Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

tune-up specs ’74 391FT

AJKEHOE ยท 2013-09-05 14:54

any help would sure be appreciated.. just bought a '74 Ford 800 10 wheel dump. I am working on the air brakes while my mechanic will join me this weekend to tune this old girl up. he has asked me to research the tune-up specs for it.. timing/dwell/ plug gap... any and all info would sure help. FYI, I have tried to research the VIN with no luck.. it's T81FVR23445

Replies2
  1. #1monster762013-09-05 15:09

    Spark Plug Gap = .030 Point Dwell = 26-31 Point Gap = .017 ill keep looking more through my old ford books to see what i find

  2. #2AJKEHOE2013-09-05 20:31

    Regarding the '74 391ft Thank You Monster! I appreciate you taking the time to respond.. I tried to find a shop manual for this truck on E-bay.. no luck. The tags, plates, stickers..almost everything on the truck is worn and/or illegible. trying to research the VIN was also unsuccessful. I THINK it has a 5 speed Clark (at least I hope.. I read good reviews) and behind that is an aux tranny - I'm guessing a 'brownie box'.. the shift knob is worn - I can make out an OD and a 'D'.. so without a line sheet (that's actually kinda funny) and not really knowing a lot about the old stuff I am sort of in the dark. I was lucky enough through most of my career to be able to buy relatively new equipment. How times have changed.. LOL. after losing almost everything in '09 I am trying to begin again. This truck has been on a farm in New England for a very long time. Odometer shows 24k miles.. it doesn't smoke, starts right up, the frame, dump body and rubber are pretty good. I'm sure I will be on this forum quite often as I go through it. Thanks again!