Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Two different size cylinders on Case model 35 hoe… what should I do?

Glen Weldon ยท 2023-11-10 17:59

Howdy. The saga with my worn-out hoe continues. I'm still trying to figure out why my hoe functions don't work. I have all the O-rings to rebuild the valve bank and hopefully tomorrow (Saturday 11/11) that's what I'll be able to do. I've been noticing that my boom cylinders are all oily. Since I haven't been able to get them to move yet, the leak has to be passive. As I'm inspecting the wipers of each cylinder I find that they are crumbling and almost gone. My hydraulic oil is milky, obviously indicating water in the system. I'm assuming the non-existent wipers are the major source of the water since the rod end of the cylinder is almost always facing up when being stored, and I store it outside. I figure that I'll rebuild those cylinder in the next few weeks, or at least next few months. As I take a closer look at the cylinders, it appears that the right-hand cylinder is larger than the left-hand. I pull out the tape measure and sure enough, the RH boom cylinder is 4" diameter and the LH is only 3 1/2" diameter. To borrow a phrase from Derek Beieri of YouTube's "Vice Grip Garage"... Well I'll be dipped! Looking for opinions as to what I should do about it. First, I'm not going to be making money with this machine. I suppose if it runs more than it breaks down, I'll put 100-200 hours a year on it. I bought a John Deere 5065e brand new in 2018 and it now only has 214 hours on it and I use it all the time. So I guess what I'm wondering if running it will asymmetrical force on each side of the boom will cause damage over time? Should I be looking for the correct cylinder or maybe find someone who wants to trade a 4" cylinder for a 3.5"? It seems to me that there wouldn't be much demand for just one 4" cylinder but I could be wrong... As it stands right now, relatively speaking I've put very little money into this machine that I bought for $3200 over 5 years ago. I may have spent $1500 up to the current point. The loader is trashed. Somebody tried to repair it at some point in it's life when it appears the loader arm cross-piece was torn off. The repair looks like horse dung and the frame ended up crooked with all sorts of slop. My tractor has a front end loader but the 580B has twice the lifting force. I could get by using the backhoe to dig out the hillside I'm moving and use the FEL on the tractor to move the dirt, but as I said, the tractor is basically really new and I've give it some wear and tear moving a couple of thousand yards of dirt. What say the experts and old timers? PS, I just calculated that the 4" cylinder has 2945 lbs. more pushing force at 1000 PSI than the 3.5". I think that sounds like it could be problematic...

Replies0

No replies yet.