Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

trucks equipped with excavators opinions

trombeur · 2025-11-15 03:45

trucks equipped with excavators opinions Browsing the net I happened to see trucks with excavator equipment, that is, the fifth wheel and the excavator tower mounted on a crane type, especially military trucks, this solution honestly I do not see as very practical and versatile as the tower has a reduced rotation angle and the truck chassis could not climb on steep and impervious terrain like a tracked excavator, I see it more suitable for road construction sites or for civil protection uses or emergency response such as firefighters, what do you think of this solution thanks https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/**/Soviet_army_excavator_EOV-4421.JPG/1280px-Soviet_army_excavator_EOV-4421.JPG TATRA 815 UDS 114​ Kamaz 53501 EOV-3523

Replies10
  1. #1skyking12025-11-15 12:46

    rapid deployment, working on a highway shoulder, things like that. A very narrow use case for it. Gradall types cleared miles of ditch, for example.

  2. #2Tones2025-11-15 19:25
  3. #3Tones2025-11-16 03:49

    Those Gardalls had a chain coupled to 2 hydraulic rams that worked the swing which would occasionally break. The upper works enjoyed the freedom, the operator not so much

  4. #4trombeur2025-11-16 12:44

    Do they use them to clean slopes and embankments? We use spider excavators.

  5. #5skyking12025-11-16 13:09

    Way before spiders. Nobody uses the truck mounts around here anymore, @trombeur They are relics or scrapped. EDIT: apparently still in use east. The closest one for sale on Equipment trader is 2000 miles away LOL.

  6. #6DM&RDBulldog2025-11-16 13:58

    Still see the Gradall telescopic excavators on the highway projects around me. Never seen a conventional truck mounted excavator any newer than something from the 50s or 60s and never working. Ive yanked a few oldies out of the woods to scrap over the years. Want to say they were Bantam brand and mounted on IH trucks. Lots of unique old iron grown into the landscape around me.

  7. #7BC Placer gold2025-11-16 14:02

    There is a guy here that still uses an old tire mount Gradall for ditching highways. He is really skilled and I have seen him all over the province… I have also seen a “frugal” placer miner use one for mining…. Extremely cumbersome to say the least!….but this one had steel tracks.

  8. #8JaredV2025-11-16 14:11

    I saw a 90s vintage truck mount on Craigslist or marketplace in the last year. It looked pretty clean. Had a 5.9 Cummins in the carrier.

  9. #9PeterP92025-11-17 21:30

    If its the same outfit that I am thinking of, you see them all over the place, I have also seen there machines rigged up brush cutting along side powerlines a few years back. Very interesting machines, they certainly have their place in which they excel.

  10. #10Steve Frazier2025-11-21 21:55

    I used to see backhoes mounted on truck chassis as a kid, about the F600 size in the 60s and early 70s. Con Edison used to have F350 dually pickups with a backhoe mounted in the back in the 90s, I'm thinking for digging up gas lines in the streets. Haven't seen any since.