Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

USDOT is just a scam

wlhequipment · 2023-11-22 11:28

Sure seems like it anyway. I just got my DOT number; I didn't know I even needed one. I've been running the medium duty truck for about 5 years now, and never got stopped, never had anyone ever tell me I was supposed to have one. I thought as long as I was under 26K, I was ok. That's not the case. Anyway, so I got my number, yay me. So, as soon as you finish that ridiculous application process on FMCSA's website, you start to get calls and emails. I mean hundreds of em. All these agents trying to prey on your inexperience and fears. All these guys telling you "we just checked your USDOT status, and you're in violation..." crap like that. That's total BS. I got my number 2 weeks ago, and I'm still getting calls and emails. They have slowed down though. So then, we have the physical coming up, which I'm not worried about, but that's $500 that my insurance won't pay. Than there's the annual inspection of the truck itself. Here's the real scammy part. I asked the licensing people who I have to take the truck to, and they told me "any authorized USDOT inspection station" and to just google it, which I did. Every shop in my area is "authorized". So here I am, thinking, I'm a mechanic, what do I have to do to get authorized? All I have to do is fill out a form that says I have 2 years experience working on these trucks. I don't even send that in, I just fill it out, and keep it in a file, and I'm authorized. Well, I probably spend almost that time building this truck, so I'm authorized. Then, I found a phrase in the regulations that said fleets can conduct their own inspections. Really? That's not a conflict of interest or anything? I ran all this by my licensing people and yeah, I'm authorized and can conduct my own inspections. Because I'm now a motor carrier with a fleet of 1. So, all of this is just a way to spend more money to keep a number.

Replies38
  1. #1excavator2023-11-22 11:53

    3rd party companies trying to make a buck doing the paperwork that you can do yourself. It really has nothing to do with the DOT, anyone can access the DOT site to see who has a number. I had the same thing, I run a T600 as a service truck and started getting emails and letters so one day when I saw a WSP truck inspector setting at a fire station down the road I stopped and asked him what all I needed to do. I spent an hour and a half talking with him, he was very helpful, he even called the state auditor to ask them a few questions. It turns out all I'm supposed to do is an annual inspection, none of the stuff in the emails apply. I can also do my own inspection but I choose to pay a local truck shop a $100.00 to do it, that way if there is an accident there's less responsibility on me.

  2. #2cfherrman2023-11-22 18:46

    All government is a scam You don't need dot numbers if you are not a motor carrier, whatever that means. I didn't put them on my rig but I can't go out of state now.

  3. #3CM19952023-11-22 19:00

    $500 for a DOT physical?! My chiropractor charges $110, in and out in less than 30 mins.

  4. #4Junkyard2023-11-22 19:03

    Round here the farm tag is the answer to all that lol.

  5. #5skyking12023-11-22 19:06

    LOL I'm planting Christmas trees at the new place now, you have given me an idea.

  6. #6Truck Shop2023-11-22 19:11

    Look at it this way it gives all something to constantly bitch about and keeps eveyone's jaw exorcised with all the babble quacking. * The good thing about threads like this is it's entertainment--I spent years dealing with regs. It's wonderful to watch small companies **** and moan over paper work and regs.

  7. #7Truck Shop2023-11-22 19:12

    That doesn't work around here-DOT smells that out real fast.

  8. #8Truck Shop2023-11-22 19:30

    Ok--now that you have it and know about inspections and performing them-next step that most don't do is start a file on any piece that has a DOT number. Any repairs done by you should be on a legit repair order and filed, inspections filed, any outside work filed, keep a complete file incase of any accident or DOT investigation and or a surprise audit.

  9. #9heymccall2023-11-22 19:34

    Here in PA,17k lbs requires a medical card, regardless. As soon as I cross a state line, 10,001 lbs and up requires a medical card. As for inspection, aside from an extra set of eyes looking it over, it also helps in the event of a collision or other reportable offense, in that you did have the truck safety inspected on intervals.

