Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Underwater excavator

Aussie John ยท 2010-05-21 17:47

Here is a new Hitachi ZX870LCH-3 excavator called "The Starfish" which has been modified for working in water up to 5 metres deep in the Middle East. Apparantly, a larhger EX1200 is also being developed. More information can be found in Hitachi publications & websites. Imagine trying to replace a travel motor hose or blown o-ring in 5m of water! John

Replies16
  1. #13D_CG_MODELER2010-05-21 18:16

    wow cool

  2. #2grandpa2010-05-21 18:45

    OCR needs one of them there starfishes to clean his outhouse basement....bah ha ha...Nice pictures...thanks

  3. #3cummins052010-05-21 19:14

    I would like to take that monster for a spin

  4. #4OCR2010-05-21 20:04

    Underwater excavator: Bah ha ha... your self... :tong Don't need no clean'in cause I built it over the creek... Ha! OCR But I would like to have one, the EX1200 of course... :cool2

  5. #5245dlc2010-05-21 20:23

    Wow, weird. So what are they using it for? Obviously something for dredging, are they going to make an underwater haul truck for it too? lol

  6. #6xcmark2010-05-21 21:42

    I bet there big money new and worth **** used, lets not forget its in salt water!

  7. #7Digga Dave2010-05-26 02:06

    Those pictures are of "Starfish 1" created by Belgian dreging contractor DJN a couple of years ago. There are now 2 more variants - one is land based (undergoing trials) and the other is "truely remote controlled" for deep water work. The full story/article is in the May edition of a magazine called EARTHMOVERS out of the UK. Well worth subscribing to, not full with huge machinery but very interesting articles none the less.

  8. #8raolela2010-05-26 07:12

    WOW, very fanstantic, it is very cool, I only see the machine which also can be used in water, the design is different from the design of your machine.

  9. #9xamon2010-05-26 18:00

    Hi again everyone, is a machine well suited for this type of work, if you want more information on the Hitachi Starfish, in our forum the have. click here A greeting.

  10. #10245dlc2010-05-26 18:38

    If I could I'd read the article but it's only in Spanish.

  11. #1195zIV2010-05-26 22:24

    Another thread with this machine:

  12. #12xamon2010-05-27 14:55

    So no problem, so we have to uncle google, hehehe Click here A greeting.

  13. #13Bignash2010-05-30 03:07

    That would be awesome to operate, take a bit to get used to being a totally different angle of perception. You'd have to have really good depth perception!

  14. #14schuiver2010-05-30 03:46

    And they also have another type, here is a link. http://www.bouwmachineforum.nl/forum/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=17932

  15. #15schuiver2010-05-30 03:58

    And there is another one here is a link, click on the picture for a larger image and then agian. http://www.luyckx-web.be/NL/_nieuwsbericht.html?id=164#

  16. #16Drifter2010-06-11 18:01

    Any body know what kind of oil and grease they are using?