Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Used Mini Excavator Buying Tips?

ReligiouslyCAT · 2017-03-06 00:00

Hello, I am in the market for a mini excavator and I saw this 07' KOMATSU PC78MR-6. My main concern is the amount of hours it has on it, to be exact its meter is clocked in at 9,145 hours. Now, this is the first mini excavator I will own and forgive me for my lack of subject-matter knowledge. With that being said, I know that you could have a 1200 hour machine and treat it like crap and it will function like it has been used for 5000 hours. This is what the guy has listed: "The Drivetrain system is fully operational and in very good condition 2 speed. Works smooth in forward and reverse. Drive Motors Operational ✔ Final Drives Operational ✔ All main components are in place and operational Boom Condition Operational ✔ Stick Condition Operational ✔ Swing Tower Operational ✔ Boom Base Pin and Bushings Operational ✔ Pin and Bushings Boom to Stick Operational ✔ Pin and Bushings Stick to Bucket Operational ✔ Turn-Table Bearing Operational ✔ Bottom Covers Operational ✔ Roller Frames Operational ✔ Excavator Bucket and Teeth Operational ✔ Blade Condition Operational ✔" As of now I have not gone to see it yet. If I do, are there any questions or things to look out for that I should ask him? Also, is 9k Hours alot for this model? Thank You In Advance, Regards

Replies13
  1. #1auen12017-03-06 00:29

    I've been told that 12,000 hours, the machine is close to dying. And that they are generally not rebuilt, but scrapped for parts. Just some advice I got when shopping for a mini ex. Probably OK if you aren't expecting to use it much and can get it at a cheap price.

  2. #2ReligiouslyCAT2017-03-06 00:36

    Hello Sir, Thank you so much for your response. Do you think if I could get it around $25k it would be worth it? Regards

  3. #3auen12017-03-06 00:45

    I wouldn't know. I bought an operational Hitachi EX80 a few years ago w/ 9,000 hours for $11,000, just for an idea. Think I got a decent deal on it, but it was a much older model than the one your looking at.

  4. #4ReligiouslyCAT2017-03-06 11:52

    Hello, Thank you for your replies. Yeah... I am not too sure and I would have to go physically look at it. If anyone has any other ideas feel free to add. Thanks in advance, Regards

  5. #50072017-03-06 18:46

    Hello ReligiouslyCAT, Buying a second hand EX can be a night mare. If you are not a real gun on the repair side i would highly recommend getting someone in the know to give you a report on the machine. Listing operational on every thing is a load of crap, you need 0-100% wear on each item so you can add up what repairs are coming up and cost them. The heaver the machine the more powerful and work projects that can be done but if you are not going into contracting or have a specific reason for an 8ton machine consider going smaller. Generally every part costs more the heaver the machine and if your buying second hand that has to be factored in. Whether the machine is tidy and in good condition or fairly abused most things can be fixed easily, but the motor and hydraulic pump are the heart of the machine and if needing work or replacement the costs can be eye watering. Even if I have checked out a machine and are happy with it I allow the cost of a reconditioned main pump in my possible costs. Often machines will be advertised as just having new motor or main pump or final drives replaced. I would avoid all machines with the above and is interesting to note the hours on the machines as you get a bit of an idea when they start to implode. What I find so frustrating is people will advertise machines as being ready for work and in tip top condition and you get there and there only fit for farm use they are so flogged. Good Luck with your Search.

  6. #6Clguest2017-03-06 20:57

    IMO...9000 hours is a lot for any model. I would recommend stay under 1500 hours and even then most mini's I have seen for sale recently are for sale for a COSTLY SERVICE reason. Save your sanity and rent what you need. If you must persist...demo the unit on your property for 50 machine run hours. Then you will have begun to know what you are buying. In my way of thinking, 9000 hours is like buying a Chevy sedan with 340,000 miles. It is just a matter of time before repair costs greatly exceed the purchase price.

  7. #7ReligiouslyCAT2017-03-06 21:02

    I see, thank you for the advice Sir. That's really wacky people would even try to sell these things with 9000 hours. He is offering $30,000 do you think it is even worth $20,000 in good condition? Thanks in Advance

  8. #8Clguest2017-03-06 21:22

    Nice looking machine; but for me the risk of a very high hour unit would eliminate it from consideration. To each his own.

  9. #9Glen Bell2017-03-06 21:40
  10. #100072017-03-07 05:20

    You really have to look at the whole package and how many hours you think you will put on the machine. Some people only have one project and take the risk and usually get away with cheap machines. I can't stand doing that but each to there own. Alot of big hour machines go on to farms and quarry work and last for years as they usually don't work hard. Does it have a full bucket set because buying buckets can be expensive. I find that each weight class of machine generally will withstand more hours as the machines go up in size. 9000 hours on that is like 2000hours on sub 2ton machine so has got to be getting fairly tired. I personally would not touch it but if you like it you should be able to offer silly money because no contractor will be interested in it with those hours. I agree with Glen Bell and keep looking.

  11. #11Bill Smith2017-03-07 07:29

    Id walk

  12. #12movindirt2017-03-07 13:55

    $20k for a 8 ton hoe with 9k hours?? I'd run as fast as you can. What all are you needing a machine for? Just having fun on your own property?

  13. #13Bill Smith2017-03-08 07:33

    Go lease one