I've searched the manual but can't find the part number for a turning/barring tool for my old Deere 310 backhoe. In the past I've used a long screwdriver but that is too "caveman." I may be looking at another fuel injection pump and need to turn the motor over. Amazon list all sorts of tools. Which is the right one? Thanks.
I'm right there with ya.. The last time I looked, there were 3 different ones for JD engines.. & at the price they want for 1.. its hard to buy 3.!! So to answer the question.. IDK.. sorry
What's wrong with turning the crankshaft pulley? turn it a tiny bit at a time, it's usually easy enough to turn by hand if you grab the belt and fan right.
On that old puppy the tool should be JD281A ($129, combination turning tool/timing pin). Save your money. Delmer is correct. Engine should be easy enough to turn over by tensioning the belt with one hand and turning the fan with the other (watch those fingers). For a timing pin you can get the tool JDE 81-4 for about $3.50. Make sure the timing marks inside the injection pump window line up when the timing pin engages the flywheel hole to indicate TDC #1.
GOOD POINT MG.. the timing pin hole will come up TWICE.. vs the PUMP TIMING LINES {once}
Won't make that mistake again lol.
Thanks all. I have done this maybe four times in the past 30 years on this machine. PITA with the belt and using a screwdriver but they can work. I'm thinking perhaps it's time to get some real tools.
I have successfully used my Cummins C/B series barring tool on several John Deere 6466, 6068, 4045. Haven't tried it on my 4219, it is 100% more accurate and easier/safer than the other methods that's for sure.
Interesting thread; Here in "outback" Australia it can be a CASE of make do with what you have and using a basic workshop I built a barring tool for our EU made 580SK to return the injector pump after its full rebuild. Whilst not the same / similar for what it is worth; There is a discussion on HEF here . View attachment 186541