Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Union Question

2004F550 ยท 2009-03-15 13:25

I don't have any first hand experience except what I have seen on our jobs but I always wondered what the deal was with dividing lines so to speak? Around here it seems like operating engineers only touch the machine and never labor at all. In posts here it seems like union operators in other places do shovel sometimes etc. Is there a varience depending on the company on what each group can do or has to do? For example the paving company we use the roller operators are only about 25 years old and most of the laborers are about 45 and the operators will watch the laborers shovels for an hour and never flinch just sitting there. Just trying to understand the the union deal.

Replies36
  1. #1kamerad472009-03-15 15:44

    A union operator does'nt shovel because he takes away a job of a union laborer.

  2. #2Turbo218352009-03-15 18:34

    It varies from company to company. Bigger companies are less likely to have operators using a shovel just due to their size, smaller companies, everyone does everything. Im willing to bet, your roller operators were apprentices, and they know no better. I find that laborers are usually alright with you giving them a hand. But, office personal, and foremen are usually not, lets be honest, a operator makes a good bit more an hour than a laborer does. The last time I got out to help a laborer was a giant pissing match. We were working at night, with a time deadline. We had to have everything cleaned up for the next morning. We were down to our last 20 feet of pipe. In that 20 feet we had a T a valve, and a hydrant to assemble. So we cut everything and once it was all fit together, i had nothing to do. So rather than sit on my rear, I joined my pipelayer in twisting bolts on the megalugs. His topman was busy finish up a few other tasks. I figured its wet, and cold, and we all want to go home. So I helped him out, he was alright with it. The company owner was not. A few days later I was sent packing, no real reason given other than "lack of work." Come to find out later he was a big believer in everyone has their job, thats what they do. Makes no sense to me, as we got out a half hour early, so he pocketed the extra wages he would have payed out if I would have sat there and watched the pipelayer assemble everything.

  3. #3DarrylMueller2009-03-15 23:17

    Sorry the pin head did not like you helping out, he might have gotten fined in the past. No the operator doesn't use a shovel. But operators tend to use a shovel or broom if they want to just help out. If I tell the labor there is a pipe and he can't find it I just might bail out of the rig and find it my self. Every situation is different. But your an operator and not a lazy one, and that is something that is real good in this day and age.

  4. #4Bully2009-03-22 10:01

    Like most said, it depends on the company size and the scope of the work. Mom and Pop shops with a few employees you may see the operator using a shovel to help dig around a pipline or electical service just to expidite the job, but if there is alot of shovel work, the laborers will do it. Likewise you may see a brickie outfit using a telehandler with a brickie running it. From my point of view, it burns me up. From the owners point of view, he's saving some money, allbeit only a few dollars as opposed to a fine or a picket, which would cost him more in the long run. Most tradesmen know when they are crossing the line, in my experience, but are willing to help another trade out if they are asked.

  5. #5Wolf2009-03-22 10:11

    Makes sense to me. But surprised to hear the equipment operators are all of 25. WOW, lucky guys to be up there so young.

  6. #6DarrylMueller2009-03-22 11:43

    Not so fast I was 25, 39 years ago. Local #3 Member

  7. #7Turbo218352009-03-22 11:46

    Thats pretty good, last I heard, 324s average age is 48 years old. This year we took 80 apprentices. Tough with the current economy, but its a double edge sword. If we dont take them, then we dont have enough journeymen in a few years. Then again, it doesnt look like we will have enough any way. To many of todays generation does not want to work. They want to be the top dog in an office. A sense of entitlement that has been handed to them by todays school system. As for other trades running equipment. If they only need the machine for a few things a day, its not fair to a company to have a full time operator. All hes going to do is sit for hours on end and get paid for nothing. Great way to kill a business. Would you hire someone to work for 1 hour and get paid for 8? Now if that machine is moving all day, it should be an operator. We have had problems in this area with a union pipe fitting outfit. We have a contract with them. Yet they figured they would save themselves a few dollars by using pipe fitters to run the equipment. Now will we get them based on the time studies, since they broke a contract. The real way we need to combat this is getting with our brothers in other trades. They need to out and out refuse to run a machine. If its for short times, maybe we need to set something up where a guy can have a split ticket. Make him an operating engineer for say just forktrucks. He has dues taken out by IUOE for the hours spent on a machine. In return for the dues, he gets proper training on a piece of equipment, so safe operation is maintained. Another point we need to make is liability issues, not only for a person running a machine, but the company that has a person operating that machine.

