I didn't buy the last dump truck, 1990 Freightliner converted from a plow truck. The guy was asking 9K, I thought about it and I offered 8K. I had a few concerns with the constant running belt driven pump and he seemed upset that I said the fact he owned the truck for 4 years and never did a service on it was a bit of a red flag. He claims he never used it much and services his equipment as necessary. I should have said, so you have no idea when the oil was last changed or the coolant checked. Unless the oil looks brand new isn't one of the first things you do with a new (used) purchase, service it? He said he bought 4 new tires for the back and will paint it and get $16 or 17K for it. 4 new deep lug tires won't help much if the other 4 aren't deep lug and less than 50%. You didn't sell it for 11.5K, or 9K so your going to throw more money at it hoping to get 16K. Good luck with that. LoL Got a response on a 1985 Ford L9000 with a 400 Cummins and a 15 speed. Apparently in good condition for an older truck and asking $8300. Says it could pass safety without much work. I just need a truck for off road but that's reassuring. What are things to check on a Cummins and L9000? Here's the add. http://www.kijiji.ca/v-heavy-trucks/edmonton/ford-l9000/1191810677?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
That seems like a great truck. I have had a few the only difference being the trans but a 15 spd should be great for a dump. Those Cummins are really dependable and easy on fuel. the cab parts are getting a little harder to find but I haven't had much trouble yet. All of mine have gave up on the frame or rears before anything else. Price is a little high for 31 year old truck but if not much is needed to put on the road then Id go for it.