Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Underrcarriage

mackman ยท 2009-02-09 20:09

I am getting ready to restore one of my eimco dozers. I have to replace one sprocket. It has pressed on sprockets. What kind of an ordeal is it to press the sprocket? Or would it just be easier to changer the whole final? :beatsme Or dose anyone know a way to repair it on the dozer? The sprocket is wore way down. I saw an ad for sprocket liners do they work?

Replies8
  1. #1td25c2009-02-14 21:01

    do you halve a good sprocket in hand? if not i think the weld on liners are te way to go.You also need good rails,pins&bushings. hope this helps .

  2. #2surfer-joe2009-02-14 21:23

    If the dozer is not used in heavy production, sprocket liners could be a useful way to go. We used them by the ton in Florida years ago as the corral sand there ate sprockets for breakfast. Our shop had one guy that did nothing but weld liners on all day long five days a week. 25c is correct however, that the rest of your U/C should be in good condition. First make sure that you have enough of a sprocket pocket left to weld a liner in to. Then use some 7018 rod and weld in solid. You could use some 11018, but is a little over kill and is a little more expensive. Do not use hardface. Make sure that you allign the new parts well. Also, if you do this on the tractor, don't be in a big rush to get the job done. You don't want to overheat the seals in the final much. Just a point of interest. Some late model Eimco's used Caterpillar U/C parts. You could maybe buy a couple of new sprockets from Cat, even have Cat install them. Save you from having to bum the tooling and a lot of work. If you are not sure what sprockets you have, talk with a Cat parts & service rep and ask if he could come and take a look. He might be delighted to see an old tractor that was still in running condition. Another thought, if your worn sprockets are Cat, your local dealer might be able to find a couple of decent used ones from a scrapped out tractor. They should be way cheaper than new. Just an idea.

  3. #3td25c2009-02-14 22:18

    I agree with surfer-joe ,and I thank you for jogging my memory.The eimco dozers I am familiar with had a d7e carrige.

  4. #4mlseel724092009-04-14 20:34

    To 25c my newest eimco dozer is 103c made in 1969 it has the same undercarriage as an m64 and 103m dozer and you can take the traks off the eimco and put it on "some" d7's but you can't put the tracks off a d7 and put it on the eimco. sorry. Has do something with the spacing on the sprocket of the eimco?

  5. #5mackman2009-04-14 21:20

    undercarriage I think the sprocket may be to far gone for liners. I have acouple of good sprockets but they are a press on deal and I am not sure what kind of a nightmare that is to do. As for the rails they are easy they match a D6c I already checked all the measurements with an undercarriag dealer. I have a sprocket on a good final in another rearend I don't know if it would be just as easy to change final and all? Not that any of it will be easy!

  6. #6mlseel724092009-04-15 11:59

    yeah, as far as that sprocket goes, you need one heck of a puller and lots of sweat. I wouldn't use a any heat on it unless you're super careful because of the seals. It's a pretty straight forward deal, just lots of work. good luck.

  7. #7mlseel724092009-07-16 11:04

    hey mackman, we just got done changing out a final on our 103c, wich has the same undercarriage as you're dozer does. We couldn't get the sprocket off; 40 some years will generally weld something on to itself, so the whole drive unit was changed out. As far as pulling the sprocket, you need to buy 6 bolts that are 12 inches long. take off the center plate and put the 6 bolts thru it (this becomes the base of you're puller) now put a 50 ton bottle jack in the middle of that and bolt everything back on to the hub. Now jack it and it should come off. Thats what the book sais to do. hope it works for you.

  8. #8T_Gunn2009-07-17 11:24

    Can someone tell me where you buy these sprocket liners? I can't find any information on them and may be able to fix the sprocket on my Linkbelt LS2700 excavator?