Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Unladen Wt of F9000 Dump Truck

BrianGrenier ยท 2015-01-16 13:52

Need help with the unladen weight of a F9000 Dump Truck: In our state, farm tags are available for vehicles with a maximum unladen weight of 20,000 lbs. This Ford GVCW is 44,800, the vin tag shows type/g.v.w. as U914, vin is U91Uvca6243. One way to do this is to get a trip ticket so I can get to a scale, but there is no insurance on this rig. Is there another way to determine the unladen weight?

Replies30
  1. #1overworked2015-01-16 15:33

    When a cab and chassis are built, the body installer has to finish the title work, there should be a sticker behind the seat or on drivers door frame with said info like axle weights and a unladen weight.

  2. #2Shimmy12015-01-16 15:41

    If that truck has a 3208 or Detroit, you might be around that 20,000 lbs. More than likely, however, most Fords I have seen of that vintage are around 23-25,000. If it has any longer than a 13' box, your chances are pretty slim.

  3. #3BrianGrenier2015-01-16 15:43

    So, like this one found on drivers door? Can you interpret GVW of U914?

  4. #4overworked2015-01-16 15:51

    No, it should be of a sticker type

  5. #5BrianGrenier2015-01-16 16:01

    Bed is approx. 15' x 3' x 7.5'; Cummins NTC 290, 290hp...it is an 87, I am looking through the manual, U914 shows the GVW as 44,800. So, Shimmy1, slim chance of an unladen of under 20k? Just take it to a scale?

  6. #6BrianGrenier2015-01-16 16:04

    Will look again...

  7. #7gwhammy2015-01-16 17:26

    Being a big block chances are you are around 22,000lbs. My 9400 international with a light 14 foot bed is 21600 with 80 gallons of fuel. I had a 96 fl112 with a really tinny wore out 13 foot bed and a m11,it would get down to 19000 real low on fuel.

  8. #8Steve Frazier2015-01-16 20:39

    For future reference if you need parts or other information, that's an L-9000, not F series. Also called a Ford Louisville which is where they were built. It's been a while since I've been in a 10 wheel dump, I can't remember the tare weight

  9. #9Shimmy12015-01-16 20:53

    Very slim, basically impossible if it has a big block. I'll bet if that truck has a double frame, it'll weigh close to 25,000. Fords are heavy. I have a couple of International 2574's, 1988's, L10, 8LL, 14' boxes, one 100 gallon tank, they weigh in at 23,500.

  10. #10monster762015-01-16 20:53

    My little single axle comes in at 16700 and a hair over 17 with full tanks

  11. #11Shimmy12015-01-16 21:01

    I'm kind of curious about the listed GVW. I've always seen at least 34,000 lb rear suspension and a 12,000 lb front axle. Not sure what Ford used, maybe a Ford guy might shed some light.

  12. #12monster762015-01-16 21:17

    Not sure I know my truck has a gvw of 34999

  13. #13Shimmy12015-01-16 21:30

    That makes sense to me. 23,000 rear, 12,000 front.

  14. #14mitch5042015-01-16 22:05

    34k rears and a 10,800 front axle. I have a 1971 Chevy C90 12' tandem dump with those axles and a 6-71 (converted tractor). It's empty weight is just over 19,000. With an NTC and a 15' bed you will be over 20k. I have never seen a tag with the tare weight of a completed truck, there are way to many variables. A trip to the scales, or bribe a DOT officer to stop by with the portables is the only way to know for sure.

  15. #15Shimmy12015-01-16 22:14

    Didn't know they made a 10,800 front. That truck will be lighter than most I've seen, but I still don't think it will be under 20,000. BTW, all IH trucks since 1979 have a tag on the sun visor for the build weight when they roll off the assembly line. Most are illegible, and only remotely accurate on tractors, but useful just the same.

  16. #16mitch5042015-01-17 12:02

    Yeah, but not for the complete vehicle, IH doesn't build dump bodies.

