Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Turning 50 kinda sucks.

wlhequipment · 2023-03-01 14:17

In my 20s, I thought I knew everything, and could do anything. In my 30's I thought guys in their 20's were idiots (I was right), and I took all the work that crossed my path. In my 40s, I found out I didn't know everything and became a little more selective of the jobs I did. I turned 50 last year, and I've learned I really don't know ****, I spend alot more of my time in bathrooms, and if I drop that 10mm ONE MORE TIME... I'm starting to see why every old wrench bender I meet is the grumpiest SOB ever. I'm having a harder time keeping the numbers on the scale where they need to be, and that trend is not going to improve. I really am getting tired of dropping stuff, and my eyes are getting so bad, I pick my sockets by feel. I even carry a small flashlight in my pocket cuz my eyes are going so bad. My back only works from about 9:00 am to 2:00 pm anymore, and those hours are getting shorter and shorter. As is my patience, by the way. My work pace is slower, 2 day jobs can take a week anymore. I wouldn't trade the life though. I love what I do, and what narrow field I'm in, I'm good at it. People bring stuff to me because I take my time with it, and do it right. There's nothing that leaves my shop undone, and my customers appreciate that. Hmm. Maybe turning 50 ain't so bad after all

Replies172
  1. #1cuttin edge2023-03-01 14:24

    I used to get annoyed at the old lads at work. Someone said to me last year, there are no old lads left working here. I said because we are the old lads now

  2. #2Acoals2023-03-01 15:42

    I miss those crusty old welders and mechanics that broke me in years ago . . .

  3. #3sled dog2023-03-01 16:44

    When I started so long ago, I asked questions, and I listened, and did what those old guys told me. I wanted to be good on a machine like they were. I got good on yellow iron, and good at welding and good at wrenching. And all those old guys that took the time....well, they're gone now...and we are them...

  4. #4Vetech632023-03-01 18:07

    Let me tell you..................I felt a lot better at 50 than I do at 60! LOL

  5. #5BillG2023-03-01 18:26

    Man oh man..... wait until you get beyond 70.

  6. #6Truck Shop2023-03-01 18:28

    It's knowing your not needed anymore, your way or ideas are old hat. Your just a grumpy old bast**d because you don't know the price point and what's trending now. You talk like a old fart and you even fart like a old fart. Your a PR embarrassment to the office and company. You tell old corny jokes plus most of the time not politically correct. Your not totally computer literate. You have been caught drooling at women half your age. Your wife goes to the doctor with you because she thinks you might hide important medical information. You notice your getting passed on the highway only to check the speedo to see your doing the limit. You start using old guy lingo -pancakes are now hotcakes, we're going to get a drop of rain, I had a crust of bread for lunch. More hair is growing out of your nose and ears than on your head. Your nose and ears are getting bigger and wrinkles on top of wrinkles. But old is relative-There's nothing worse than a old stern mechanic--he has no humor. He's pi$$ed because he sees young mechanics working like he use to. He more than likely thought he never made a mistake plus can't admit it to himself and never will. He doesn't want to learn new stuff. He finds where the other old mechanics hang out for early morning coffee to set and swap stories they've told hundreds of times before. Old is relative it happens to everyone of us. If you didn't ache in the morning it wouldn't be normal. A mechanics job is a tough one sometimes spending hours working in a contorted position, straining yourself working long hours. In the end when it all comes to a halt, if you were a prideful mechanic and did the best you could you have that to remember. Because as soon as you leave your work place {That damn Ralph did that couldn't tell him anything} you become the next fall guy. April 30th will be my last day, the end to 49 years steady mechanic work. Can't please everyone so to the ones who want to cuss me at work {You Can Kiss My Rosy Red ***} Notice folks I never used the term {Tech}----------I'm a mechanic, I don't work on spaceships.

  7. #7cuttin edge2023-03-01 19:46

    I started the gym this year to try and keep the old man away. Got into a groove, started feelin really good, wife thinks my mood has never been better. Try not to look at the young stuff, but those pants they wear.... Anyway got too cocky this week and hurt my foot. Hoping it doesn't put me off for too long, or I might start getting lazy and hateful again.

  8. #8CM19952023-03-01 19:51

    Turned 50 this year and never felt more motivated at life both personal and business other than my right knee hurts, can't see **** up close or in the dark without a flashlight and I am over due for a colonoscopy. Getting old beats the alternative Every-Single-Time.

  9. #9Truck Shop2023-03-01 20:01

    50--That's prostate biopsy time ---oh joy oh rupture.

  10. #10stinky642023-03-01 20:18

    Think I posted this before but, when I started wrenching I was the youngest guy in the shop, full of **** and vinegar and soaked up knowledge from the old timers like a sponge. When I pulled the plug I was the oldest guy in the shop, soak up beer like a sponge and **** vinegar.

  11. #11Truck Shop2023-03-01 20:34

    When I was in high school the slang term for old farts was {Blue Head-on oxygen} now it's been changed to the politically correct {Old Heads}.

  12. #12chidog2023-03-01 21:15

    It is not fun being one of the youngest in a shop (any shop), nor is it fun when you become the oldest in a shop, especially when you get the jobs that the young kid should have.

  13. #13_Weldman_2023-03-01 21:39

    I'm the only mechanic/technician in the shop I am in (yes I said technician cause I do use computers and deal with technical side of problems too) The old one who gave me problems is out to the fields and away from me. Boss is about 26 which is about, no wait oh ***** he is half my age never thought I would say that, but only reason he is, is cause daddy gave him the company. Daddy came around barking orders, sure kept them directed at others and kept his distance from me, guess they heard this one bites back. Those aren't wrinkles, those are story lines and yes each one has a story behind it, no grey hair "YET" and I earned those with my scars. They say one year in infantry in US Army is 3 years of wear and tear on ones body, I'm almost 90 in that regards if you add my current age with years served Never had any old timers teach me though now I see myself teaching others. The owner/operators do their own maintenance and one today did oil change and said only way he could get filter out is drop it on the ground it's too big and heavy, told him drive a screwdriver through the bottom of it let it drain then drop it so oil isn't going all over the shop. As for story swapping, eh I keep away from them, not brightest crayons and sub par quality civilians when they crack beers open at 1653 hrs.

  14. #14John C.2023-03-01 22:04

    Had lunch with Excavator today. Nothing better than two gray haired wrenches telling war stories. He's such a gentleman he had his credit card out before I could get my hand close to my wallet. Was a good day!

  15. #15chidog2023-03-02 00:38

    I'd go to lunch with you sometime, and gladly let you pull out your wallet.

  16. #16chidog2023-03-02 00:40

    There have been a few times having younger bosses. But only one time having one that was very good, all the rest not so great, and hard to deal with. But then again even some of the older ones were like children, I noticed that alot in the heavy equipment construction business, like big kids with big toys.