  10. #10skyking12023-11-22 19:48

    I have an appointment Tuesday to get the dump truck gone through and inspected. I am happy to spend the bosses money for that paper trail that TS mentioned above. Boss does not really know it but he should be happy too. They had been winging it for 8 years while I was gone. Not a good situation.

  11. #11CM19952023-11-22 20:11

    Wal-Mart appreciates your post.

  12. #12Junkyard2023-11-22 20:12

    If you’re taking advantage they’ll catch it here too. I have two with farm tags and they’re legit AG use, anything commercial I use one of a couple friends rigs.

  13. #13skyking12023-11-22 20:19

    IF I were to go that route it would be to the closest pit and back for materials to the "farm". You would not catch it anywhere else.

  14. #14_Weldman_2023-11-22 20:44

    Got a registered LLC here that is called a "Ranch" (Sequestered Ridge Ranch) so anything I bring home is bringing back to the "farm/ranch". While we are at it we can throw some red diesel in the mix too on this thread. Stick the tanks on my vehicles and yes you will find red diesel in all of them, I drive more out here between my properties and around them moving stuff than I do on the road in a month. Not calling a fuel truck out here to bring #2 or #1 diesel either to be stored for when needed.

  15. #15wlhequipment2023-11-22 20:58

    I obviously got to shop that physical around a little . Yeah the whole question of whether or not I'm a motor carrier was in question. I carry parts for sale, but they're mine until I install em, so that's a grey area. Bottom line is, I'm over 11k lbs, and I use my rig for commerce. Shady deal for sure, but I did it.

  16. #16_Weldman_2023-11-22 21:06

    Same here, except not my chiropractor, but a chiropractor who does it charges same amount or less.

  17. #17Truck Shop2023-11-22 21:23

    Free Market, Capitalism and free Enterprise-it's all in the price of doing business. * I was licensed/insured/bonded for 11 western states and British Columbia. Had to pay $5.00 bucks every time to reenter the U.S. or spend a $125.00 for a yearly pass------- it all was part of doing business.

  18. #18_Weldman_2023-11-22 21:38

    As they say, pass the buck. Charge you for this permit that license this much for insurance, you just roll it up and stick it in the customers tabs somehow or write it off if smart enough.

  19. #19MG842023-11-22 22:02

    I guess we are somewhat lucky in VA, as long as I stay in state I don’t need a DOT number, or any markings on the truck whatsoever. Also since I stay in state and within 100mi, no log books, IFTA tax or FMCSA inspection, just a regular state inspection like the cars get, although it is $50 instead of $20. I don’t need a medical card either for what I do, but keep one anyways. Just got my DOT physical yesterday, cost $105.

  20. #20skyking12023-11-22 22:15

    the FMSCA inspection covers your arse. It is good to have a fresh set of eyes look over your rig for safety.

  21. #21_Weldman_2023-11-22 22:40

    More of pass the blame from your arse to theirs if something happens.

  22. #22skyking12023-11-22 22:52

    I don't know all the ins and outs of air brakes or what a loose steering box looks like or any other number of safety items. It pays to get a fresh set of eyes on it.

  23. #23cfherrman2023-11-22 23:00

    I changed my CDL to intrastate recently because my back was hurting and didn't want to mess a physical. I'll have to get one eventually so I can drive out of state again. Physical is $100 here, Kansas

  24. #24_Weldman_2023-11-22 23:04

    Some of us are diesel mechanics and hold a CDL and the rigs that need a FMSCA own them know them very well and have more knowledge than others.

  25. #25Vetech632023-11-23 08:26

    GAWD..........I hate trucks LOL

  26. #26Truck Shop2023-11-23 08:32

    So do I--I have been faking it all this time.

  27. #27Truck Shop2023-11-23 08:49

    To get this thread in proper prospective it should be combined with Overload of the Day. Just imagine if there were no regulations-the mayhem that would ensue. People can't police themselves. If people were trustworthy-well that's for another thread.

