Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

under carriage questions

Dozier Digging ยท 2015-03-19 09:07

I need to replace the undercarriage on my Dozier the chains and sprockets are wore out completely. Will it wear out the new chains if I don't rpeace the front idlerso and rollers

Replies8
  1. #1dirthog2015-03-19 10:24

    Very well could affect the life depending on how bad they are.

  2. #2rmllarue912015-03-19 13:25

    All new components will give you best undercarriage wear. track guides will positively effect life also.

  3. #3Former Wrench2015-03-19 16:37

    Think about opportunity costs. What is the cost of fixing everything at once as opposed maybe losing a job due to non-performance because you had to pull your machine off a project to finish rebuilding the undercarriage? I like paying a little more now as opposed to a lot later.

  4. #4repowerguy2015-03-19 18:40

    It really depends on the condition of the idlers and rollers. where I worked at before we did reuse rollers and idlers quite often,although I realize it is'nt best practice. Your undercarriage supplier should be able to give you specs. and help you determine if they'll be good for another go around. Sometimes poor people have poor ways!

  5. #5Dozier Digging2015-03-20 09:13

    I have seen many machines on the market that says 100% bottom with only chains and sprockets . I want to replace it all but money is tight

  6. #6Dozier Digging2015-03-20 09:16

    What brand of after market parts will last and not over priced I got a price of $8400 from one after market parts supplier the machine is a kamatsu d37p5

  7. #7repowerguy2015-03-20 10:29

    100% bottom means all new, so that is a little off base.Not sure about Komatsu but Cat and Deere service books give you service specs. in the undercarriage section of the manual.My previous employer ran alot of TD9s and TD7s and bought track parts from Crane and Tractor in Columbus. Never could figure out the brand of the stuff but it was used HARD ,those operators knew no mercy but it held up well enough. I never got involved in pricing so not sure about that aspect. When track ran out of adjustment we usually took out a link to get another 200 hours out of them or so. The old saying ,use it up wear it out make do or do without!

  8. #8Dickjr.2015-03-20 14:22

    If it has the original u/c on it , the new rails and sprockets should be fine. It would be best to change it all , but do the rails and sprockets and try to do the rest as soon as you can. This theory doesn't really apply to large tractors as well. I put a set of ITR rails and sprockets on , they have about 500 hrs on them and show no sign of a wear pattern yet and that's on the original rollers and idlers.Keep in mind that there are different grades of u/c offered from each company. The rails I got are the best grade itr offers. These parts came from Mashburn Equipment in Georgia. Your local CAT dealer may be able to sell you these parts as well. I have heard that lately these guys are getting competitive in the u/c market. It would still be an aftermarket rail. Its been discussed a lot on here , But I don't think there are that many u/c manufacturers out there. I have been told to stay away from DCF ( Chinese) but who knows.