  17. #17Welder Dave2023-03-02 01:52

    My thought process on retiring and old age has gone through a bunch of different scenarios. Getting a cancer diagnosis at 57 really throws a wrench in the spokes. My last job less than a year before that was eliminated. It was a pretty good desk job providing technical support for sales people, mostly concerning welding and metal work. Way less physical than welding but almost too much less. While taking some time deciding what I wanted to do got hit with the shocking cancer diagnosis, Multiple Myeloma. At first thought about just selling my property with the MX and oval tracks thinking I'd be in no condition to do much of anything. All of a sudden money and material things didn't matter too much. I went through quite a bit including a stem cell transplant that really wiped me out and I'm still trying to recover from. I'm a lot better but still ache and get fatigued pretty fast. The cancer has been in full remission for several month's now and has a good prognosis long term. I'm not really interested in selling my property that quick anymore but instead want to try and get the oval track developed so I can have a viable motorsports facility. One of the biggest issues is although I'm more motivated and want to do more I don't think my body and energy level will allow me to do as much as I'd like to. This really sucks but hopefully I can get some more help this year. I need to find a happy medium so I can still be productive without being totally burnt out. I don't want to just sit around doing nothing and still be aching. Actually doing nothing makes me ache more and my joints stiffer. Hopefully I keep improving so I can be more productive and keep running my toys. There's a lot of satisfaction in having an event or even people coming out to practice and saying how good the track was and they can't wait to come back. I had a reputation for doing track prep. at another semi-famous track before I opened mine that I was proud of so want to try and keep that reputation. My dad always said to do the best you can so I'm going to try. F%$#@! the cancer!

  18. #18Old Doug2023-03-02 08:12

    I am 56 i fill like i am in ok shape . If i put in a hard day i can tell it that night. One big thing is sleeping i dont sleep good. The day before i sleep maybe 4 hours got up drove 40 miles cut up scrap for 2 hours drove back home helped mount tires on my sisters Jeep then drove the 40 miles agin 15 on a bad gravel road the rest is very bad black top highway to show stuff to a buyer then drove back home. That road is so bad i would say it compares to driveing 100 miles or more on good roads . When i got home i spent a hour getting the other truck packed and ready to go back friday. I was tired . I do alot of thinking like how should i do this what truck do i use how much can i get done. I belive that is as tiring as working hard.

  19. #19mekanik2023-03-02 10:10

    I'm in pretty good shape for 63 and 45 years of wrenching. I'm still working part time and the body is holding up so far. When I turn 65 in a a year and a half and my pensions kick in I will have a decision to make. I do a lot of electrical and electronic troubleshooting and repairs and I really enjoy the challenge. I get the odd job that makes me question why I am still working though. A friend of mine in his mid seventies told me "It's amazing how once you are in your seventies you can injure yourself sleeping"

  20. #20chidog2023-03-02 15:46

    Injure yourself sleeping. I could do that long before 70's.

  21. #21_Weldman_2023-03-02 16:14

    I can respect this one, he does actual work. Likewise right now he is out hauling cattle, then again what do you do when you are a driver short and this mechanic is needed more in the shop than on the road. On a different note I’m allowed ear buds with noise cancellation cause of my problems from war, but I finally got some yesterday and had it custom tuned to my ability to hear certain tones. Yeah I’m 50% deaf in one ear, thanks for telling me Uncle Sam at my last hearing test, I wear ear plugs even when running cutting torch so it’s not civilian life noise.

  22. #22crane operator2023-03-02 17:22

    I'm right there with you. I turned 50 last summer, I'm old enough now, that I don't get wrapped around the axle with little problems like I used to. My wife says I've mellowed out a little bit. I really enjoy what I do and have a great group of guys to work with.

  23. #23Welder Dave2023-03-02 23:51

    The older you get the less you can trust a fart.

  24. #24Truck Shop2023-03-03 05:38

    People who are just bubbly, smiling all the time, have a skip in their step, just full of optimism, life of the party, light up the room, just all aglow, every other word is on the positive side.------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Either has had zero tough times or zero real tragedy, been extremely lucky. But in fact they don't live any longer than the rest. Simple fact. Plus their **** stinks like everybody else. My goal has been to find one of those type each day and torment them a little bit just to drag them off their cloud.

  25. #25stinky642023-03-03 09:17

    I considered being called a cranky old ba$tard a badge of honor. Now that I'm no longer dealing with a bunch of whiny *** drivers and incompetent turds on a daily basis I'm not so angry, my blood pressure has gone down exponentially and I do smile a little more, in fact lately I find myself walking through the woods collecting sap buckets, talking to the chicadees and laughing my *** for no reason. Uh Oh , Ahh life is grand.

  26. #26mekanik2023-03-03 09:20

    There is the possibility that they are just plain stupid!

  27. #27HarleyHappy2023-03-03 11:16

    Or they haven’t checked their retirement funds lately.

  28. #28boaterri2023-03-03 11:23

    Getting old, it ain't for sissies. I'm 67, retired at 64 thanks to Covid. (Didn't get it, just didn't want to get it) My wife says I have become a much calmer, happier person since retirement.

  29. #29Mobiltech2023-03-03 11:32

    For the independent mechanics I don’t know if retirement ever really happens. You just work less hours , have looong coffee breaks,take time with the grandkids and only take the jobs you like doing. I enjoy a good out of frame engine rebuild or a power shift trans in my shop. No rush, pays good and not too many surprises.

  30. #30Tugger22023-03-03 11:40

    Hit 50 never even noticed it,too busy . Hit 65 last fall not quite so busy but still good to carry on for a while . Had a serious accident a week later on the job and came to full stop with too much time to think about things.Recovering well but feeling pretty old right now but i think ill be carrying on doing something useful .What else does a guy do? The couch isnt for me.

  31. #31Truck Shop2023-03-03 11:58

    I have two jobs already lined up to do as I want to when I want to. Rebuild a set of jakes and a tune-up on a 3ZJ, the second is a out of frame on a 525 N-14. That one someone will have to do the heavy stuff. I can could have plenty to do just don't want to push it and have a blow out in my artery. But I would like some time for myself also.

  32. #32cuttin edge2023-03-03 12:02

    We have a lot of guys in their early 70s still working. One fella, a truck driver. 73, had a heart attack last fall. Can't wait to get back to work. Some people age well. Government ticket taker. He's on a lot of jobs with us. Someone asked him if he was getting close to 65. He pulled out his ID, and turns out he is 74. I wouldn't have believed him. I spoke to him last week at the grocery store, and he is still going back to work for DOT this season. If my dad was still alive, he would be 82? I think he would have been working if he was able. Now my sister is 65 this fall, and she keeps telling her boss to get someone for her to train, because she is done. Asphalt roller man has been talking retirement since he was 65. Better train someone.... He turned 70 this past summer, and when the plant shut down for the season, he hung up his hard hat. The guy that runs the service truck is also an asphalt roller man, as well as running the back roller when paving roads. He has cancer, and is not expected to return. One think to roll asphalt on a straight road, or a big parking lot, but what about that driveway with the low points for water, and the round about in front of the house? Shoulda trained someone.

