Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Used oil

cwooten ยท 2008-03-11 11:24

Does any one know if it is ok to burn used engine or hydralic oil mixed in with say 300 gallons of diesel? With fuel so high I didn't know if adding 15 or so gallons of used oil in 300 gallons would hurt anything.

Replies23
  1. #1Turbo218352008-03-11 12:50

    No idea, but i would imagine both oils mixed with fuel are not going to provide that much in savings. I would also think in doing that, you will end up replacing your fuel filters more often, which will negate any savings you will see.

  2. #2pushcat2008-03-11 20:07

    Why on earth would you put dirty, contaminated oil in your supposedly clean fuel. I have been having enough problems with dirty/watery fuel lately without purposely adding contaminents. Been lucky to get 100hrs on fuel filters anymore. Now if your talking about a used oil burning furnace, go ahead, but it's mighty pricey heat.

  3. #3tuney4432008-03-11 21:09

    There was a bonafide Georgian redneck on the DP who mixed 50% ''burnt'' {his term for waste oil} with illegal red for on- road use.I called it snake oil{which he for some weird reason he liked} and we had a lot of funin going on with his stories.A bud of his vouched for his antics with pics---he swore it ran better than our ''government fuel''.Personally,I wouldn't do it.

  4. #4rino14942008-03-11 21:54

    hahahaha

  5. #5John C.2008-03-11 22:02

    A bunch of years ago I know of a coal mine that mixed the used engine oil in with their hydraulic oil. I know that the used oil had to be processed but I don't know how or what the costs were. The only advantage I could ever think of was that they didn't have to pay to haul away the old oil.

  6. #6Dirtman20072008-03-11 22:13

    We only use our old oil to start brush fires. Personally I would never put used oil in any of my equipment. Fuel filters cost way to much to be clogging them up with nasty oil.

  7. #7cwooten2008-03-11 22:26

    I think I will save it for the brush pile then, or just recycle it. Thanks.

  8. #8dirtwhore2008-03-11 23:48

    The outfit I work for heats the shop with used oil. Seems like a logical solution to me. I know when I get my shop built, Im putting in a oil burner for heat and just take home some oil everytime I head home! When I was a kid, Dad would use it for dust abatement in front of the house! A buddy of mines Grandpa who built a lot off logging roads always told us not to bury a Forest Service inspector in the road, cause the gypo logger that comes into log the area will dig a hole right in that spot to change the oil in his Cat!

  9. #9544D102008-03-12 00:01

    If you did that here in Kalifornia you would be labeled and eco terrist and sued for ever last penny that you had.

  10. #10VjjR2008-03-12 00:12

    on cummins forum there is a huge discussion about adding one once of 2 stroke oil to one gallon of diesel. makes sense to me but they talk about only running special quality oils. but either way I wouldn't go more than an once a gallon especially used. just a little info for u.

  11. #11Northart2008-03-12 00:35

    Used Oil as Fuel additive ? I would not mix, used engine or hydraulic oils, with diesel fuel. Looks like your going the wrong way, degrading the quality of the fuel, instead of improving the quality. Cetane and BTU values are going to diminish , plus increased engine wear from dirty fuel. Ever look on the old Caterpillar Fuel Caps, says "Buy Clean Fuel " cast in raised letters. Kinda like watering down good Whiskey. Get a waste oil burner for shop heating, if you just need to get rid of the stuff. There are outfits that do take waste oil just for that purpose, clean it and resell it, for heating shops.

  12. #12qball2008-03-12 00:49

    how about running whiskey in your equipment, a little for the tractor, a little for the operator.:drinkup

  13. #13637slayer2008-03-12 01:01

    i worked for a company that mixed their old oil with their fuel, they did it just to get rid of it. i wasnt working for them at the time, the first time they opened up one of the engines and seen the sludge build up on everything they quit doing it.

  14. #14Northart2008-03-12 01:19

    Use Clean Fuel Here is a reminder from a fuel cap from a 1943 D4-2T .Message is still valid for today , 2008 . They still used this same cap till ??? when they started putting the vandal locking cover over it. Alcohol is a fuel also.

  15. #15OzDozer2008-03-12 01:32

    The idea of adding waste oil to diesel fuel is not new, and is acceptable under certain circumstances. I seem to recall several companies offering a device to do just that .. and on many minesites, all waste oil is recycled in this manner. On the following website link, is a patent issued for a device to utilise waste oil in diesel engines. http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/5336396-description.html The previous poster who said the Cetane and BTU values would diminish in diesel, when oil is added, has got it wrong. The Cetane and BTU values go UP when oil is added. Oil added to currently-highly-refined diesel fuel turns it into the same, less-refined grade of diesel fuel, that you used to be able to buy to run your old Cats on .. and Cat bragged about the old Cats being able to run happily on the less-refined diesel fuel, without a need for highly refined diesel. The less a fuel is refined, the more energy content it has. Thus adding oil to modern diesel fuel will get you a net energy gain. Cats old mantra about "buy clean fuel - keep it clean" came about, in the early 1930's, when fuel was stored in open containers .. most operators and owners understood little about diesel fuel systems .. and road asphalt was known to be shovelled into Cat fuel tanks .. "because Cat said they will burn anything! .." .. and massive fuel contamination with water and dirt, was common. However .. there ARE downsides before you start adding waste oil to fuel. Just pouring waste oil into your diesel tank, means you're also adding a lot of contaminants to the fuel. Water, carbon, acids other combustion by-products .. are all held in suspension in used oil, and need to taken out to make the oil useable again in any application. Just pouring the waste oil in your tanks will block your filters prematurely, and may also see some of the contaminants reach the fuel injection system. Here's where the rub come in. Modern electronic diesel injection systems are very finicky. They operate on extremely high pressures as compared to yesteryears trucks and tractors .. they have narrow parameters for fuel properties .. and their electronic control systems get upset very quickly, when the fuel becomes even slightly contaminated, alters its viscosity, or its lubricity. A mild change in these properties may cause an ECU or other processor to refuse to allow electronic injectors to fire. There is also a potential problem with any particulate filters in your engines system. A particulate filter is going to get blocked more quickly with waste oil added to fuel, and you need to take that into account. Having said that .. IF you filter the waste oil properly (a simple toilet tissue roll filter with a small gear pump works just fine, if a little slow) .. AND add only about 1% oil to your diesel fuel .. the difference in the fuel viscosity and lubricity should not be discernable to most electronic fuel injection systems, and you should benefit on two fronts - slightly improved power and no waste oil charges to contend with.