  8. #8John C.2009-03-22 14:43

    The problem usually hasn't been over an operator doing labor around here. I have seen and there have been so many turf wars over who gets to run the machine in this state that I know of few outfits that complain over an operator helping getting a job done on the ground. Years ago we had some nuclear plants being built with three unions involved. Carpenters, Operating Engineers and Automotive Machinists. I was in the last and we were working on haul trucks. In those days the dealer wrenches trucks were little more than a pickup and couldn't carry the weight of a compressor and welder. We had torches and some hand tools. At any rate we needed to make a four inch weld on something and a welder was across the street. We inquired about using that machine and was asked which union we belonged to. We were informed that the machine was controlled by the carpenters and we would have to hire one to weld the piece for us. We had no way to bill that out and had to drive fourteen miles round trip to get a welder from our customer's shop. Another issue came when the carpenters tried to extend their authority over the heavy lift cranes. Normally that would have been only operating engineers and they refused to cede their authority so a court battle ensued. Both unions shut down construction for about a year and a half on all the plants, running up the bill to untold millions. It finally got resolved but then the meltdown at Three Mile Island hit and the costs of redesign doomed all the reactor construction projects in this country. That job ended up going broke and became the largest municipal bond failure in history to that point. I put the in fighting between the unions as the primary reason for that and resolved to never let mulitple unions into any business I was a part of.

  9. #9Wolf2009-03-22 14:45

    You make a really good point regarding the unions. It is a union, after all, so you should work with your brothers in other trades. That is the ticket. Good thinking, Turbo 21835!

  10. #10Sled Puller2009-03-22 20:53

    I dont mind helping out a good crew, (with their permission)or an old laborer, but be careful, cause next thing you know, they expect you to do it all, and all it does will make you old and tired, climbing in and out of the machine all day. If the crew is a bunch of slackers, screw em.:Banghead If the company is run by jagoffs, screw em.:usa Quite honestly, most of the time I'm digging with a pipe crew, there isn't time enough to get out and help, you have enough to do with the hoe.

  11. #11surfer-joe2009-03-22 22:15

    Turbo, back in 1970, you couldn't buy a membership in 324. You had to be born into the union. My brother got in, but his was a special deal he and the local worked out. I remember the union jobs around Saginaw then, you should have seen those old operators running the hard hitch 631A's and S24's. Their guts were hanging over their knees and many were wearing supports. Needless to say, the I-75 bypass wasn't built in a day with those guys. In New Jersey, working on a emergency reservoir for PPL, 825 held sway and they ruled the roost. Just to move a light plant took 4 people in a medium flatbed truck. One Teamster to drive the truck. One Operating Engineer to start and stop the light plant generator. One Electrician to flip the light switch on and off, and one Laborer to hook and unhook the light plant hitch to the truck. All the water pumps on the jobsite had their own Operating Engineer. The rock drills had an Operating Engineer and one Laborer. The Teamsters ran the parts trailer. I was supervision and as such, I could not pick up a shovel or a wrench lest I be time carded. I also could not tell any one Mechanic or Operator what to do. I had to tell the Operator Steward, or one of the three Master Mechanics what to do. They then told the others. The union in Canada was the same way. You did not touch anyone else's work and there were strict rules laid out in the handbook about that. The Teamsters, Operating Engineers, and the 19 or so other unions at the US Steel works in Gary, Indiana were even worse. I joined Local 9 in Colorado at age 33. I'd already been in the Teamster's and Carpenter's & Joiners. I signed up in Local 3 in California at age 49. I transferred that card to 428 in Arizona at age 59. I'm on a withdrawal now however. I worked a job a year ago close to home that was a non-union project paying Davis-Bacon wages. Good money. The contractor is a double breasted outfit out of California. Every equipment operator on that job had a union card in their pocket from 428, 3, or 12. We could help out some with the laborers and the mechanics if we wanted or were able to, but we didn't have to. Depended on what crew you were on. Usually what happened if your rig went down was that you drove around with the foreman if it was late in the shift so you could get your 8 hours, or you went home. I didn't mind that in the least as I was just well enough to operate, but not in good enough shape to do anything else. There is good and bad with these relationships everywhere, depending on how you are personally affected. I've been on every side of the fence there is. Most operators are in the same boat because you have to eat and keep the roof on over the family. You work non-union if you have to, but most would rather work union for the better pay and better benefits. But some folks do get a little carried away about it as I've outlined above. Every situation is different.

