Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Used a “big” excavator today

CT18fireman ยท 2007-06-03 15:54

Well this weekend I got to use what is now the biggest machine I have run. Most of my experience is on TLBs, Skide Steers and Mini Xs. Today I was helping a contractor friend, clear, sort and grade a lot. He was jumping between his bulldozer (some old Deere unit) for grading and his Cat 416 Backhoe which he was using to pull clean topsoil and fill out of his screen. I was in a Cat 318 with a thumb which I know still may be considered small but is the biggest I have run so far. I was pulling stumps and brush as well as feeding the screen occassionally. It took me a minute to get used to it but I was impressed, the larger excavators seem much more stable then I am used to. The power was impressive. To be able to stump in one swipe and move around the site with ease. Needless to say I made some side cash this weekend and had a lot of fun doing it.

Replies0

No replies yet.