Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Unusual jobs that I somehow get involved in

materthegreater · 2025-06-01 13:15

Moving a barn. They took down all the walls and cut the roof into three sections so it wouldn't be oversize.

Replies29
  1. #1materthegreater2025-06-01 13:16

    And there it sits at the lavender farm until they're ready to reassemble. I installed 9 piers for it to sit on last week.

  2. #2Columbo2025-06-02 19:18

    That’s the beauty of living in a small, rural town! Once people know you’re handy, and have equipment, you get called for all sorts of things. I give you credit, I moved a small shed in two trips and said never again. Had my excavator on one end to offload it and a friendly neighbor with a cherry picker to load it on the trailer. Looks like you did a great job!

  3. #3skyking12025-06-02 20:37

    nice bracing and rigging.

  4. #4materthegreater2025-06-03 05:57

    Using a log loader is a great idea because it can rotate the grapple to align the shed to the trailer!

  5. #5materthegreater2025-06-06 08:40

    This one was more unusual for me: moving and installing a dock. It required the use of my boat and 10 ton trailer (the only part of the project that is related to heavy equipment).

  6. #6materthegreater2025-06-06 08:42

    There was a bald eagle family living on the lake View from the customer's house:

  7. #7Willie B2025-06-06 10:23

    43 years ago today, on our first wedding anniversary I got word I was successful bidder on three buildings at the old Boy Scout camp at Grout Pond. Can't say why Mrs. B. didn't have me committed to an institution. 18 X 26 trading post got moved efficiently with a triangle of logs under it, hooked the trailer behind a log skidder, winched it up onto the trailer. Took the 20 X 40 mess hall away with a log truck with loader. Stood 20 foot wall sections up, roof got stripped. 7 heavy trusses too. Third building, I tore down.

  8. #8materthegreater2025-07-17 21:04
  9. #9materthegreater2025-07-17 21:06

    View from the top: (Almost) Finished product:

  10. #10materthegreater2025-09-24 21:42

    Target acquired

  11. #11JS4302025-09-24 22:13

    A friend of mine had the biggest Quanset Hut I've ever seen. It had to be a 60' or 80' by 250' or 300'. I quizzed him about it a little and if I remember right he bought it from the DFW airport at an auction for $1. Problem was he only had a few days to move it. He got it done but there's know way I'd try something like that.

  12. #12skyking12025-09-24 22:18

    there was only 1 crown to ride and only once. What were they trying to accomplish out there with a tractor?

  13. #13materthegreater2025-09-24 22:32

    Busting up a beaver dam

  14. #14skyking12025-09-24 22:34

    that was my guess. I hope they learned something.

  15. #15materthegreater2025-09-25 06:23

    I think he learned that even in a drought, a tractor still can't go everywhere. He was smart enough to stop before it got any worse.

  16. #16materthegreater2025-12-21 06:43

    I helped a friend with a crab apple removal yesterday.

  17. #17Old Doug2025-12-21 07:33

    They moved most of a small town close to were i live . Makes me wonder build new or move what is the $$$ figure out ?

  18. #18Old Doug2025-12-21 07:35

    I understand things grow but If a person really took time and trimmed stuff would it save a lot of work ?

  19. #19materthegreater2025-12-21 08:44

    Cost a lot less to move than to buy materials to build.

  20. #20materthegreater2025-12-21 08:45

    This customer hired my friend to take down the tree. I'm guessing they weren't around to remind the previous owners of the property to trim the tree each year.

  21. #21Old Doug2025-12-22 06:38

    They moved a whole town Pattonsburg Mo not far from were i did lived because of floods. It was a deal very interesting .

  22. #22Willie B2025-12-22 07:48

    In an earlier day buildings were mostly timber frames. They were always cut & fitted off site. I see them often with Roman numerals to identify where they were meant to go. Each piece was fitted individually. Depending on year, common sheathing was through & through sawed. Nails were used sparingly. A sheathing plank might have four tapered nails, might be 16" wide. A tapered nail, whether blacksmith made or cut from sheet only needed a bit of loosening, it came out freely. Wierd bit of local history where I live: Mount Tabor was a mountain town. One edge of the town contained Otter Creek, a narrow valley, and the logical place to build Route 7, a major North South highway. 1840s the railroad was built. It was presumed that having a railroad & station would make an isolated town prosper. VT towns bought the land to build the track. Few of the town's residents expected to benefit from a railroad, they had a mountain to climb to get to the railroad. There was a one time property tax of $5. Many didn't pay, some of them couldn't. Town took their property for failure to pay the tax. Decades later, a rich kid from the next town had prospered from family money & railroad, bought 21000 acres from the Town for $1100. a little more than 5 cents an acre. There had been a couple hundred farms on this land. Countless buildings were knocked down, brought to the valley. To this day, several Danby homes came from "the mountain", countless barns still stand in the next town.

  23. #23materthegreater2026-03-06 07:29

    I buried a horse the other day. This was not such an unusual job, except that the customer wanted me to use her equipment. No tire chains and 2wd. Had to claw my way backwards up the hill back to the barn.

  24. #24Willie B2026-03-06 08:09

    I did that once, might have been the same machine, not, that one only had a bit of paint left. The one I used hadn't been greased in this century & had a crack through between center teeth much of the way through the bucket. I still managed to bury a dog.

  25. #25HarleyHappy2026-03-06 10:12

    What was the frost depth, if any under the snow? I see a few chunkers.

  26. #26materthegreater2026-03-06 12:52

    I had to add fuel and hydraulic oil to be able to use it. In her defense, she is a recent widow and living in Florida for the winter. The caretaker doesn't seem to know much about equipment, but her daughter was actually quite helpful in helping me get the horse into the hole. The worst part was not getting too confused with the Deere control pattern...

  27. #27materthegreater2026-03-06 12:52

    Little enough that I didn't notice any. The chunks are probably rocks covered in the sticky clay soil. About 18" of snow maybe.

  28. #28Coaldust2026-03-06 17:53

    That was nice of you.

  29. #29materthegreater2026-03-06 18:28

    Hard to say no to a widow.