  33. #33Truck Shop2023-03-03 13:54

    We have driver here that's 83. Started driving when was 19. Pretty close to 8 million miles. Still turns 600 miles plus a day.

  34. #34_Weldman_2023-03-03 16:06
  35. #35Welder Dave2023-03-03 17:21

    For some people working past their normal retirement actually relaxes them. Gives them something to do, a sense of accomplishment or a way to keep in touch with all the friends they've made over the years. You hear stories of people retiring and being miserable because they're bored. Some people have had everything given to them and don't know the meaning of a dollar or putting in a good days work. I'm never really cheery without a care in the world but hope I don't become the grouchy old man nobody wants anything to do with. I can still give some good advice and won't bite your head off if you ask.

  36. #36Acoals2023-03-03 17:58

    How about Al Blackman . . . https://onemileatatime.com/news/oldest-american-airlines-employee/

  37. #37Acoals2023-03-03 18:02

    There is a sand and gravel outfit I work with often that has two guys driving dump, both 75, both guys out drive and outhaul a whole fleet of guys half their age. Also both guys are there on Saturday hauling gravel onto my job when nobody else wanted to show up.

  38. #38cuttin edge2023-03-03 18:41

    Unless things change big time. I'll retire with nothing. I'll own my home, but will I be able to keep it up with a basic pension. My wife is a smoker, and has worked minimum wage jobs her whole life, so her pension will be peanuts. I'll probably have to work as long as I am capable just to eat.

  39. #39Truck Shop2023-03-03 19:17

    With inflation many will be in that boat unfortunately. It has become a huge factor in retirement. Here combined with health costs and property taxes, you just try to live never mind traveling. Really health problems are for the rich in some cases. One individual I knew worth millions had pancreatic cancer I remember him saying {You know I can buy what ever I want but even with all the money I have I can't buy my health}.

  40. #40chidog2023-03-03 20:06

    Working into your 70's or even 80's is fine. But when parts of your body won't allow steady hours of it, or allow you to keep up the pace then? Driving and operating equipment jobs vs doing heavy mechanical work are 2 different things.

  41. #41_Weldman_2023-03-03 20:15

    I retired once, will again at whatever SS age is when I get around to it. Only went back to work to not take a loan out, but doesn't mean I will stick around for the next retirement party. Got my own party to attend to after a bit of working.

  42. #42FarmWrench2023-03-03 20:15

    Got vertigo at 50. First ear infection since I was an infant. Kicked me down HARD. I'd heard a lot of "without your health you don't have much" but it didn't really hit home, until it hit home. I got expelled from my doctor at 40 and it hasn't gotten any better dealing with them. (Long, funny stories) I'd never thought I would be able to afford children but somehow got one out of the house and is doing a lot better than I ever had. The other kid is on the right track. I'll be working till I die.... unless I suddenly wise up a start making better money or it works out like having kids.

  43. #43Welder Dave2023-03-04 00:53

    Driving and operating equipment can take a toll on your body too. Thankfully modern equipment is much more ergonomic and comfortable. Have met a few truckers who have trouble getting around now after years of climbing in and out of trucks.

  44. #44JAKES.2023-03-04 07:21

    Since I am hovering around 50 (49) This thread speaks to me too. I’m active and mobile no complaints..but I sure wish I was more diligent with eye and hearing protection in the earlier years of my work life. My eyesight is agingI noticed recently during my CDL physical I really had to squint to read the lower letters on the chart. Now I am the old guy in the field at work and working alongside the children of people I grew up with!

  45. #45Steve Frazier2023-03-04 09:52

    I've found life gets better as it goes on. I've learned to cope with what seems to be impossible situations and let criticism bounce off me. By this time in life I'm comfortable with who I am and don't give a rat's ass what others think of me. I treat people the way I'd like to be treated and most times receive it in return. I've got a lot of aches and pains that I wish I didn't but I'm still able to get out of bed each morning. I've been through a time of severe hardship where I didn't want to wake up the next morning but now that I dug through that it makes me appreciate today so much more. The way I see it is if you find misery in everything you're going to have a miserable life, I choose to focus on the good in everything and enjoy what life has to offer. I take time to appreciate sunsets, stare at the stars at night and will stop in my travels if I spot a waterfall in the woods. Yea, there are times where an aging body sucks but like CM1995 mentioned, it beats the alternative.

  46. #46CM19952023-03-04 14:53

    Amen Steve - Spring seems to be coming a little early down here so the wife, the dog and I are enjoying it on the Black Warrior River this weekend. Life is Good. Now to schedule that colonoscopy.

  47. #47Coaldust2023-03-04 15:15

    Don’t stress about the CDL medical examination eye chart. Just memorize line 6 forward and backwards. Flirt with the medical assistant to distract her.

  48. #48DMiller2023-03-04 15:55

    As noted I am 66, Been down a couple less traveled paths and am paying for it. As to passing 50 or even 60, best get that popcorn and Beer ready as that carnie ride just picks up steam and adds ALL so much more to the mix!!!

  49. #49mekanik2023-03-04 15:59

    A friend turned 60 a couple years ago. He told me "The best part about being 60 years old is that your remaining supply of brain cells is down to a manageable number"

  50. #50DMiller2023-03-04 16:02

    I can attest to that!!!

  51. #51Welder Dave2023-03-04 18:06

    Getting older helps you appreciate a lot of things more and hopefully gives you more empathy and compassion for people who don't appear to be doing as well as you. I say don't appear to be because those people might be very content with their lives and don't let their issues get in the way of enjoying their time on this earth.

  52. #52Truck Shop2023-03-04 18:19

    The one thing that really bothers me is socks that have a seam in the toe. My old feet don't like them, bunch and wad up in the booties.

  53. #53chidog2023-03-11 01:17

    Yes and just getting on and off a machine can almost mess you up at times. I used to worry about running a dozer in a heavy push and the pumping or bouncing action from the tracks, in the old D8's, worried if it could cause eye problems and such.

  54. #54Tones2023-03-11 01:53

    For you younger 50ish fellas remember this. Retirement can be dangerous. If you sit and do nothing your average life span is 3 months. That is a statistical fact. On my 74th rotation of the sun and at times pull 14 hour days and love it

  55. #55DMiller2023-03-11 06:49

    That is the curse of many retirees They worked so hard so decide to laze back a few weeks months up to a year where most do not ever recover to enjoy any time not working. My FIL and own Dad did as that. Dad made it some 15 years but on a power scooter and drunk 90% of the time. FIL passed less than 5 years from retiring.

