Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Used JLG 460SJ ownership, is it a tool or a project

leitrick ยท 2014-02-16 13:59

I've read dozens of threads and learned a lot about these lifts already thanks to this forum. I want to thank all of you for the education. On the flip side though, I am more hesitant than ever to own one of these. I am considering buying a used JLG 460SJ and don't really know what to look for to avoid buying someone else's problem. I know that any used machine will be a former rental unit, which makes me nervous. My experience with tented tools is that they're beat to crap. Any input at all regarding what to look for, what to avoid, and what to expect would be immensely appreciated.

Replies6
  1. #1willie592014-02-16 15:20

    Welcome to HEF leitrick. :drinkup Contrary to the conventional wisdom that "rented tools are beat to crap", that's not necessarily the case with a rental aerial lift. After all, if it were beat to crap, thereby making it unsafe for operation, then by default they wouldn't allow it in their rental fleet. Rental aerial lifts must be maintained to be able to pass required annual inspections, unless it's a unit that was damaged/destroyed on the last job it was on and is now being sold as a "salvage machine". Just give the machine a thorough look over, check for engine and hydraulic leaks, check operation of all functions at both ground and platform controls, check the condition of the cables and hoses that run the length of the boom, and if it's a JLG machine that was previously a rental unit it should have an annual inspection sticker on the lower frame somewhere, note the last date that it was inspected and when next inspection is due.

  2. #2southernman132014-02-16 17:54

    What year is it? Diesel or dual fuel? How many hrs. Typically the 460 SJ os a really good unit, but that doesn't mean it's not past it's time and due for major service.

  3. #3leitrick2014-02-16 18:08

    Thanks willie59, for the tips. Good points as well. Sounds like its the same as any other equipment; thoroughly check for the obvious. I didn't know weather or not particular makes or models have known trouble spots, like some vehicles do. Thank you again for the advice, I will put it to good use.

  4. #4leitrick2014-02-16 18:12

    Hey southernman13, I'm looking to find a diesel, 4wd with under 3000 hrs. From what's out there, it will be between model year 2000 & 2005.

  5. #5barklee2014-02-16 18:49

    I have two 2006 JLG 460SJ machines and i can tell you they are a pretty reliable machine. A couple common things with these are the basket rotator and house swing assemblies like to leak and are very expensive to repair. Also take care to carefully inspect the cable track and make sure the hoses and power cables are in good shape. Look at the back of all the wheels for any kind of leaks, check and operate the machine from the platform and make sure everything works and works smoothly. Aside from that you should be good to go, remember also that when you buy one of these used theres a pretty good chance its going to need a little something here and there. Good luck!

  6. #6leitrick2014-02-16 20:12

    Barklee, great info, thanks.