  12. #12Turbo218352009-03-23 09:40

    Boy have times changed, yet certain things stay the same. Your right, its still darn near impossible to get in. I was lucky enough to find an outfit that hired me on as a journeyman. When I was signing up with the BA is was informed I was not well liked due to the way I was brought in. I had no family to bring me, tried to get in through the apprenticeship, couldnt get in, so I slid in the back door. Now when Im on the out of work list, the Dispatcher doesnt find much interest in helping me find work. Guess Im lucky in the fact that 324 is not a hiring hall. I can go find my own work. Saginaw is no longer a union stronghold. It hasnt been for some time. When you have a regional hall in Freeland, and run 5-10 BAs thru it in 10 years, things tend to change. In that time, none of those BAs were able to negotiate new contracts with any companies. New Ba would work and work to convince guys at companies to stick up for themselves and each other, when they finally stood up, that BA was on his way out the door and left those guys with their necks out on the cutting board. Right now the Saginaw area is under a market recovery, and the areas wage is about $10 an hour less than Detroit. Former Giants of the area or mere shells of what they used to be Bourdow Trucking may have 10 employees these days. Champagne and Marx has around 25. Beirlien is double breasted, with any work being done in Dow, Corning, or Hemlock Semi Conductor being non union. In fact, pretty much anything but big three work is non union for them.

  13. #13ohioduramax2009-03-24 22:10

    I was a first uear apprentice in the operators last year and was doing laborer work half of the time.

  14. #14Sled Puller2009-03-24 22:17

    "Operator Apprentice" translates to slave for the other trades. Ironworkers, millrights carpenters, laborers, they will all stand around and smoke, and watch an Apprentice kill himself. And then they don't miss a chance to tell the apprentice coordinator that you aren't worth a damn. LOl ointhead

  15. #15biggixxerjim2009-03-24 22:38

    This is why I really cant stand the union. All this this beauricratic nonsence is exactly why the unions suck the life out of the tax system. Being black balled because you wanted to help out is the most a**-backwards sence ive heard in a long time. ********************

  16. #16Bully2009-03-24 23:32

    Please explain the tax system to all of us who may not know better. Helping out and getting black balled because of it, example please. Down with the unions,huh? Remember that next weekend or next time you hurt yourself on a job or need to take a leave of absence or your boss gives you some earplugs,saftey glasses or hard hat. Or you manage to snag some OT pay or your kid gets glasses, or you wife has a baby. Or you get to drink at the same fountain or your 10 year old doesn't die working in a coal mine, or your daughter doesn't have to do the bossman "favors" to keep her job, or you aren't gunned down in the street by some para-millitary clowns or your local police because you were using your 1st Ammendment rights. Be thankful you don't have to by all your stuff at the "company store". And live in "company housing" and live every waking moment in fear of losing your job because you choose to live your life as a free man with your own will and your dignity and brotherly love instead of fear and shame and having look over your shoulder to make sure the next guy isn't gonna take your job for less pay and longer hours and lower standards... I could go on all day...down with that?:beatsme We protect the very rights most people take for granted nowadays. No thanks needed, its not our job, it's our duty.:usa

  17. #17Steve Frazier2009-03-24 23:38

    I will tell you right now if this turns into another pro/con union thread it will be closed. I've had enough of this crap from both sides. Any further posts in that direction will earn the author a vacation.

  18. #18Ross2009-03-25 00:42

    Probably has more to do with SELF-RESPECT than anything else. Different type of Atomos here. I joke on about how I will file a Union dispute against a labourer for pulling wrenches but it's all in jest. Sometime's I pull a Shovel from a Guy and get at her myself .. For instance .. Cleaning a swing hole in a shovel after a swing box has been pulled. I could stand back, Smoke and watch but it's my behind on the block if something fail's. Yeah I could get into bother for allowing a labourer to pull wrenches or me digging out Black-Jack from a Black Hole. Who's gonna Complain If I offer to climb in the Black hole for them?

  19. #19digger242j2009-03-25 06:06

    What Bully says is an example of things that could and did happen a hundred years ago, and that gave rise to the unions. A lot of good came out of that. What Surfer Joe says is an example of the way things were 25 years ago, and may even be today, in some localities. A lot of bad comes out of that sort of behavior. Now there's a good example of how bad it can get. The pendulum swings both ways. Too much power to the owners, and the working man gets crushed. Too much power to labor, and the owners lose everything. The working man needs to make a living. The companies need to make a profit. One hand needs to wash the other. Neither can do it without the other. The human race crawled out of our caves, and went to the Moon, by learning to cooperate . Cooperation is the key to our collective success. What we need to be doing today, in discussions such as this one, is to figure out how we can make the system work to everyone's benefit. You need to keep in mind though, that today's world isn't the same world it was a hundred years ago, or even 25 years ago, so to rely on what was the standard then , is not appropriate for the circumstances we face now .