  56. #56Truck Shop2023-03-11 07:44

    Let's not get too positive folks--or this thread will start a Kumbaya segment.

  57. #57joe--h2023-03-11 12:22

    So sitting on the couch watching Jerry Spring & Oprah isn't good for you? Joe H

  58. #58Truck Shop2023-03-11 13:04

    You left out the 32oz Big Gulp.

  59. #59Tugger22023-03-11 13:30

    They seemed to have cancelled Jerry on all our chanels ,watched every episode of Big Timber 3 times nothing worthwhile to watch now might as well go to work.

  60. #60Old Doug2023-03-11 15:30

    If i thought i was going to live to be 74 and still working my butt off i would end it now. I like to work it hard for me to just seat around but i hope i can slow down someday.

  61. #61Truck Shop2023-03-11 16:15

    Watching tv really bit the dust with me when cartoons like Touche Turtle, Secret Squirrel and Morocco Mole ended.

  62. #62mowingman2023-03-11 17:05

    I am almost 73. With me, TV pretty much ended with the demise of Rocky and Bullwinkle. I am not one to sit around in retirement. Even though my back seems permanently retired, I can still pass a DOT physical, and there is still a great need for school bus drivers. So, it is "back in the saddle again" time. However, being retired means I can tell the boss I will not drive morning routes. No more waking up at 4:00 AM to haul kids to school. I only sub in the afternoon. Jeff

  63. #63John C.2023-03-11 17:19

    Saw the trend early on when started working at the first dealer. Old timers retire and three years later were listed in the back section of the local paper. Dealer wrenches didn't get any easy jobs in those days and service trucks didn't have air compressors, welders and cranes. Those guys were worn out! Lots of hammers, bars and chains with maybe a cable sling or two. I loved turning wrenches and figuring out problems but wanted to get more than three years after putting them away. I'll just keep on working when I want and figure my three years doesn't start until I get rooted to the recliner.

  64. #64Truck Shop2023-03-11 18:39

    Here is a old man------------------still getting it done as he did in 1970.

  65. #65Willie B2023-03-11 19:57

    I will never suffer an hour of boredom if I have health & enough money to entertain myself. SO many dreams! First project will be a mortice & tenon timber framed cabin. I have the foundation in place from before life got away from me. I want to build furniture. Not the pressed sawdust variety. I want to build the stuff built 300 years ago. If I could find the customers, heavy equipment welding would keep me entertained. Mrs. B likes local travel, 5 weekends a year plus a trip to Acadia for a week would be plenty of travel for me. Left knee makes skiing not fun any more. Aside from that, Mrs. B claims rocks & trees are my hobbies. Scarcely a rock or tree I don't want moved. Meanwhile at age 66 I'm much in demand as an electrician. I love the work, not the clerical component. I envy those with a wife takes care of that.

  66. #66chidog2023-03-11 23:35

    Retirement ? It depends on who you are and what your interests are. People with no interests, and or hobbies, they won't last long. I never liked to live by the clock, or to have to rush a mechanic project. Running machines? always liked to rush those projects though.

  67. #67CM19952023-03-11 23:47

    My plan for retirement is travel to as many places my finances and body will go. First start with South America and expand from there. Who knows might even find a nice place somewhere in Chile or Argentina to settle down - in the mountains of course.

  68. #68chidog2023-03-12 16:24

    Traveling to me, is work. I'd be more relaxed doing a project, and these days much safer.

  69. #69Truck Shop2023-03-12 17:38

    I took one trip to Hawaii in 1997. Fortunately it was aboard Aloha airlines and not Pop a Top Airlines. From the time spent loading into the flying cattle car to destination 8 hours, six in flight smelling the armpits, dirty diapers and constant swamp ***. Wanted first class but was sold out. By the time I got home I was worn out, wife wanted to go we went and that was the last time.

  70. #70DMiller2023-03-12 18:16

    Been to Hawaia Once as well. Got talked into a three island hop over Nine days. Enjoyed the museums on Oahu and at Pearl Harbor. Next to Kauai, too windy, no swimming except hotel pool. Food was good but was a lazy two and half days. Did try a trip by boat to Kings Canyon historic site, several could not handle the constant rise and fall were seasick the entire 45min ride. Not a good excursion. Last was Maui. Liked Maui, plenty to see and do, water calm, great two and half days. Flight to was similar experience, Delta STL to DEN cramped loads of people on return to DEN, BO was bad. DEN to Oahu nonstop, was ready to get off when got there. Slept a half day away just beat. Aloha on island hops, Aloha back to LA then Delta back to STL nonstop and ready to be off plane again. Lost luggage on trip home. Bags showed two days later.

  71. #71CM19952023-03-12 18:55

    Only time wife and I were in Hawaii was a 1 AM stop in Honolulu for fuel in route from LA to Manilla then on to Hong Kong. Love to go back and actually experience the state. Been to China twice and I have zero desire to ever go back. DM at least Delta lost your bags on the way home. Flying out Tuesday morning to Vegas for Conexpo on Southwest. Plane leaves BHM at 5:30 AM, it's going to be brutal for the better 1/2 who's not a morning person.

  72. #72John C.2023-03-12 20:18

    Did a job on the big Island a couple of years ago now. I enjoyed the climate and the exploring and such. Spend far too many nights in hotels in my lifetime so that was so so. The rental car was nice. Alaska Airlines there and back. Five or six hours and off the plane. Everything went smooth and the job paid well. The wife went with me and we both enjoyed all of it. Not a big tourist spot unless you like volcanos, jungles and gold courses.

  73. #73masterwelder2023-03-12 23:00

    Left NY on Friday heading to Phoenix. Went to the nascar race today and we leave for Vegas and the Conexpo tomorrow morning. They’re saying a major nor’easter for NY early this week…. Sorry I’m going to miss it. I love to work but you got to stop and smell the roses to put it all in perspective.

  74. #7456wrench2023-03-13 09:16

    I always find that after a vacation i have to go home to rest.

  75. #75Tugger22023-03-13 12:07

    Wife and i went to Hawaii in 1996.We spent 2 weeks on the big island and explored most of it. We dont like big flashy places so it was great.Landing in Kona i thought we had landed on Mars with all that black lava . It was a great trip. Done a couple of trips to Mexico since and a few road trips down thru eastern Wash,to Arizona and then back up the coast .Really enjoyed those ,no plan just pick a back road and see where it goes.

  76. #76mekanik2023-03-13 12:12

    My son and his wife went to Hawaii a couple years ago. The resort where they stayed were nice. They rented a car to do some sight seeing and were shocked by how many homeless people there are.

