In BC and Alaska logs are hauled to the water by truck, and unloaded into the water several ways. Here, an A-Frame lifts whole loads off and drops them in the water...............These were taken in Alaska.
Wicked Cool ! I like it.
great pictures. i like the floating hotel for the men. thansk KoO Published Author
Ran across and old pic this weekend of an early wooden A-frame setup. The yarder looks to be a Washington or Skagit, and is mounted on a sled made of old-growth logs about 60' long. This was Silver Bay Logging in Alaska, 1974. Thought it was so cool I had to share it.
Here's a better picture of the floating camp.
Madill 026 dump machine at Juskatla, BC. YouTube - LOGGING TRUCK, HAYES HDX AT DUMP,1978, PART 2
Looks just like I remember it from when I was at Juskatla in 1974. The loads were dumped there then roughly boomed up before being moved to Shannon Bay where they were loaded on barges for the trip south. Used to be an older French guy with a much younger wife at Shannon Bay back then. I can't recall their names though. Later they built the dryland sort and the whole flow of logs changed and I would guess that A-frame wasn't used after that. Still amazed at all the neat pics you guys have. Thanks for sharing them. Brings back quite a few memories from those days. Take care.
Re-load A-frames Here are some pictures I took back in summer 2005 on Vancouver Island at CANFOR's (now WFP) railway operation in the Nimpkish Valley. It must be the last survivor of logging railway lines in BC. Loads are reloaded using A-frames from trucks to steel log cars. From southern part of Nimpkish Valley to Beaver Cove there are several reloads located along the line. Picture 1 shows Holbrook Dysons A-frame at Vernon, pic 2 shows Canfor A-frame at Maquilla and 3rd pic shows Canfor A-frame at Woss camp A north of Woss. Last pictures show detailed reload A-frame system(Maquilla)
I believe the last use of the A-frame was to hoist the old fuel tanks from Shannon Bay off the barge. Probably 1981 or so, and it was gone by '84. You must be thinking of Emil and Elisabeth.
"You must be thinking of Emil and Elisabeth." Thanks amigo. Couldn't recall those names at all but remembered them clearly. I helped them get a few things as required now and then. Did you know Gabe, the Headcook (Chef) at Juskatla back then? Best cookhouse ever when he was running it. I lived next door to him in the staff bunkhouse back then and got to know him a bit. Quite the character one way and another. Do you know Des Decembrini? I hired him when he retired from the Airforce in 1974. Good guy. We steelheaded the Yakoun together a few times in the late '80's when I had the Island Mack store in Sandspit. Other than my MB experience in 74 I loved everything about the Charlottes and was quite happy living up there. Thanks again for sharing your pics and vids. Really appreciate them. Take care.
I barely remember Gabe, the cookhouse etc. closed when I was pretty young. Dez is still around, just saw him last week. The staff bunkhouse was moved up to Tow Hill Road, and is now the Naikoon Motel. Looks exactly the same as it did ages ago. Just a bit run down.