  28. #28skyking12023-11-23 08:51

    that's for an alternate reality.

  29. #29Zewnten2023-11-24 20:57

    I was stopped in Denver in an utility bed F250 for not having DOT on the side, but they never pulled the KUV van over. No idea why it was different in their deluxe welfare minds.

  30. #30_Weldman_2023-11-24 21:26

    "Statue of limitations has ran out so" Tell you one thing for sure, don't pass the DOT stations in WA state or you might end up with the epic look of a DOT officer like he won the lottery when you pass the station. Swear he ran outside in anticipation as me and the wife looked on and soon as I missed that off ramp it was like he just won Mega Millions. Me and the wife seen it, I got her to hide the stash of liquor bottles and firearms as he comes flying up. Pulled us over and told him who I was and it was like he got cocke blocked, even thanked me for my service and apologized. Felt sorry for the next sucker he pulled over cause I sure he got blue balls after that let down.

  31. #31Birken Vogt2023-11-24 22:48

    Grievance 10 "He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." From the Declaration of Independence.

  32. #321693TA2023-11-24 23:11

    In Illinois a DOT physical is $60.00 out of pocket expense. With a DOT number the vehicle safety inspection interval is 12 months. Without a DOT number the interval is six months. Same cost for either. Same with a semi trailer. Lot of farm plates in use around here. Only 1/2 dozen or so DOT enforcement officers so they watch for trucks hauling for purposes other than farm related. Besides the reduced fees for the registration, the $550.00 HUT is waived if over 55K registered weight.

  33. #33Truck Shop2023-11-25 10:19

    In my years-I've never been harassed by any DOT officers or State Patrol no matter what state or province I was in, not saying I wasn't questioned by them when needed. I kept my paperwork, licensing in order and kept my old fender flopper Pete plus 46'6" American refer in good mechanical condition. Now if anyone was to get pulled in it would be a old flopper like this, but I had crossed so many scales and was known. I had my inspection in the window, just idled across gave a wave and the green light would appear. Get your ducks in a row and you won't have issues. *

  34. #341693TA2023-11-25 10:32

    I never had any problems either over several years running. Some of the guys at scalehouses were quite nice to talk with too as several times we'd use their lots to check chains, restraints, lights etc.

  35. #35Truck Shop2023-11-25 10:45

    I never stopped a coops for sundries-or converse, kept to myself and on the move.

  36. #36_Weldman_2023-11-25 11:04

    Fine line between which scale house wants you to stop or not stop when running farm plates. Easier to say just stop at all of them, but I have noticed if pulled over cause you didn't, it's just as fast as if you did stop at one if everything is in order. Time is valuable.

  37. #37skyking12023-11-25 11:06

    if I got flagged in it was for something they saw, like a light that had gone out after I did my pre-trip or a loose looking binder. It never resulted in an inspection or problem at the scale, beyond showing them my paperwork and fixing whatever it was. They love to do full inspections on the 1 ton and excavator on trailer, because so many of them are running illegally and unprepared. They get done and slap the inspection stickers on and I went on my way. I got pulled in at an emphasis inspection with the bare dump truck, at a wide spot on the 509 highway. Truck was current and FMSCA stickered. He rolled around for a while on his creeper and got out and filled out the "no violations" paperwork and put the sticker on the right front of the windshield. I turn those in to the boss and make a copy for my file.

  38. #38cfherrman2023-11-25 13:13

    Reminds me of a second hand story. Trooper pulled over two trucks from the same company and the first inspection driver was a *******, trooper hit him for everything, second driver was part time and didn't really have and log book, trooper asked him if he had all his paperwork in order which drive said yes, trooper sent him down the road. Kansas troopers are really good, you can call them and ask questions and they always have an answer, might be a different answer from each trooper but they have them.