  77. #77Tugger22023-03-13 12:21

    Im sure the homeless are all given free rides to warm places,look at Vancouver BC.Warm with free drugs ,we are doomed.

  78. #78DMiller2023-03-13 16:02

    On Oahu we went to N Shore, could NOT believe the level of shack farmers(BTW Do NOT eat their products, Human Fertilized). SPAM is the meal of convenience with fresh poop tainted fruits and veges.

  79. #79wlhequipment2023-03-13 16:13

    It has been absolutely fascinating, watching this thread evolve. It's almost like a child, taking on a life of its own. I want to nurture it, teach it, protect it, watch it grow

  80. #80Truck Shop2023-03-13 16:41

    Spam is poop.

  81. #81DMiller2023-03-13 17:31

    Hold that thought, NEXT turn may happen at ANY moment now!!

  82. #82cuttin edge2023-03-13 17:56

    Yeah, all the crack heads here are trying to figure out how to get to BC

  83. #83John C.2023-03-13 18:46

    They found their way to Seattle, Tacoma and Portland. We will gladly give them a map and teach them how to say aye.

  84. #84stinky642023-03-13 19:08

    Sizzle pork and MMMMMM. I actually buy the cheaper brand from our local Sav-a-lot store, the tin just says Pork on the label.So salty and greasy, so absolutely bad it's GOOOOD. I think there's like ten flavors of spam in Hawaii, it's like their main meat staple for years. At least that's that is what I've seen on Discovery and Diners, Drive Ins and Dives.

  85. #85mekanik2023-03-13 19:42

    There is a new drug on the street that is more abused than fentanyl its called xylazine. Xylazine is a large animal sedative used by vets. It can be smoked or injected. Over time the drug users develop open sores from it and without treatment they can end up having to have limbs amputated from gangrene. Its a sad situation because there is no rehabilitating them.

  86. #86Truck Shop2023-03-13 20:00

    Something I've never been able to understand-ruining ones life by the bottle or needle.

  87. #87DMiller2023-03-14 06:22

    No kidding, seen both here too and have to question Why? Took opiates for pain never addicted as did squat so just quit as would only lock up my intestines, smoked like a chimney but was more out of stress and something to keep hands busy, quit that cold against three to five packs per day as was tired of it, and alcohol, makes a nice release ON OCCASION, I just do not expand Occasion to every day or all day. Can actually have ONE or TWO beers and be fine, or A SINGLE whiskey for a afternoon. Watched my own Dad dive into the brown bottle never to come back out, will NOT do that.

  88. #88cuttin edge2023-03-14 09:34

    Mental health is a kicker. They have proven that dangerous play as a child helps you cope with stress as an adult. Kids today are raised in a bubble. Back in the day, one parent always stayed home, now both work, and kids are raised in daycare and by electronic devices. Hardly anyone sits a the table to eat as a family anymore. Social media has destroyed family, religion, politics. No such thing a friendly debates anymore, pretty much just if you don't agree with me, I hate you and wish you harm. No wonder people turn to chemicals.

  89. #89Truck Shop2023-03-14 10:50

    Drugs have been a part of American society since the 50's, after WWII there were more morphine addicts than people realized.

  90. #90John C.2023-03-14 11:06

    Opium dens were in San Francisco in the early 1900s. Coke started out with real cocaine in the late 1800s. People were huffing nitrous oxide at parties in the 1850s. Don't know where alcohol actually started.

  91. #91Acoals2023-03-14 11:33

    Well, Noah is recorded as having planted a vineyard and made wine, roughly about 2500 BC ....

  92. #92John C.2023-03-14 15:56

    So being addicted to somehow getting high is ingrained in our DNA?

  93. #93DMiller2023-03-14 18:33

    Nah, just our desires

  94. #94Truck Shop2023-03-14 19:09

    In some areas apparently so.

  95. #95cuttin edge2023-03-14 19:46

    That was good TV. Where oh where are you tonight? Why did you leave me here all alone? I searched the world over and thought I found true love. You met another and pltttt you was gone.

  96. #96cuttin edge2023-03-14 19:53

    Our brains crave pleasure. Sex, runners look for that high, body builders want the pump. I know I feel really good when I leave the gym, and if I go steady, I miss the reward my brain gives me for doing something healthy. Thrill seekers need that rush. Most of us are smart enough avoid drugs, I would hope anyway. Some can't. My wife watched her mother fight for every last breath before she died, but yet she can't quit smoking

  97. #97Willie B2023-03-14 21:03

    My son & daughter in law just came from there. I forget which island. They said the whole economy is tourism. When Covid came tourism stopped. A major share of the working class had no income. Countless people lost housing. The government opened the campgrounds to the homeless. Later the government tried to send these people on their way without success.

  98. #98DMiller2023-03-15 06:39

    Is what happens when a Industrial or Heavy Business economy flips to service sector. Workers evaporate from the previous, easy money spurs the growth of that service sector and yet any small flutter to large calamity will set it back on its heels into crisis.

  99. #99terex herder2023-03-15 14:46

    If you think 50 sucks you're a wimp. I passed that years ago. Am currently setting in ER with a tough as nails 90+ yo who waited to long to admit he needed to see the Doc. I know well I haven't seen anything yet.

  100. #100DMiller2023-03-15 16:10

    Did that several years ago!!

  101. #101Truck Shop2023-03-15 18:53

    In this business age can suddenly creep up, most issue at 50 are passed off as small not important. At 60 you notice a few more issues but you still feel like your in decent shape. At 65 things have taken a turn, you just don't move as smooth and fast. That knee that kind of had a ache once in while has turned into a constant reminder. You find turning your head to check traffic on your right the range has diminished. Your hands-the finger joints are starting to raise and enlarge. All things that come with this type of work. On a recent visit to the cardiologist he introduced himself sat down and said {By the look of your hands you don't work in a bank, wow those have a lot of miles on them and that tells me tons about you}. Really no one should expect to do this type of work without realizing the toll it will take if a lot of effort is put in the job. Yes jacks, hoists and all the other helpful items reduce the wear & tear on ones body, but that is a ideal situation-we know there is no ideal situations with this type of work. Just try to retire with all your digits it makes it easier to hold the toilet paper.

