Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Unit crane on wheels

DigDug ยท 2009-06-30 23:04

My friends Unit Crane. His name is Jim Humphrey. This Unit is different from others I have seen here . It is on 10 tires not crawler tracks. He says is came from the Navy and was designed for dock work. Here are some pics. doug

Videos in this topic

Browse the full video library

Replies30
  1. #1amunderdog2009-06-30 23:41

    I count 12 tires ? Although i can only see 8 in the picture. I assume the other 4 are back there. Neat rig. When does the restoration start?

  2. #2DigDug2009-07-01 12:16

    My mistake you are right. I was thinking a ten wheeler dump truck I guess. There are 12. :Banghead

  3. #3willie592009-07-01 21:20

    We'll give you a pass on that one Dug--you're probably still discombobulated from running that cable hoe. :lmao

  4. #4td25c2009-07-04 17:04

    I was never around a wagon crane.Do the front wheels steer?will it move under it's own power like a crawler crane?On the last picture it looks like it was the anti-2block switch on the boom.Thats a neet old crane DigDug.

  5. #5TunnelGuy2009-09-16 21:34

    The wagon crane does move under it's own power, if you look between the rear set of wheels there are drive chains that are ran from the center of the machinery deck through a traction shaft to all 4 rears. steering is done using a simple hydraulic cylnder between the front wheels. the crane is likely a 1220W which ours is rated for 25 tons. kind of a nice yard crane, it has 4 speeds and can pick a decent load. The nice thing about a UNIT is that the whole crane is ran from 1 mechanical transmission, brakes and mech clutches - a true friction rig - no air or hydraulic assist. it can wear you out if you are clamming all day.

  6. #61923mack2009-10-20 11:40

    Wagon cranes were never made in large quantities, but are seen around here now and then. The 2 axle 8 wheel is more common that the 3 axle 12 wheel your friend has. Scrap yards and military are common locations of them.

  7. #7DigDug2009-10-20 19:14

    I was told that crane was on a Navy dock somewhere.

  8. #81923mack2009-10-21 10:36

    I almost bought a wagon crane from up in the Bay area of Northern California. It was also an 12 wheel model. It was an over weight and overwide load. The price was fair, but moving cost made it a no sale.

  9. #9UnitCrane5142012-04-03 15:21

    That looks like a 1020C, With a 2 speed travel system, looks very restorable. What engine is in it?

  10. #10cranefreak532012-05-10 07:18

    Crane must be a 1220 or 1520 W. My father had them in the past coming from US army and Navy depots. Very nice crane to operate and maintanance was very easy. This crane was its time far ahead in comparison to other crane manufacturers.

  11. #11IHguy2012-06-07 09:09

    Hello 1923 Mack, Do you have old Mack trucks? I am looking for some parts. Marty/ IHguy 773-490-9747

  12. #12Anton gosley2012-10-27 14:46

    Hello, We are going to use an old unit crane for a display. Although it won't have to function, we would like to create a longer derrick. Does any one know if there are extension sections available? Also we would like a replacement foot window as this one is shattered. Thanks Anton 905 329 4321

  13. #13UnitCrane5142012-10-27 20:27

    As in derrick you mean the boom??? Why are you just displaying it? I know a supplier with every part imaginable for Unit cranes but if your just displaying the machine it wont be worth the money for an actual Unit boom section. If you do still want a longer boom you can simply make a 10 or 5 foot section with some angle iron. I made 2 10 foot sections for my Unit dragline and it does the job just as good as the actual Unit boom. Also make sure you use the proper length pendant lines and the right length of cable for the bridle section. I have a full set of manuals that I can send you through email if you want them let me know. Mike

  14. #14UnitCrane5142012-10-27 20:31

    Oh and one more thing, as for the glass just get a piece of 1/4 inch safety glass and cut it to size with a razor knife....might be 1/2 inch thick or so, I will check what size when I get a chance. Just make sure you use weather strip caulk so it wont leak when it rains.

  15. #15bigshow2012-10-27 21:38

    You wouldn't happen to know where I could find some boom for a bantam would you?

  16. #16UnitCrane5142012-10-28 09:35

    Nope no Bantam booms...sorry! For what size, C-35? You woukd happen to have a Bantam manual that you could email me would you? I have a T-35 Schield Bantam, I just built extra bokm sections for mine....its way easier than trackin down a actual Bantam boom. Contact Gerharts Machinery...they mostly have Northwest and Murphy diesel parts but they probably still have what you need. Let me know about the manual if you have one, could really use one, even if its a copy I dont care...still does its job!

  17. #17bigshow2012-10-28 12:42

    I got a t-350, and I have manuals for it, I will probably end up making boom but if I could buy it I'd be more confident with it. I have been in contact with Gerharts with no such luck. Pm me your e-mail address and I'll get you a copy if you'd like.

