I've looked a t area JD's and the operator put the boom down and lifted track while turning the machine. He said that's the best way he learned to operate. Is this normal? Or was he hot doggin. Just curios
if he is turning any more than 45 degrees the way i think your saying yes its normal saves time and doesnt carve up the ground and less stressful on drive motors
That is one way,another is to swing in the opposite direction of your turn with the theory that there is less unsprung weight to move.By putting the bucket on the ground your swing motors can assist you during the turn as well.The tracks should be counter rotating during these maneuvers however.Ron G
TL is correct. I would say it would put less stress on drive system to turn the machine as well. Now this is what I do. OK I'm a mechanic but' my dad and brother are both operators. I set the bucket down 45 degrees towards the turn. You only need to lift the tracks a couple of inches to break the traction of the machine. Pick it up, counter rotate the body and counter rotate the tracks. You can doo the same with just one track moving for a smaller direction change. Saves time, machine, and the ground you are working on. This way will also not fill up the tracks with dirt.
I use both methods turning the machine, depends on the job site conditions.
It's called jump turning. I never had anybody show me, or ever heard of it growing up. I started doing it on my own when I was in customers yards. I always watched the old man just turn and twist wherever he went, always had to clean up behind, so I did it to not rip up the grass or gravel. That and when unloading on a road, nobody can complain about you starting washboards. I would say 95% of the guys that do it are doing it to be neater and cleaner with their work. And, if turning more than 45°, it's faster.
If youre only running one track during this maneuver you will have to stick in a little because the machine wants to travel forward some. If you counter rotate the tracks the machine will stay in the same spot. If your doing it on the run youll be running all the functions simultaeously. Like others said i stick the bucket out off from one of the corners on the tracks or in front depending on how much of a turn. thats where it will work the best. Some machines dont like you getting too greedy with the track motors and boom,bucket,stick swing functions at the same time and will stall a track or both. get to know your machine and what you are capable of