Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Under speed in reverse

Top Hand · 2023-06-22 08:43

I am new to this site and a new owner a 963b Cat track loader. When I bought my machine they had done a 250 hour service on it. So all the filters to my knowledge have been changed. The machine has almost 10k hours on it. My concern is that my machine seems like after it warms up and I use it for about 30 min the reverse speed is slower than when I first start. Again I am new at operating this machine so I am asking to see if it is common or if something may be wrong.

Replies17
  1. #1Mark2502023-06-23 17:02

    Do you have an operation and Maintenace manual? if not nige can direct you how to obtain one A 250 hour service for cat machines generally does not include all the filters and oils

  2. #2Top Hand2023-06-23 17:17

    No I do not have a manual for the machine. So do you think it could possibly be a filter issue?

  3. #3Nige2023-06-23 17:32

    Post a Serial Number and I can find the Publication Number of the appropriate O&MM and maybe even track one down for you. If you are doing your own maintenance then you really need one. It won’t break the bank either, they only cost about $50.

  4. #4Nige2023-06-23 17:33

    Did you fit OEM Cat filters or aftermarket “will fit” ones.? The drive system on these machines are very sensitive to incorrect oils & filters. BTW what oil is in the power train.?

  5. #5Top Hand2023-06-23 17:34

    Serial # 9BL01037

  6. #6Top Hand2023-06-23 17:37

    It currently has NAPA filters on it

  7. #7Nige2023-06-23 17:52

    Here’s one (genuine OEM) and it’s on offer at less than the usual price - https://www.ebay.com/itm/314509894760 Not good. I wouldn’t put that brand of filter on someone else’s machine let alone mine….. Go OEM or Donaldson would be my recommendation. Also need to know what type & viscosity of oil is in the transmission (hydrostatic) system and in the pump drive gearbox.? Those are the two really critical compartments on the machine when it comes to oil.

  8. #8CM19952023-06-23 19:54

    Welcome the Forums TH! You are in very good hands here with the advice given by Nige. Suggest you follow what he has to share to a T. All I can add is a 250 hour service is normally just oil, fuel and air as far as filters and engine oil for fluids. If you recently bought the machine and the seller said they did a 250 hour service and replaced all the filters and fluids I would be highly suspect. X2 on getting rid of the Napa filters and going Cat OEM. We only use Cat filters and "knocks on wood" have yet to have a major component failure in 20 years other than a final drive on a 279D that was 100% covered under warranty. Just my $.035 adjusted for massive inflation, YMMV.

  9. #9Nige2023-06-24 04:12

    Thanks for the vote of confidence CM but I’m not one of the hydrostatic track loader experts. Just trying to cover the basics to get a good platform for them to start asking questions.

  10. #10Top Hand2023-06-24 17:17

    This is all great advice and yes I will follow it. Don't laugh at me but I need to ask some day 1 questions. 1. What is OEM? 2. How do I find out the viscosity of oil? Also I will change all this filters out to Cat ASAP

  11. #11Nige2023-06-24 17:55

    1. OEM - Original Equipment Manufacturer. Cat in this case. 2. Get an O&M Manual. See my link in post #8 above. 3. I would suggest that you don’t go changing any filter until you change the oil in that particular system. Regarding oils if you stick with products from any of the major oil companies such as Shell, Mobil, ConocoPhillips, Texaco, etc, you will be fine.

  12. #12Top Hand2023-06-24 18:00

    Yes, thanks again. I am getting the O&M from the link you sent me. Mobil delivers to my place of work so that wont be a problem.

  13. #13CM19952023-06-24 18:36

    We've used a Cat spec Mobil engine and hydro oil for years. Good stuff. X2 on what Nige said - Change the filters and the oil. I'd change the engine oil and filters then take a sample of the other fluids - finals, hydrostat, hydraulic and coolant. Send those into the dealer for analysis. IIRC our charges around $27 or so per sample and that includes the bottle. Personally I would not put many hours on it until you know the condition of the fluids. As far as the slowing in reverse that's something in CMark's territory.

  14. #14Top Hand2023-06-25 08:34

    I have a Cat mechanic coming this week to change out all the oils and filters. I will ask him to take oil samples also. That may be something he may do anyway. Is there anything I should have him look at while he is here. Also he said something about testing the Hydraulic pressures.

  15. #15Nige2023-06-25 09:06

    That’s above my pay grade. Hopefully CMark sees this and offers some suggestions.

  16. #16Top Hand2023-07-07 09:49

    I have changed to oils and filters on the machine. We did not notice any change in the speed but I have done some more research on some past threads on this site to discover some things to try. 1. Make sure the throttle is pulled all the way back. When the throttle was behind the Notch it still has about 1/4 inch to go until it is full throttle. This has helped tremendously. So I think that is the issue. On to another question that I read about in a thread. When I'm moving forwards in the machine and I start to reduce the throttle the machine will speed up at a certain point. What does this mean? Is it something to be concerned about?

  17. #17Nige2023-07-07 09:51

    That's a question for @Cmark