Hi guys..I dont know if this is the right place to ask this question..but here it is...What is the deal with being in a union?. I was in Canada awhile ago and the guys says 'i can't use you if you are not union. Are some jobs union only? and some non union...any help with this would be great...thanks
who let the worms out whow whow..........who let the worms out.....listen you can hear the can of worms being opened. Unions had a place and a time IMO it's over with and has been for some time.
Which is exactly why our policy on the question of unions is one of "aggressive neutrality." What that means is we will not tolerate arguments that lean either direction. There's nothing wrong with answering questions about unions with facts , but once people start posting opinions, that's out of bounds. Thanks. Couldn't have posted a better example of what's NOT allowed if I'd written it myself. That's not meant as a rap on the knuckles to you, maddog, since it really doesn't come up all that often, and people may not be aware of the policy, or just need a reminder from time to time. But, going forward, I'll ask that anybody else posting a reply kindly keep our policy in mind... On edit: Nah, it really didn't fit in "Excavators". Here makes better sense.
the best move a contractor could do is simply dont recognise unions ,they dont run a company they bring to to its knees. if a driver wants he/she can join a union but it wont be recognised by me or my outfit sorry i can hire ya but no to the union
Can I make it more clear? :cool2
I agree digger, seems no one has answered plantmans specific question yet. I can't speak for Canada, just an answer in general. Some jobs require union workers, some companies require union workers. This is typically because these entities have collective bargaining agreements with unions, hence, "I can't use you if you're not union". Likewise, there are plenty of projects and companies that do not require union workers. I know this is just a general explanation but I hope it helps.
Nope - Digger this is clear as a bell.
One thing to keep in mind about unions if you are non union is the local business agent has to sell you a book if the hall can't fill the position. Somebody will no doubt correct me if I am incorrect. I didn't know this years ago when I missed a couple of good interstate highway jobs out west. Recently, it was a pipeline job in SW LA. I don't bother to talk to them anymore. I guess if I'd have gotten in a union, a lot of what happened to me over the years on non-union jobs wouldn't have gone down, as non-union tends to attract the dumbest of the dumb and the lowest of the low and overall makes for some pretty dicey working conditions. But then, having been self employed for along time, too, I just can't cotton to a guy who's gonna tell me I can have a job or not, and when I'm gonna work and when I'm not. I pretty well do as I please these days, and woe to the asshat who says different.
Plantman, I think you got a little of the answer you were looking for. If anybody would like to PM me with a more concise answer, Ill be happy to re-open the thread and post it. And with that to add balance to the thread, I think it's time to say goodnight.