  18. #18ror76a2012-10-28 15:58

    UnitCrane514, Can you post some pictures of your machine, and the boom sections you built for it. Maybe some measurements would help these guys.

  19. #19DigDug2013-06-05 23:09

    Im happy to say my friend Jim sold me the Unit crane at the beginning of this thread. I hope to restore it and will be using it at my yard. I plan to drive it to the shop which is about 2 miles. Will post some pics when I do. doug

  20. #20DigDug2013-06-16 12:01

    Got the UNIT crane home this morning. Decided against driving it home and had it hauled on lowbed. Im excited to start cleaning it up and using it in the yard. FIrst pic is picking it up at my friends Jim Humphrey (Red hat on). Second pic is unloading at my shop. 3rd pic sitting at the shop.

  21. #21glenlunberg2013-07-24 22:54

    Great crane. I think it will look more nice if you will finish it cleaning. Please update us for this crane unit.

  22. #22DigDug2013-11-02 21:18

    UPDATE on the 1952 UNIT Crane , model 1520CE. When the crane arrived it had 3 major problems . 1) the house was locked so it would not swing/rotate , 2) the drive gear was froze in place so it would not come out of drive to put in the swing mode. 3) the swing gear was froze on splined shaft so it would not shift into swing mode. I worked on and off over a few weeks trying to get the "house lock" undone from lock position so the house would rotate. About this time I met Mark Crowell who found me on this site from doing a search for UNIT Cranes and found this thread. He grew up with his father and family business running cranes out of Cape Cod , Massachusetts and specifically UNIT cranes like mine in the 60's , 70's & 80's and it still a crane operator and equipment operator for Harry Crooker in Maine. Mark and I have met up and worked on the crane Sundays for the last 4 or 5 Sundays. So after lots of penetrating oil , heat , hammering and patience the house lock came free and the upper house would rotate . This took about two weeks of after work and sundays. Pic #2 is the drive gear which was stuck engaged and we needed to lift up a splined shaft to disengage. Easier said than done , this took 3 or 4 Sundays 8-10hrs days and every week night spraying splines with penetrating oil. pic #1 is the shaft the gear had to slide up. This is all in a gearbox with very tight access and u had to be a contorsionist to work on this thing.

  23. #23DigDug2013-11-02 21:44

    So the house lock is fixed and the drive gear is disengaged and cleaned up . Now it was time to get the swing gear to engage . With the help of Mark we found a access cover on top of the gear case that we could access the swing gear. After chiseling up 60+ years of solidified grease we got to the cover and removed it. Then with just a little tapping , penetrating oil , and a hammer and prybar we got the swing gear slid down the splined shaft and into gear. This was a big accomplishment for me and a chance to start the crane and see it swing. The ol'girl hasn't swung in at least 20yrs that the previous owner had it and maybe longer. My friend video taped it for me and I will post it here as soon as I can. The UNIT swung with no problem and it was a great feeling to see it go. Heres some pics of the crane and Mark working on vacuuming out some crud to lift off the access cover to the center case where the swing gear is. Now the next thing to do is put it all back together and button it up for winter. I plan to have some new hydraulic hoses for the steering and some air hoses for the brakes made this week and I can finish putting the gear case back together. doug

  24. #24ValleyFirewood2013-11-02 23:16

    From the base in Brunswick or Portsmouth? I grew up in Northern Maine. No snow for you guys? My folks got about 4" a few days ago.

  25. #25DigDug2013-11-02 23:45

    Valley no snow down here in southern Maine yet. Maybe flurry tomorrow. I think the crane was down south more maybe Maryland? I also see notes in the parts book about some parts places in Pennsylvania. P.S. - I would love to be in AK , but momma not to interested. ha

  26. #26DigDug2013-11-14 04:04

    Here is the video of the first time it has rotated in 20 yrs. Mark Crowell is operating, My friend is taking video , Im standing there being sexy. http://youtu.be/QjCoTUcwwaY

  27. #27barklee2013-11-14 22:39

    Awesome post! I bet that was a ton of work getting everything free'd up. I take it the motor fired with no issues? Diesel or gas? Do you have any pictures inside the cab? I was just curious to see if it looked like an octopus of levers inside....

  28. #28sillaw2013-11-15 00:23

    There is a 1954 Coles Electric crane for sale near Sydney Aus, that has wheels(8) driven by a perkins diesel , that runs an electric generator that operates the crane and an air compressor. Is this the same kind of operation? It is cheap but as above the cost of moving it doubles the price.

  29. #29DigDug2013-11-15 07:31

    Yes, engine runs beautiful its a Detroit diesel and sounds great, really only have to run it just above idle. Not to many levers maybe 4 important ones. Will find the pic of cab levers and post. doug

  30. #30DigDug2013-11-15 07:33

    NO electric here. The diesel engine couples to a gear case through a clutch. There is a air compressor for the brakes , and a hydraulic pump for the steering.