Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Trusty “Krusty”:

1693TA ยท 2023-12-19 17:46

Kind of scabbed the broken frame back together and brought the manlift back to the shop for a bit of upkeep. IIRC a little bit over 31K of weight and makes old "Krusty" look like he's squatting to ****. in that lift:

Replies8
  1. #1Welder Dave2023-12-20 17:20

    That's a lot weight behind a 1 ton. I'm guessing you didn't have to go very far? How did the frame break and do you have any pics.?

  2. #21693TA2023-12-20 18:43

    Only about 12 miles distant. Frame is very rusty and bottom flat ge no longer exists. This is a photo of the top flange shifted after breaking through: A little floor jack action and port o power assist brought everything back together. A quick face grind with a 16 grit disc to clean it up and a burr run down the center of the crack made it good enough to glue back together. I then bent a piece of 3/16 X 2 strip over in the vise with a rosebud forming a top, and bottom flanges, placed it onto the frame, marked it up with a Markall marker, then ground the weld zone clean. Nothing special followed as used .035 S6 wire w/C25 shielding gas vertical and overhead, and a bit of 6010 for the upper flange as could not get the mig gun positioned much out of parallel with the flange. Short work with a bent over stick however. Could not get any vision as the bed was still on the truck. Plastic fuel tank is behind that frame rail too so a border of 22ga sheet metal was used slipped between frame and fuel tank. All went pretty well but I'd left my phone on the charger at home so no more photos of it repaired which is temporary, (maybe). In this photo just out of view the floor jack holds the forward section and a port o power supports the rear section. Elevating both sections closed the gap seen and once together the spot grinding and spot welding to hold position took place. So far this 1/2 assed repair has worked but I really need to replace the truck. Only vehicle I have ever purchased new so still kind of partial to it but rust is putting it down shortly I'm afraid.

  3. #3Welder Dave2023-12-20 19:08

    I thought it was the manlift with the broken frame. Does the truck have a Cummins diesel? Have heard of many of the early Dodges failing long before the engines were tired. That frame is sure thin for what it does. Need to cut the bad sections out and use some heavier tubing to replace it.

  4. #41693TA2023-12-20 19:20

    Truck is a V10 gas and runs well. It's done me well and owes nothing but it's almost to diminishing returns. Xmembers are rotting out and have patched/repaired the transmission xmember also so trans would stay aligned as supposed to. I bought it to work and have wore it in and out. Never a wrench on except routine maintenance and has never stranded me anyplace. I do however need to give old "Krusty" a well deserved break.

  5. #5Welder Dave2023-12-20 20:03

    Would be nice if you could find a non rusted frame if the drivetrain is still good.

  6. #61693TA2023-12-20 20:33

    I had been looking for almost three years but std. cab, 2WD, with independent front suspension seems to be a difficulty. I ordered this with heavy suspension and camper package and something about those two makes it difficult. I don't know why but the truck body is getting bad too again. Back in 08 I installed new door shells, rockers, cab corners, and rear spring hangers on both sides so known it was rust prone then. Everything is original except brakes, rotors and drums, clutches in rear drive axle, and front end parts. Never an engine, transmission, or rear axle problem except the rear tires were not holding together, (sure grip differential clutches worn out). Truck has had 25K on a trailer many times over the years but not since about 2010 doing heavy work for me. I just drive it any more. Wanted to get 300K miles out of it but not going to make it as right at 250K now. Our Nissan Altima, (purchased new 2/06) just rolled 300K last weekend and shows no signs of letting up although it too is rusty. Neither burn, or leak oil and start easily. Good routine maintenance through their lifespans by my lonesome. Plan is to replace the Nissan for my wife and put the B-61 back into service this next year. I'll drive the Nissan out staying the course of the next owner is a salvage yard. Both vehicles are still very nice inside but the Dodge is finally busting out the upper dashboard; still there but large breaks in the plastic getting worse. I may reutilize the engine and electrical in another project. It is time.

  7. #7Old Doug2023-12-27 08:55

    The clutch went out of my 1982 Chevy last week . It is from Iowa i hadnt really spent a lot of time under till removing the clutch. The body has rust but the frame is perfect .

  8. #81693TA2023-12-27 09:26

    The frames under the old "square body" Chevy trucks, (1973-1990) were some of the best and most durable in the light duty line. Have sectioned several of them through the years with donor pieces from collision. Only until box frames started becoming popular which are stronger/lighter than the thicker "C" section frames, (when new) did rust start becoming a problem. Nowadays you really don't even think of straightening a "Diamond" frame condition as it's not strong enough to take the correction force needed, (as example).