l'm looking for a turbo for a Caterpillar 3406B. The truck is a 1985 Ford LT9000 The closest l've seen or found is Borg Warner 177148♂️ any help is much appreciated
Engine serial number will get you there assuming it's not turned up with something out of the ordinary
She looks like a helluva rig. I bet She can haul the mail. They don’t make ‘em’ like that anymore. She’s got Caterpillar power, rolling coal by the hour. Especially, once She gets that new turbo. Holy cow. A single stack with no bunk in the back? She don’t play. That’s a working truck. Six in the hole & ready to pull.
The rig in my avatar has only one stack. I had to take one off so I could install a Dave Palmer Safety Systems pumping system. A 3” Blackmer. She can pull 11,500 gallon wagons all day long. Lipstick red and she knocks them dead. On the Parks Hwy, all you will see is tail lights. A tanker tanker from way back. Big trucks is what I know, and hazmat is what I tow.
The 177148 is a good choice. You will need to adapt the plumbing just a touch to accommodate the waste gate, or get the oil return hose/pipe from an E model. The 177148 will spool much more quickly than stock, which should be good for dump truck work. It will suffer just a bit at max power at higher rpm, but not too bad.
I should have asked: an 85 is most likely a jwac 400? I assume the 177148 will work with it well, but don't have personal experience outside of a 425 ataac.
Snow on the ground already? Or does it never leave? Maybe its just the leftover sweat in my eyes, its been hot here. I could go for a snowbank cuddle. What a pretty ford paint job. Too bad you didn't post video. I like a little wheel wobble from a dayton rig from the rear while driving away. Like a swing on a back porch....
You don't want a waste gated turbo---unless your planning on a bump in power, just get the stock turbo--ATL Diesel.