  20. #20Sled Puller2009-03-25 07:30

    ....I agree...unless we are talking about U.S Constitution... but thats another forum!!LOL Things always go to the extremes in this country, we started out as indentured servants, slaves,or victims of terrible safety standards, to the other end of the extreme with the Union power working over the companies so they can't make a dime...now its somehow in between. Will it go back to the bottom? I would say yes it will. Just wait for amnesty to hit.

  21. #21CM19952009-03-25 08:35

    Sled Puller, now you are skirting the edge of politics, do you want to go that route and get this thread locked? Digger put out several good topics to discuss on this issue and I can guarantee you if politics are brought in, this thread will be shut down.

  22. #22Sled Puller2009-03-25 09:00

    Well, whether any of us like it or not, personnnel, Unions, construction money, ie fuel tax, and politics go hand in hand. I'd say 90% of my paychecks have been from federally funded jobs the last 16 years. If Steve doesn't want his forum to discuss these issues, he should remove the the personnel forum all together. If we are going to have a true construction forum here, we need to be able to discuss these issues, in an informative manner, without flaming each other. From what Ive read on here in the past, seems to be quite bit of Union bashing, but not the other way around.

  23. #23Bully2009-03-25 10:35

    Sorry about my post, just pointing out some historical struggles the average worker has overcome since labor movement has began and the basic rights the American worker has recieved through the years and up until the present day(today even). Didn't go out and try to whip up anyone with a broad blanket statement with no explaination of my view or resort to name calling, which would be the easy route, but none the less, childish. I'll keep it civil, and will respect anyones position as long as they can respect mine. 2004F550: Use your best judgement when you get out in the field. If you work for a big outfit, they should be able to make sure everyone has a place and enough tools to go around. Everyone knows what their trade is expected to do. If you work for Mom and Pop Excavating, things are a little more loose, from breaktimes and length to job titles and employer/employee relations. Sometimes those are the best jobs, and you may get a little bit of say in how the job runs out as compared to working for a mega-company who hires you from the hall and could care less about who you are or if you even roll out of bed the next day, you are a number to them, you can be replaced. Likewise it can go the other way too, but not often. Take it all with a grain of salt.

  24. #24digger242j2009-03-25 20:30

    I don't know whether you've read the revised Forum Rules or not, but the one that applies here is this: No discussion of politics not directly related to the heavy equipment industry will be permitted. References to individuals, political beliefs, or parties, made using derogatory terms will not be permitted within these posts. Example: "Flaming lefty", "right wing zealot" or other similar type label. I think that gives us plenty of latitude to discuss the sorts of issues you mention in your opening sentence. I presume the "amnesty" you referred to earlier has to do with immigration policy. If we should come to that bridge, and it seems to be having an impact on the industry, we'll cross it then. For the moment, I agree with CM that it's outside of the latitude to discuss politics that the board now permits.

  25. #25qball2009-03-25 21:53

    well, i have brought up this forum in a class i taught at our training site. they seemed receptive to joining. i have a union meeting tomorrow night and i will bring it up there. i know i am not the only equipment "geek" in the hall.

  26. #26Bully2009-03-27 11:01

    How'd the meeting go...any promising news? :beatsme

  27. #27qball2009-03-27 22:01

    doom and gloom. i MIGHT work in mu trade this year. might.

  28. #28Bully2009-03-27 22:50

    Same same. #8 on the list. The Under 4 List. Behind 265+ guys on the topcard list. 90+ on the C card list. :throwup

  29. #29basspro2009-03-28 09:48

    Can you explain how the lists work. I have herd reference to them a bt, but don't know how one goes from one list to another. I also herd 2nd year apprentice goes out 1st? or does a journeyman go out with an apprentice?

  30. #30Turbo218352009-03-28 14:06

    It may vary from local to local. Your place on the list is based on when you call in to add yourself on the out of work list. Here we have a journeyman list and an apprentice list. If I call, and there are 176 guys on the out of work like, im #177. In our local apprentices go out on jobs that they are qualified for. So when your starting out you may be on a pipeline job, watching dewatering pumps. Your job is to lube, and fuel. You may be sent to oil on a crane. You may be sent to run roller, water wagon, or haul truck. The more hours you have and machines you are qualified on, the higher up you go.

