Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Updating old Fat Allis

DMiller ยท 2017-03-29 14:10

Well I cannot work on the loader bucket and am limited to lifting weight and needed something to occupy my hands. I have a mill and lathe so set off to update the old gals electrical system. I have finally tired of recharging batteries after use. I have a donor machine so stripped a generator mount from it last year, also purchased a eBay 24v single wire alternator and appropriate sized pulley that should last a while for my usage. Cut down the old mount with the mill at both ends, then cross drilled what used to be 3/8" mounting bolts for a 1/2" cross bolt pivot. Once I am fully released for work again I can finish the loader and then as I have the bucket off replace these. Will have to roll the hard nose for access.

Replies2
  1. #1Dickjr.2017-03-29 22:17

    Easy big fellow , take it easy. If you were board you could have road out last night , shacked up at the local inn and watched us replace the bell housing bolts and a couple hoses on the 943. It would be entertaining to watch , participation sucks sometimes.

  2. #2DMiller2017-03-30 07:27

    Piddling on the lathe and mill were enough 'therapy' for now. The old mount is less than 10# and the alternator less than 25 so well into the approved range so long as I am NOT trying to hang them just yet!! Sitting still not much of a virtue for me, while I am growing SOME patience! I am literally behaving, next week the 4th is the big bandage strips/suture removal and so I can see what an x-ray looks like as to how well all is healing. Will be weeks after before any real work can continue and I am aware of that, may have the third unit scheduled dependent on insurance which will shift all out another five to 10 weeks but I am fully OK with that. Just have to do some little things to keep hands busy, been cleaning/oiling shotguns and rifles as well to do SOMETHING!