  102. #102John C.2023-03-16 13:51

    At my annual physical last August the doctor told me I could get a blood draw at any time without an appointment. Said I was pre-diabetic and should get that done at least every six months. Been feeling a little funny lately so went in this morning to see if the doctor told the truth about the quick check. Check in lady says I'm first and I no sooner sit for the usual wait when I hear my name called out. Little lady who called my name shows me back to the blood chamber and points to what looks like a modified electric chair without the funny cap on top. Then she asks for my cards. I had them out for the check in lady but put them away just before I sat down to wait. I almost have to standup to get to my wallet. I guess one computer wasn't enough as she is working on two computers. Finally she gets done and starts setting up. She goes to the other side of the room and pulls out two jars and a finger length vial. Next a contraption with a length of hose. I make a comment about the usual test for an A1C seemed to use only the small vial. She looks at me and says you must be special. About that time I feel the sting and see my internal fluid start spurting into the first jar. I mention that the pump must be working and she replies, "it appears so." She pulls out the first vial and inserts the second. The spurting happens again when she mentions something about high blood pressure people filling the jars up pretty fast. I am a bit slow in the morning, particularly when I haven't had any coffee, when it dawns on me what she meant by that and I look down to see the small vile starting to fill. Before I can open my mouth that is full and the lady has the patch of gauze over the needle and that stretchy stuff wrapped around my arm to hold the gauze in place. Have a nice day and I'm out of the chair on the way out the door. On the drive home I'm wondering about those extra two jars, when the results will come back and how long it will take to get my first cup of coffee pored.

  103. #103cuttin edge2023-03-16 15:00

    Few months time, a clone of John C joins HEF

  104. #104Tugger22023-03-16 15:38

    I guess a guys gotta think about backing his relief off at this age.

  105. #105Truck Shop2023-03-16 17:37

    Funny-I had to get blood lab work done yesterday before a late MRI on afternoon Monday. Anywho I walked in checked in for lab work, and walked out done all in less than 8 minutes.

  106. #106Truck Shop2023-03-16 17:52

    I was bugged about something I stated about a flight to Hawaii. I said I didn't fly on Pop a Top airlines but flew on Aloha Airlines. That was in correct Pop a Top and Aloha are one in the same. The 1988 Pop a Top disaster.

  107. #107terex herder2023-03-16 19:10

    Any words of wisdom?

  108. #108Truck Shop2023-03-16 19:55

    Stay out of air planes.

  109. #109DMiller2023-03-16 20:26

    Uncle was 86 went out for a visit, macular degeneration L eye, had to get hearing aids, grumpy except when around myself or my older brother. WWII Navair vet would not ever complain of anything. Let him do much of the talking, he would open a little at a time but never very much or very often. Just listen, be patient, be receptive and try not to argue even if know right.

  110. #110terex herder2023-03-16 20:56

    Airplanes don't bother me a bit. Being treated worse than livestock while waiting to board said airplane chaps my ***. I'll drive, thank you.

  111. #111chidog2023-03-16 21:06

    MRI ? I was under the impression that machinists and welders can't have them? Small metal lodged in the body stuff I think. I wonder about metal implants? Hmm annual medical exam I think that was over 5 years ago, though more recent eye exams. Airplanes, only if they are not flyby wire, and I'm the one flying it.

  112. #112Truck Shop2023-03-16 21:18

    I've had lots of MRI's recently, I just make sure and fill out the questionnaire plus tell them about my lower back. Plus I carry a image in my wallet.

  113. #113John C.2023-03-16 22:23

    I know you have a magnetic personality but I don't think that matters in the MRI. The screw I have in my neck is titanium so not magnetic.

  114. #114chidog2023-03-16 23:11

    It amazes me how Dr's will put stuff in a persons body that none of us mechanic sorts would ever use on an old rusted out pile of junk. So what are the small vertical pin looking things between the vertebra where the disk is? I understand back problems very well.

  115. #115_Weldman_2023-03-16 23:15

    I'm considered 100% SC P&T (service connected, permanent and total disability) and I get to front of the line. Problem is I don't want to be in the line that is here in this city. Though if I need something I give'em a jingle on the tele for next city which is 3 hours away. Every time I show up before I get through the doors they are calling for me, wife looks at me and asks what did you do to be so special since everyone has been in the lobby for hours. Appointments now are another problem, 6 weeks sometimes for X rays, I think it will be grown back by then crooked. Take it to the civilian ER room they say since I live so far away, yeah right, by the time the VA denies or approves paying for it the civilian hospital has already sent the bill a few times and the creditors are dinging your credit. Times have changed since then, I think you can't have your credit dinged from hospital bills anymore.

  116. #116kshansen2023-03-17 07:13

    "We can rebuild him; we have the technology"

  117. #117Truck Shop2023-03-17 07:50

    That's bovine bone insert's to fuse.

  118. #118cuttin edge2023-03-17 10:25

    Do they pre-drill for the screws, and are they stainless, or just regular deck screws?

  119. #119cuttin edge2023-03-17 10:29

    I remember that. The stewardess got sucked into the hole, and the sudden blockage caused the rest of the section to come off. Wife thinks I am crazy to watch Mayday.... she hates flying.

  120. #120stinky642023-03-17 10:31

    Self tappers.

  121. #121stinky642023-03-17 10:32

    Yikes! That hurts just looking at it.

  122. #122Truck Shop2023-03-17 11:06

    Just deck screws, I was told the operation took a little longer because they were short a few, had to send the hospital janitor to Home Depot to scrounge up a couple. lol

  123. #12356wrench2023-03-17 11:34

    When i got my second dental crown and found out how much the cost had gone up, i asked my dentist if i could just break a piece off an old porcelain shitter and his fancy cnc machine could just make a new cheaper crown? He just laughed

  124. #124DMiller2023-03-17 15:20

    These are in my neck currently Next one up from those where the margin is decreasing is where problems lay now.

  125. #125chidog2023-03-17 15:34

    I watch airdisasters all the time. Its good that high time equipment operators are not like high time pilots that forgot how to fly a plane, and can't even recover from a stall. New airliners are pretty scary, too many gadgets in the cockpits, and lack of control cables.

  126. #126cuttin edge2023-03-17 16:30

    The brother of a guy that used to price jobs where I work is a pilot. He has his own little runway for his plane. I graded it for him a few times. He flew for Air Canada for years, and I believe his daughter flies the second seat in a 777. Said when you are landing a 747, and your rear gear touches the runway, you are 13 stories in the air in the cockpit. I asked him what his thoughts were on 1549 going in the Hudson river. He said that is a prime example of what they want in a pilot. He didn't panic, he was clear and level headed, and he saved those people.

  127. #127Tones2023-03-17 17:48

    Sully is a glider pilot who understands when you commit to landing there's no up.

  128. #128cuttin edge2023-03-17 20:14

    "My aircraft"

  129. #129chidog2023-03-17 20:33

    And be very happy the electronic controls had power, if not Sully wouldn't have made it. He is an awesome pilot, it seems most that have tried a ditching in a modern jet liner end up ripping it apart.

