This story explains the forklift's stability triangle with a nice illustration and a few words. It also goes into what to avoid when rigging loads from the forks, how to safely stack loads, and what to do in case of roll-over. A Primer on Keeping Forklifts Upright Links at the bottom access information on how a telehandler's stability triangle differs from that of a vertical-mast forklift, how to lift people safely in a telehandler man basket, and how to keep OSHA off your required telehandler-operator training program. Might be some useful resources for anyone responsible/motivated by safe operation. Best, Larry
Another perspective: 'The Color Of Danger' National Safety Council's 60's short film is still a good one. Had to watch it every time my forklift operators permit (Michigan) needed renewing along with a T/F written test. Usually took 2 hours.
Thanks I'll pop one part in the other thread I had on platforms.
I have a policy. Boom always travels as low as possible. When lifting with a jib, I raise the jib as high as I can and keep my boom as low as I can. This keeps the main weight which is the boom at as low of an elevation as possible. Proper rigging is important. Chains with a master link at the top are the only option. Under the tag manitou pics in action the lift could have never been done without a jib, proper rigging, a great operator. If the load is not completely level when it comes to a rest it will effectively side load the machine pulling it to one site. The forklift is not like a crane at all.
From my many years working as an engineer for forklift manufacturers I learned one important thing.... DON'T JUMP - BRACE YOURSELF AND STAY IN THE SEAT AS THE MACHINE TIPS OVER!!!!!! Most of the deaths and major injuries occur when the operator tries to jump out and gets crushed by the ROPS. This is one of the main reasons to make operators wear their seat belts - they don't have time to unbuckle and jump! I know that at least one customer mandated orange seat belts so they could tell when the operators weren't wearing one. ISZ
Guy on Long Island hit a steel pole going fast and the 844C climbed the pole and flipped. It was bent about 60* or less hard for me to imagine how it climbed an 8" steel pole. He fell out and was crushed. 25 guys ran over to try and lift it but it was futile. He was also said to have smoked pot in the mornings just a bad combination.