Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Turning up a JD 772 BH

Chrpllz ยท 2013-06-28 00:03

I am looking to do a little fuel pump work to a early to mid 90's 772 BH if its not huge pain in the ass. Was wondering if anybody could point me in a direction for some info or if anybody had any pointers? I haven't had any luck with your run of the mill Google searches. Im in no way familiar with JD pumps but im pretty slick with a cummins...... i noticed a solinoid on the right side of the motor that appeared to control the aneroid in some way. Boost limiter maybe? What happens if i tinker with that? Any other tricks i could do to gain a little HP that won't require a pyro or excessive tire spin? Also be advised that this is a public owned machine as i work for the county road department so most ch anges need to be fairly "covert"!

Replies2
  1. #1ponch4582013-07-10 01:58

    Look at the injector pump If it is like most of the bigger JD engines from that era I have had anything to do with it will have a Bosch or similar piston pump. There should be slotted screw with a jam nut on the back end of the pump. I think if you turn it clockwise 1 full turn you will gain about 35-40 hp assuming nothing is wrong with the rest of the fuel system or turbo. The fuel burn should go up quite a bit and it will probably blow a little black smoke. Oh and of course your warranty will be void. Ha. Personally I probably wouldn't turn it up unless it is a real dog. The additional fuel burn may not be worth the gain in HP. The ones we used to turn up were in the 80's and fuel was less than a buck so it really didn't matter too much. Good luck! I like your grader. Wish I had a 772BH. Tried to find one but ended up with a Fiat Allis FG85 AWD. Cummins engine is great. The machine is like new with only 3800 hrs and is probably as good as any machine out there. However, I am partial to JD.

  2. #2terrasmooth2013-08-03 20:45

    I don't know why you would want to 'turn it up'... those year 772 blades had plenty of power. The issue I had was only having half as many reverse as forward gears and a rocker switch for the rippers. Overall they were a good machine in my opinion.