  130. #130Old Doug2023-03-17 21:34

    If you dont like religious stuff dont read any farther. I was racing 1/4 mile Dirt track cars rolled a car 7 times the cage colapsed and the seat belt broke my collarbone . My back was also killing me . I got to the hospital just happen no ambulance that night at the races. They Xrayed my back my back was broken . They put me in a ambulance and hauled me to the city. I know what my future looked like and i was scared . My mom got to the first hospital and rode to the city in the ambulance with me. I prayed to God i wouldnt be paralized i know my mom did the same and she called home and told Dad what had happen and to prayed for me. They looked the x rays over that i had with me and told me not to move because i could be paralized i was straped and taped to a board . They took more xrays . Then and started running more tests. I meet with a specialist he said when did i have the surgery on my back ? I meet another Doctor and he ask about what had happen to my back and when was it repaired? I told him i never had a back surgery before . He left the room then came back and started questioning me agin it was like i was a criminal and he was a cop trying to get the truth out of me. I was gettin mad i told him wouldnt i have a scar ? He finaly said i dont know what has happen but your back it is ok . They cut me lose from the board and put my arm in a sling for my broken collarbone.

  131. #131DMiller2023-03-18 10:08

    Sounds like those Voo Doo practicing Veterinarians that worked on me in '77. Maybe they got a better offer at your hospital.

  132. #132cuttin edge2023-03-18 11:05

    First thing they did was start up the APU

  133. #133cuttin edge2023-03-18 11:16

    Nothing wrong with that. You believe or you don't. I look at it 2 ways. If you do, and you have faith, nothing anyone says or does should affect your belief, and you shouldn't feel threatened by them. If you don't believe, that's your choice, and you shouldn't be trying to turn others away from what they believe. We all die at some point, and it is, or it isn't, no reason why both sides can't co-exist.

  134. #13492U 34062023-03-18 14:11
  135. #135cuttin edge2023-03-18 16:09

    Best drummer ever......

  136. #136mekanik2023-03-18 16:22

    I had a teacher in high school that had male pattern baldness. He had 4 or 5 hairs that were probably 20 feet long and in the morning he would weave them back and fourth over the bald area. To him in the mirror it must have looked like he had hair but it looked terrible. My hair line is starting to recede, taller fore head syndrome. I have very bushy eyebrows. I used get my barber to trim them but now I have been letting them grow for a few months out so I can comb them back so no one will know I am going bald.

  137. #137Truck Shop2023-03-18 16:35

    One for everyone to remember---Some guys have a head full of hair--And that's all they got too.

  138. #138Truck Shop2023-03-18 16:42

    I would have to differ on that-Ginger Baker.

  139. #139cuttin edge2023-03-18 17:40
  140. #140DMiller2023-03-18 17:58

    Muscle memory and keen positioning for hand control without looking!!! As well ambidextrous.

  141. #141Truck Shop2023-03-18 18:22
  142. #14292U 34062023-03-18 18:29
  143. #14392U 34062023-03-18 18:33

    A friend of mine recently sent me some pictures they took at a party back when I was 17 or 18. Man I could barely get a comb through that mop back then. Fast forward 15 years, still have lots of hair, its just thinned out a bit but only on the front. Hope I don't have the bald gene but if I do I guess I'll rock the Kim Mitchell or Joe Satriani look.

  144. #144cuttin edge2023-03-18 19:03

    Drummers never get the credit they deserve. Each arm and leg moving in a different time, keeping their place in the song. Then take someone like Don Henley or Phil Colins who also sing

  145. #14592U 34062023-03-18 19:06

    Rick Allen is an amazing drummer despite having 25% less limbs to work with. Anyone hear about this? Def Leppard Drummer Rick Allen 'Recovering In a Safe Space' After Attack Def Leppard drummer Rick Allen was injured after he was attacked by a man outside of his hotel in Fort Lauderdale in Florida. www.rollingstone.com

  146. #146cuttin edge2023-03-18 19:11

    What's wrong with people?

  147. #147Truck Shop2023-03-18 19:45

    It's all aging boomer ology,

  148. #14892U 34062023-03-18 20:42

    Honestly, people are ****ed these days.

  149. #14956wrench2023-03-19 10:32

    My dad always used to say—‘you can’t grow hair and brains both’

  150. #150chidog2023-03-21 19:44

    The boomer generation is the _______ed, generation. We don't get a small portion of the respect that our WW2 parents did. We have grown up in and have lived in a way different world than Gen's before and after us.

  151. #151DMiller2023-03-21 20:03

    I essentially grew up as My Parents and Grands had. We ate what were presented, Did our chores EVERY Day without complaint or took the beating appreciatively. We worked Hard to get into a Better Life, which all we knew was Work Hard or Harder. I made good in life, got some good resultant prizes from Harder work. Watched my Dad and Mom and Grandmother fight for existence everyday as a youth. Wore Hand Me downs, NOTHING went to waste, still have a Remnant Quilt from Grandmother of all the Clothing I wore as a Child. We gardened, we played with what had, we got filthy and sunburnt and loved every minute of it. GenX and Z have no clue as to what life was like in the 1960s or the 1950s for that matter. I remember yet, the construction of US Interstate Highways, still remember travel on US Two and Four lane highways having to negotiate thru small and median sized towns. Was close to seven hours STL to KC MO back in the day, and Yes, knew how to pee in a bandaid tin to keep Pop from having to stop the car. NO AC, Coal Fired Furnaces, Washed house in Spring of Coal ash residue, burned trash in Back Alley of house, all food materials went to compost for garden. Played as a Child on Great Uncle and Aunt's farm for Summers. Collected Eggs, fed Chickens, did it barefoot poop and all. Walked barefoot thru Milking stalls, just had to wash to get back inside house, we Fought to stay OUTSIDE. I said and still use Sir and Ma'am, ASKED not told someone to get me anything or better yet fended for myself.

  152. #152DMiller2023-03-22 10:16

    Related the Interstates Construction to a suspected Gen Z whining of SO Long to get anywhere, her take was they were started after Civil War, no clue her Grandparents likely drove the Old US Highways.

  153. #153Truck Shop2023-03-22 10:37

    To get a good idea of the boomer thought pattern watch a episode of a Barret Jackson or Mecum auction. Watch as the camera pans the audience.

  154. #154John C.2023-03-22 12:38

    Had my followup with the doctor this morning. No clone to transfer my brain into so I have to live with this body for awhile longer. Hit the red line for A1C of 6.5. No diabetes drugs yet but supposed to go with the wife to listen to a life style couch tell us about diet and exercise. Doc ordered a test kit so I can test blood sugar a couple of times a week. Once in the morning before eating and another time at least two hours after eating just to get a base line for when the levels rise. He said it not something I had to do but he thought it might be a help. Told him I've done oil sampling on equipment for more than forty years and that I can relate to his comments. At any rate I haven't rooted my butt in the chair yet so haven't started counting down retirement time yet.