  31. #31Tommygun2009-07-13 17:42

    Im an operating engineer. right now im an oiler on a crane so im always on the ground in the mix with everyone else. My first priority is to signal and radio the load to the right place and rig. if i see someone who really needs a hand or asks i will help them out but my first priority is the load and equipment. The union way is a laborer will labor, a carpenter will work with wood and an iron worker will work with iron. Most operating engineers respect the boundries and wont take another mans work. I wish i could say the same for all people. I personally wont step in unless me and others see eye to eye and dont feel threatend by it. over stepping boundries can lead to labor disputes, strikes, or worse. Everybody signed up and trained for a trade so they should be the only ones who do it.

  32. #32racedaymechanic2010-02-17 21:54

    I just stumbled on this forum but I spent 25 years in local 324 the union had no intention of signing me in the 70s as I was a Nobody, I was threatened many times to stay off equipment and each time I Would tell them to sell me a book, I even had a BA threaten to have my legs broken, Eventually they gave in, In that 25 years I never was given a job thru the hall, Every job I ever got was on my own, and the employer who hired me was often told to fire me by 324, I spent 20 years with one company I was always paid over scale as I am a very productive operator and a good leader, Im sure they are glad I am gone as I guess I was a thorn in the side of the local, I worked with alot of good guys thru the years and a few not so good

  33. #33RTSmith2011-01-10 21:38

    I just stumbled on this thread. I find it interesting, as I was brought up as a kid in a small business. Basicaslly, I was taught I had a "roofer's license". If it was under that business' roof, and needed doing, I had a license to handle it. In fact, I was raised with the phrase by my father "If you see something that needs doing, then do it." I heard that one many a time as a youngster with varying degrees of volume..! This concept of just "my job" is so new to me.

  34. #34oldtanker2011-05-23 02:25

    I've read this thread several times. The more I think about it the more angry I become. You are saying that an "operator" sit on his butt doing nothing while on a government contract???? On my tax dollar????? Guess I'm going to spend a lot of time emailing my elected Representatives demanding that all government contracts go only to non union contractors! I know I will never hire a union shop for anything. I'm not paying for some guy to sit around doing nothing cause "it ain't his job". That's about as bad as that police union yelling because the chief of police actually arrested someone. They are saying he is management and by contract isn't allow to make an arrest. According the the rip off artist....er union he should have called an officer to make the arrest! What a load of crap! That boils down to the union defrauding the tax payer! Come on, work a real job and set around doing nothing and it's grounds for dismissal for "theft of time". But by being a union member now it's OK???? How would you like it if your wife called a union plumber while you were setting in the cab of yer dozer doing nothing to fix something in your home. Couple of guys show up and they just set there cause it ain't his job to pull out some wood work and they are waiting on the union carpenter to show up.... but you gotta pay the time anyway???? Don't get me wrong, at one time the unions did great things in getting the workers fair wages and safer working conditions. But they have gone way overboard and convinced the members that it's their due to get these conditions. By what right is anyone paid for doing nothing?.....oh yea it's called welfare! Convince me that I'm wrong about this.....and don't even start with that brother stuff....go and do some research....it's ain't brother it's COMRADE! If it cost more to do something because it's union it isn't creating jobs for yer brother because less is getting done for more money. If you can do it for less you can have more work. And I have not seen anything to make me think that union workers do it better. I've worked construction, was a OTR driver, mechanic, insurance adjuster and soldier (for 20 years...ARMOR!). I know what work is and know how to do it for a fair wage while being productive! Now I'm a broke down, has been, retired disabled vet who's farming at 55. So tell me why I'm wrong! Rick

  35. #35dirty4fun2011-05-23 06:21

    Oldtanker, I would say you hit it right on the head. It has gone way to far the other way. I worked for a window manufacture for a few years. I had to join the carpenter's union as the windows had wood stop holding the glass. Then I wasn't supposed to remove the glass without someone from the glazer's union. I knew those guys and they didn't care as they really didn't want to do that anyway. It was the first time for me ever being on a big union job. There were some real craftsmen who worked, but there were so many that just used the system. They would break half an hour early, as they had to get down stairs to get there coffee or lunch. It was easy to see why it was way over the estimated cost. Since I was pretty much an independent no one bothered me and I worked usually 12 hours seven days a week to get my part of the job done. I was so glad to get out of there and not be a union member.

  36. #36digger242j2011-05-23 06:31

    Then you've probably noticed this post: It doesn't say it in this thread, but because it's such a hot-button issue, and it's only peripheral to our mission here at HEF, we maintain a policy I've referred to as being "aggresively neutral" on the question of unions. In other words, as soon as any poster becomes too aggressive in speaking out for one side or the other, we're most likely to pull the plug. Before anybody gets the vacation mentioned above, is a good time to do that.