  17. #17Shimmy12015-01-17 12:42

    That's what I meant when I said it's remotely accurate for tractors only. Everything else is just chassis weight. But, you can get close. If the cab and chassis weighs 17,000 lbs, pretty sure if it has a 15' steel dump box on it it's going to be around 22-24,000.

  18. #18BrianGrenier2015-01-17 13:23

    That is really helpful; Thank you! That got me busier looking into the VIN with the manual; this is a LT9000...There are F, L, LT LTS, N, C, CT, N, NT, NT diesel, B Series, and more:** It was made in Ontario (the 'C' code). I have always referred to Ford Trucks as a FSomething, ever since my Dad came home with a new '64 3 on the tree F100; still in the family... Thanks for all the help!

  19. #19Shimmy12015-01-17 13:40

    I would say it has a different than original hood and/or grille, too. That looks like 70's vintage by the pic. I would think it should have square headlights and horizontal bars in the grille.

  20. #20mitch5042015-01-17 16:20

    Hey Shimmy, you may not have noticed, but, we are arguing on the same side of the argument. Let's us go find somebody who disagrees and gang up on him.:guns :wink2

  21. #21Shimmy12015-01-17 16:47

    Yeah, doesn't look like anyone is going to jump in here. Do you know if all 9000's were double frame, or which models were?

  22. #22Steve Frazier2015-01-17 20:51

    The 9000 was only double framed if it was specced that way. I've driven probably 50 different L-9000s, none were double framed, they were day cab tractors. I have seen double framed examples though with dumps and mixers fit. It was probably an option on the order sheet.

  23. #23YEC19982015-01-17 21:05

    I have a few L-series Fords. I have 8 and 9000's you could get them with about any spec. My truck all have Hendrickson walking beams under them. Some Eaton and Rockwells. Some single and some double frames. Rears on mine are 34,000 -44,000's under them. Most have 855 cummins from 290-400 HP. It's hard to say on the weight all depends on spec, frame length, and configuration.

  24. #24td25c2015-01-17 22:26

    Anyone else in your area running farm tags on tandem dump trucks ?

  25. #25Shimmy12015-01-17 22:30

    Here in ND, you can put farm plates on anything you want. It can only be used for hauling your own products.

  26. #26YEC19982015-01-18 00:17

    I have farm tags on all of my trucks even my lowboy tractor. Over the last couple of years the work around here had dried up and to save money I put farm tags on all my trucks. I haven't had any trouble with it so far. One day I may go back to commercial tags but not until they make me. My trucks are licensed and insured and I do have farm land so their isn't much they can do to me.

  27. #27ben46a2015-01-18 07:35

    We were running L9000s with 3306, 8ll, 44,000 lb rears,20k front, single drop belly frame. And 15.5 foot dump and the trucks usually tared in around 23-24000.

  28. #28BrianGrenier2015-01-18 15:30

    I'm thinking that steel box/dump bed, is 'ladening this rig's weight up If with the box it's over 20, how much weight does the box weigh, so, without the box, can it hit the twenty thousand pound target Also interesting is title shows 1987 as the manufacture date on the title and on the VIN tag, but the engine date of manuf shows january of 1978...Maybe um transposed characters on the the VIN tag? Maybe the VIN tag is wrong and the engine is right. The look of the rig certainly looks like seventies that's right. The rig has had some body work and it looked like there was room for a different size headlight and maybe this look is original maybe not. I think it would be original. But with different lights and a grill it could look like a eighties model? 38,000 capacity rears and 3.7 ratio, 12k front. Still looking for Farm Plates...(here in AK, we now have permanent registration for older rigs)

  29. #29YEC19982015-01-18 16:07

    I think 1986 was the last year for round headlights. I have a 1987 L9000 and it has square headlights.

  30. #30mitch5042015-01-18 18:00

    Not a Ford, but I have 2 IH S2375s, the '86 has round headlights, the '87 has square. My '87 has an '89 engine in it, engine swaps aren't uncommon.