  155. #155Truck Shop2023-03-22 13:35

    Done here April 15th, already hauled 50% plus of tools home. Company will get a two week notice on the 31st. With the way the repair is being handled through the boys in yellow and gray it's such a mess I don't want to deal with it anymore. My friend that own's a machine shop needs someone about two days a week at times, plus other small stuff people want I will have something to while away the hours. I had a CT scan and xrays on Monday late afternoon, talk to doctors today. I know what they are going to say.

  156. #156cuttin edge2023-03-22 14:05

    My blood sugar used to spike in the morning. (Not diabetic) I started taking a couple tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water before bed for acid reflux. Cured my reflux, and no sugar spikes in the am.

  157. #157cuttin edge2023-03-22 14:09

    Always lots to keep one busy in retirement. My father gave up the full time wrench gig, and started driving wrecker for a friend of his before he died. Mechanic, slash machinist, slash welder, slash electrician, slash social worker at my work retired, and hasn't stopped since.

  158. #158John C.2023-03-22 18:58

    I don't feel anything with the projected diabetes. The reflux though just kills me for days. I'll have to try the apple cider vinegar and see if that helps. Problem though is that the check valve on top of my stomach is worn out and doesn't hold anymore.

  159. #159CM19952023-03-22 20:19

    Easy there Boomer - don't know how life was in the 50's or 60's but this is how I grew up. Gen X here that rode bicycles on a chert road with no shoes which taught one how to ride a pedal bike pretty damn quickly. Drank water out of a hose pipe, built forts in the woods with a bow saw and hatchet, played army with stick guns we cut off trees and were locked out of the house during the day in summer time. Loved every minute of it. Raised and killed hogs in late fall. Grandpa had a pine box he made to salt hams. Also raised chickens for eggs and meat in addition to hunting for deer, rabbits and squirrels. I was fortunate at an early age to see where our food comes from and respect it. Parents and grandparents always had a garden we enjoyed working in from planting to harvesting. What I would give to go back to a Saturday lunch at my grandparents with fresh cream corn, green beans, butter beans, black eyed peas, fried chicken and homemade pepper sauce.

  160. #160cuttin edge2023-03-22 21:06

    One of my sisters is a bit of a health nut. She turned me on the the ACV for reflux. It's not enough acid in your stomach that causes the problem, not too much. It has to be a good ACV, not the kind you cook with. Braggs is a good brand. it worked well, and I did some research on it, and it is supposed to be good for a lot of stuff. Some people take it in the morning, I prefer before bed. I have not had a reflux attack in a long time. Don't drink it if you have ulcers though. Be sure to mix it with water, it can be hard on your teeth.

  161. #16192U 34062023-03-22 22:14

    I had a nasty bout of acid reflux in late fall. Doc put me on PPI's one pill daily for 2 months. I've cut way down on pop, coffee and alcohol and have myself weened down to an as needed basis with the pills now. I can usually go almost 2 weeks without needing one.

  162. #162John C.2023-03-22 22:43

    I quit pop years ago, only drinking five cups of coffee in the morning before doing any work and only drink a couple of beers a month. A whiskey or scotch only on special occasions. Doing the second week of the pills now. That stops the burn but not the reflux. I angled the bed up so I can sleep with it reduced a bit. I've been told there is a surgery to help the valve above my stomach to seal better. Also been told the risks and that the fix might be worse than what I go through now. Been working on doing the simple things to reduce the incidents and help with the pain when it shows up. I figure it as part getting old. Age is not for the weak.

  163. #163crane operator2023-03-22 23:16

    Good luck tomorrow.

  164. #164mekanik2023-03-22 23:22

    My doctor told me: "Getting old is not for sissies"

  165. #165chidog2023-03-22 23:24

    The main thing that causes me acid reflux is Canola oil, brother too. If I stay away from it no problems. Very hard to cut it out its in everything. Its GMO rapeseed oil. Pop? Its okay if you use only a small fraction of it diluted with seltzer water, other wise its too sweet.

  166. #166Welder Dave2023-03-23 00:10

    Most guys watching Barret Jackson are much more interested in checking out the girl in tight leather pants *** when she's bending and stretching to put the sold sticker on the cars. They get mad when the camera man misses her. Hope your tests come back OK. I'm frustrated because although the cancer is in full remission recovering from the treatments and stem cell transplant makes me much weaker than I should be for my age. I get fatigued way too easily and lately my joints have been aching a lot. I hope it gets better but I'm aging at the same time. I can appreciate what the guys who have been wrenching/doing physical work for 40 or more years are going through. It does take a toll on the body. There's no way I could do a lot of the stuff I did when I was younger today. It's hard for me to get up if I have to get down on my knee's. Even getting in and out of a vehicle is kind of a slow planned event. My legs were so stiff and sore for a couple days after I went out to clear some snow in the grader. I worry I might lose my grip and fall off.

  167. #167DMiller2023-03-23 06:00

    Our niece from younger brother has three lovely young girls. They were taught early on field animals are ‘food’, no complaints when time to clean wild or slaughter herd stock. No pet names and no flinching when bleed out a pig. Really fun to see them grow as my brothers and I had even as their Momma was not raised that way. She is a late Gen X perhaps a Z as born in 1980s. Her oldest is in Fourth Grade.

  168. #168DMiller2023-03-23 06:05

    Most all cooking oils do that for me, lard is only ‘safe’ cooking oil. Only Commercial Soda/Pop I still catch a bite of is mixed with whiskey. Prefer unsweet tea or Water with meals. Coffee is the major no-no for my a id reflux, still down a pot a day regardless and use Tums to turn down the burn.

  169. #169cuttin edge2023-03-23 11:19

    My mother had hiatal hernia surgery, not fun.

  170. #170simonsrplant2023-04-24 22:27

    I turned 40 this month. This is one of few things that's put a smirk of "ya, I get that" on my face.... For the last couple weeks I've thoughts turning 40 kinda sucked....

  171. #171Oxbow2023-04-24 23:44

    Well damn if this wasn't a depressing thread to read! At 65 I relate to many of the comments, but fortunately I can still do the work, just need to do it differently than I used to. Truck Shop, I hope you are enjoying your retirement, and hope you have plenty of time to comb the countryside and take photos of old dozens and trucks!

  172. #172skyking12023-04-25 00:48

    I got a ferry and instructor gig because of that. Long story long, I was at the airport and saw this guy feeling for the runway in a mid-60's 310 at about 75 feet up. It was seriously scary as those things come down like a toolbox with a broken handle when the stall breaks. He got it down and landed, barely. I went down to the pumps and casually engaged in conversation, and he was a 747 pilot for NW who just purchased the plane for his son to build hours in, at a flight school in Florida. He was leaving in a few days to take it across the country, and had not been in anything but a 747 in years. He took me up on my offer to accompany them, and we picked up his son in Phoenix and I gave him instruction on the way down and some hood time when we got there.