Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

unusual use for a telehandler

bill onthehill ยท 2009-01-22 16:25

this cat has been sitting up the road from my place since late fall. the outfit usually runs bobcat t300's with a similar tree spade. this is the first I have seen one used like this,but it should allow them to reach in among the other trees and pluck out the one they want with less damage than a skid. Has not moved since cold weather set in and it will be a good long while till it thaws out enough to dig with it. I dug a hole for a neighbor to bury a cow that died birthing, and had to scratch a bit with my hoe to get through the frost. Bill

Replies12
  1. #1Speedpup2009-01-23 10:09

    no picture opcorn opcorn

  2. #2544D102009-01-25 16:51

    I hope they use that with the boom retracted!

  3. #3pottsy2009-01-26 09:46

    Hmmm.... from that angle is it actually attached or just sitting in front of it? Interesting idea though...

  4. #4bill onthehill2009-01-27 16:35

    answers to your questions I took the camera and stomped back thru the snow to get a close look at this thing. it is attached using a itt style quick connect. it has a reel mounted on the telescoping boom for the sensor wiring for the lock ring and spades. it is an Optimal tree handler from germany and it appears to be a very ruggedly built unit. I cant wait for spring so I can see it in action!! calling for 6-10 inches more snow. spring is coming and we can always plow snow till the weather breaks. Bill

  5. #5pottsy2009-01-27 16:41

    Pretty cool, it would be interesting to see in action.

  6. #6thejdman042009-02-04 12:47

    Never seen that attachment for a telehandler before.

  7. #7I AM IRONMAN2009-03-27 23:24

    It's a very nice looking machine. Kind of expensive to be running a tree spade! I suppose they like it because it will reach out and pick up a tree or reach out to put one in. Also they are very manuverable in the four wheel steering mode. I see a lot of people using Telehandlers for things other than handling building materials, but for the most part, that is what they are best for. Some guys try putting a loader bucket on them and using them for a wheel loader. While they will work, they are not very durable. The boom has slides, chains, shims, pullys, etc. that are very expensive to maintain. If you had to push down on the boom to push the tree spade in, I think it would cause a lot of flexing and wear on the boom.

  8. #8albertozordan2009-04-02 09:18

    Nice attachement! :notworthy Very interesting. Here in Europe those kind of accessory is kinda used, especially in the northern part. Which kind of "strange-attachement" are most used overthere?

  9. #9albertozordan2009-04-02 09:21

    I just found out the web site of the producer. It's very very interesting to see that attachement in use! Take a look: http://www.opitz-optimal.com/index_engl.htm

  10. #10OCR2009-04-02 09:40

    I do that too... unfortunately, they're always our own... OCR

  11. #11Iron Horse2009-04-03 00:50

    Are you putting a Brahman bull over another breed ? If so , they produce offspring with big boof heads that will kill the cow .

  12. #12CatManDoes2009-09-16 08:58

    The attachments are nice.... thanks