Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Tubular Wrenches

Zewnten ยท 2022-04-18 21:59

So I ordered up a set of used tubular wrenches and I've got a snag. The wrenches 1 5/8 and below have one size tube end, but 1 3/4 and above a larger tube is required. When I go to order a tube handle they say one tube fits all sizes. What am I missing? 1 5/8 and 1 7/8 for reference. Sorry if the picture is huge I'm on mobile.

Replies13
  1. #1Tyler d4c2022-04-18 22:29

    Snap on guy or if your not picky a piece of well fitting pipe

  2. #2terex herder2022-04-18 22:59

    Different size on each end?

  3. #3funwithfuel2022-04-19 07:00

    Yeah, Snap-On played that game on the 3/4 drive equipment years back. One handle was 13/16 the other 15/16 then they phased out the smaller. You really had to throw a fit to get them to warranty out all your drive handles and heads to the new standard. I'm guessing that's what you're up against. You might try ebay for NOS or good used.

  4. #4Zewnten2022-04-19 07:15

    That's what I was wondering. They're all from the same time of manufacturing as I can tell. Otherwise I would agree. That was basically the plan.

  5. #5Bluox2022-04-19 12:05

    Check with Williams tools, they make that line of wrenches and may have the smaller handles. Snapon wrenches make the handle size break at 1 5/8", below 24" handle above 36"handle. Bob

  6. #6excavator2022-04-19 12:45

    Which handle are you looking for? the smaller or larger diameter? Which part of the earth are you located on?

  7. #7Zewnten2022-04-19 22:09

    Both apparently, my original thought was to use a jack handle but it's too big for the small ones and too small for the big ones. So I'm trying to figure out if the factory handles have both sizes built in or of I need separate ones but there's only one part number.

  8. #8excavator2022-04-19 23:01

    As far as I know there was never one handle that fit both. The smaller handle was about half the length of the larger one. I will have to check in the morning as far as dimensions. I think I have several extra small ones.

  9. #9Vetech632022-04-20 07:42

    I keep 7 different OD, wall thickness, and length pieces of pipe on my truck for just such occasions

  10. #10joe--h2022-04-20 12:21

    But but but, it doesn't say Snap-On !!!! Joe H

  11. #11JLarson2022-04-21 12:10

    A paint pen can fix that lol

  12. #12Zewnten2022-04-22 21:17

    Realized I missed your question, I'm in Colorado. Do you know what the outer diameter of the smaller handles?

  13. #13excavator2022-04-25 13:51

    Here is a page out of the 1987 SnapOn catalog listing all the sizes and lengths of the handles. I'm not sure when they changed sizes but this shows the 36B ID as 1 1/8" and my 2014 catalog shows it as 1 9/64 so just a bit different.