Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Twin powered Fordson 6yd scraper

FWordCollector ยท 2020-02-02 23:30

I am looking for any information regarding the twin fordson engine 6 yard scraper. Built by Hewco NZ. (Huntly Engineering Co.) My Dad has one in his collection and we would like to confirm if it is actually the only one which was imported to Australia from New Zealand, to be used as the prototype for the to be manufactured in Melbourne. This one has not been used. The engines and transmission were still boxed and it was kept in storage for 53 years. We have come across a few conflicting bits of info regarding the number of these built. Some say 9, some say 11, and another says 20 built. Any information will be greatly appreciated. Search Facebook: Ron Dehne's Ford Tractor Collection Australia

Replies9
  1. #1Tones2020-02-03 03:22

    Ron try The NZ Transport and Contracting Archive on FB. There's a wealth of information. You may also be interested in the Lee industries concrete agitator. They where mounted on a Ford 5000 which was converted to forward control , had it's own loader and from memory a 1 cubic yard bowel. Trackgrip made a heap of backhoes all on Ford tractors 1 type was rear mounted but the boom swung threw 270 deg and was carried over the front

  2. #2FWordCollector2020-02-03 17:18

    Thank you Tones. That was very helpful, i found a lot of posts regarding the twin-six on the archive page, and have sent off a few messages. Very much appreciate your help.

  3. #3Tones2020-02-03 19:26

    You missed out on a Ford 276 I owned that was in mint condition. It went down to Tamworth and still earning a quid

  4. #4FWordCollector2020-02-03 20:19
  5. #5FWordCollector2020-02-03 20:21

    He may have one of those somewhere in here. I will have to ask

  6. #6rocknrabbit2020-02-15 22:15

    I was keen on purchasing one of these scrapers, now a towed model, parked on a Northern Grampians shire (Victoria) farm 2 years ago, that is until the owner informed me that his 250 hp+ Waltanna was about the right size for it! The fordsons had long exited the machine. I had some photos, but I think they were on a sd card I unfortunately have lost. So no, yours isn't the only one in the country.

  7. #7Tones2020-02-15 22:31

    HeavyEquipmentForums Surprising whats in the archives here.

  8. #8RayC2020-02-21 21:50

    Hi FwordCollector....I set up the NZ Road Transport & Contracting-Archives page on Facebook and yes we have quite a bit of history about HEWCO Twin Six...I can put you in contact with a few names who maybe able to help with you search....check out the FB page and contact me if you would like via FB Messenger...regards Ray Cannon

  9. #9rayman2020-08-05 21:28

    Fword collector, we had quite a thread going on these machines, there was one in Gympie built by "Steelweld" in Melbourne, I believe it is now in the hands of a local collector. regards rayman