worst thing is they ALL believe they have the power of GOD to do whatever they THINK is right.... and there ain't much you can do about it usually so they go all over the place costing guys lots of money because didn't you know!!! that tire track of mud will kill thousands of cute little baby salmon when it hits the river!!!
You have to have a green truck to keep those people happy.
The didn't you know has been replaced with {what were thinking, when you got up this morning didn't you know?} My reply to those remarks would sound something like this. No I didn't know and wasn't thinking about mundane crap like that, you see I was busy squinting trying to turn on the coffee pot with my right hand and scratching my *** with the left hand.
Around here they usually put a bed of 1 1/2" crushed stone at the entrance, works the same as the yellow composite thing
The requirements for regular construction entrances in this area are a foot thick of quarry spalls 4-8 inch some of the neighboring areas allow slightly smaller quarry rock and when the project wraps up you have to remove it... so usually we put it in deep so it has room to cover with a few inches of crushed to finish grade Oh, and length has to be enough that a full sized truck tire gets something like three full revolutions... or something like that basically they want it 25-30feet long... oh also 12 feet wide with a widened 6foot radius on the sides.
I wonder how effective those yellow things are, do they actually remove enough dirt from the trucks for them to safely drive on highways?
Hard to say... the few sites I've seen them installed on were pretty clean and I never saw much dirt on the yellow.
I had rumble strip thing made. It’s 13’4” wide by 25’ long. Made out of 6” H beam with 2” angle iron every 6 inches. That gives 2.5 revolutions on 11r24.5 tire. This thing was worth the money. Really cleans tires up. Not completely but way better than without. I’m planing on putting one more on the haul road. I recommend this to anyone having same problem.
Cool!!! did you put it at a slant so the dirt leavings can be washed away or is this just something you'll lift and maintain when it fills up? Got pics
For now we will just pick it up and use loader to move the dirt. I’m trying to figure out how to set it up to wash it out. With 5 H beams , I can’t figure out how to wash the dirt trapped between them. I may be able to blow them out with air but haven’t tried yet. I’ll try and get some pics.
Had a guy tell me on those yellow composite things, they will roll tires off the wheel on like lowboy trailer. He works at a city run mulching operation. They have unlimited funding. He said wheel washing station worked best but was problematic
I had a brief meeting with the director of the Bellevue Street Dept about 1978, regarding dirt on his street. He was a very unhappy camper. After he had exhausted his verbosity arsenal on me and threatened to close down the project. I like RZ had to direct him to someone that was empowered to deal with his belief that "his street" was a work of art somewhere on par with the Sistine Chapel.
I'm glad we never ran into that guy We've done a lot of work in bellevue for the parks dept. I can remember several times on jobs the boss saying 'we could never do this on a regular job up here!!!' but since we were on a 'parks dept.' job it was kinda like anything goes
I look at discussions like this one and it always boils down to the squeaky wheel syndrome. Some one with a little power thinks they have a ax to grind. People in those jobs need to feel important by enforcing crap like dust control, those are the ones who need to eat some dirt.
Yeah, that's it. When I was playing dirt contractor in 2001 I got to meet the "top dog" of air quality in Benton County. Another woman that had no idea of what jobsite conditions could be but was quick to tell you she could shut you down in a heartbeat for the wrong puff of dust. Needless to say water trucks were not a luxury but a necessity in that windy area. Had a 4000 gallon truck, a 9000 gallon Cat water wagon and a 12000 gallon tower to fill them plus a good pump to boost city water into the tower. That's about $100k right there just to keep them happy.
I didn't read the thread. 30 miles from here we have OMYA. hundreds of trucks + dozens of rail cars haul "limestone slurry" It is calcium carbonate bedrock blasted and ground. Not sure why they use so much water, it is soup. They have wash beds spraying clean water under the trucks. Still a neighbor special orders his vehicles in a color he calls OMYA slime grey.
Could it be the stuff they use on roads before it snows after adding more water to it?
Here the worry is not so much on roadways, so long as contractor has sweeper equipment to clean roads occasionally as buildup occurs, Dust is another crank up the Whining issue, with the EPA dust rules water trucks are more prevalent and concerned citizens also MORE prevalent. Required to use runoff control blanketing, curtains and dams, control of mud and as such dust is more a priority than getting excavations completed. Most contractors have CTL units with broom/collection pan attachments to clean, gather and redistribute the messes. As to the Carbonate slurries, a few subdivisions around here with rock roads use Calcium Carbonate as a application to control dust evolutions off dried up roads, actually works but does tend to slime every time re-wetted.
We have a quarry near. The favorite product of driveway builders is pack mix. They offer several varieties, but all are crushed to a variety of sizes. The limestone is soft, crushes constantly under tires. Dry, it tracks bad as chalk, wet, it becomes slime. I use calcium carbonate as road in 1-3/4". It packs like Macadam, but drains quickly.
Around here spoil piles and top soil piles have to be hydro seeded if going to stay for awhile.
Was coming back from the city this morning and saw they put in some of the yellow pyramid thingys on an entrance I had seen getting punched in last week so took some pics... they put a layer of 1-1/4minus to bed the yellow things in plus they put a regular Q-spall entrance in next to it... I think they sprinkled girt on it to make it look like it was working... I don't remember the ground around this area to be mushy... so not sure why they put the felt under it??? other than to make it easier to remove the spalls.... or it's required by the county - more than likely... afterall it's not their money they are spending
Typical construction entrance detail in my area. The rock is usually #24 stone as it doesn't pack and is small enough not to get stuck between tandems. Length is usually 50' and width 20'. We always use a filter fabric, woven or non-woven, it really just depends what we have left over on the yard. Either fabric keeps the stone from being mashed into the ground and lost. We hardly ever put a pipe in. On longer projects you can carefully fluff up the stone with a CTL. All in all it's a profitable line item for me in our bids as we install all erosion control measures.