Hi Friends!!! I want to know what is the use of mechanical seals in Agricultural Equipment?
Anybody knows answer? Please help...
If you are referring to Duo-cone or face type seals, I don't believe there are any uses in ag equipment.
If he is referring to duo cone seals, I believe the Challenger tracked tractors use them in the reaction arms.
Thank you for your reply. I want to ask Mechanical Seals & Duo Cone seals are same or different?
raj_a, Guess I'll put this in your hands. What are you really asking? Are you looking to sell this? Are you designing something and need ideas on best type of seals to use? Duo Cone seals I believe are a Cat design or at least that is the only place I have seen them used. The are very basically two hard steel rings that are held in contact by the springing action of large rubber rings. There are other seal designs that could be referred to as "Mechanical Seals". Such as the seals used in many water pump with a carbon ring running against a ceramic ring. Also there is the labyrinth seals, I would need to find a picture of one of those to explain how they work. The more I think of it I seem to recall a Dresser loader that had a somewhat different version of the Duo-Cone Cat type seal in the finals. And Google is your friend: http://www.tss.trelleborg.com/global/en/products_2/mechanicalfaceseals/mechanical-face-seals-heavy-duty-seals.html These are what the Duo-Cone seals look like, so I guess Cat does not own the design!
My old Case 1080B excavator and 1150C dozer had duo cones for the front idlers and final drive.
Thank you kshansen for your reply
I'm curious about something raj_a, you've started several threads here with questions about seals and it appears you represent a company that manufactures seals. Are you not familiar with your own product??
Hi, I know about my product.. I just wanted to know about people opinion, what they think... And I think getting knowledge is not waste of time.. You get different overviews from different people & it definitely help to improve us... The main use of Forum is to discuss & share our views.. So I am doing that only..
When i got out of school i worked for a guy that had AC HD11 dozers they used alot of this seals and they were the worst part of these dozers. The rollers had Mechanical seals and mudd,sand and water would destroy them. After he retired i worked on newer dozers with better seals and thought they would stop useing them all together. They have there place and thats far away from dirt,sand and water.