  16. #16Northart2008-03-12 03:43

    Waste Oil Fuel Additive? Hello OzDozer, Seems to me your going in circles with the topic. The guy wanted to extend (Stretch) the fuel , get more bang for his buck. Recycling the waste oil , not new oil , on a small scale , I.E. 300 Fuel gallons at a time is hardly worth the effort. 1% of 300 = 3 gallons of used oil to be added at a time. Granted large scale operations are another matter. I.E. Mines. Does not #1 Diesel have a higher Cetane # than #2 Diesel ? As a practical matter, nobody burns #3 or Bunker C or lessor refined Diesel fuels today, because of emission laws. Ships at sea I'm sure do. Caterpillar along with everyone else, used what fuel was available in the past ! The refining capacity just was not there. At least Caterpillar had the Social Responsibility, even back, in them days, to alert or warn people, of their own faulty actions. Nobody else did ! Far as "Open Containers" , I heartily dispute that allegation. Most ordinary prudent people would not store fuel in open containers. Water in fuel, and rust sediments is still a major contaminant problem. Fuel storage, handling, transport,issues. But this is the construction scene. Todays construction business climate has to deal with ULSD (Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel) by LAW! Even engine oils have changed formulas. Clean Air is what it is all about, regardless of the the past. Small scale operators should, just send waste oil to recyclers as a practical matter. And Buy Clean Fuel . The previous poster; AKA Northart

  17. #17sheepfoot2008-03-12 22:32

    waste oil mix I have heard this from a lot of operators over my past 35 years , but i would never do it , all shops i have worked in since 1978 have had a clean burn heating systems, thats the real savings during winter months, there is enough problems in the fuel systems already with out adding to them at $500.00 to $2500.00 in repairs due to water and dirty fuel along with down time of the truck/equipment, this is not a third world jungle yet where multi/fuel military trucks rome.

  18. #18OzDozer2008-03-12 23:04

    I am talking of the early 1930's when the Cat diesel was first introduced, and operators and owners were completely unaware of the requirements for extreme cleanliness for diesel, as compared to gasoline. By "open containers", I meant that people were not conscientious enough to secure containers after opening. This was in the days when the largest amount of fuel came in 4 gallon cans and 55 gallon drums. Even nowadays, if I attend auctions, and buy fuel or oil offered, in containers .. I usually find upon inspection, that that fuel or oil offered, is contaminated by someone having left the containers open to the weather. I saw not only a "more bang for the buck" idea in the original posters question .. but also a way to get away from the pain of PAYING for waste oil recycling. I was stunned to find recently, that I got hit with a sizeable bill for waste oil collection .. as compared to originally being paid for the oil .. then the collection later just becoming a no-cost collection. Apparently, the oil recycling business in in deep trouble, as their storage systems are full, and no-one wants recycled oil. I was under the erroneous impression that waste oil had a ready market as bunker oil for ships .. but apparently more and more ships are becoming diesel powered, and the bunker oil market is falling rapidly. I don't know what will happen when we end up with a massive glut of recycled waste oil, it seems an oddity in a world that is currently paying US$110 a barrel for oil, and everyone is fighting for a share of a limited and declining resource.

  19. #19Dwan Hall2008-03-12 23:47

    I have a waste oil furnace to heat my shop. It will also burn #1 or #2 if needed. (anything between ATF and 55 weight). I had to get a DEC certificate to alow me to transport used oil to my shop.I can now accept used oil from known sources as long as I keep a long list of records as to ware it came from, how much, and when. I burn about 1000 gal a year for heat and charge customers $1.00 for disposal. When burning waste oil my furnace runs less then 1/2 the time it does when heating with #2. Which tells me there is a lot more heat in oil then diesel. on the other side I have to clean out the inside of the furnace twice a year when using waste oil compared to never when burning only #2. That said I would never run waste oil in any motor unless it was a mater of life or death.

  20. #20OzDozer2008-03-13 00:25

    The following website gives out useful advice regarding waste oil useage .. and I quote from the site (under "blending" heading) .. http://www.greentruck.com/waste/oil/1303.html

  21. #21Twisted2008-03-13 07:46

    A large trucking company here used to burn their used oil in the trucks until the government caught wind of it. Long story short, they didn't pay road tax on that oil so it was tax evasion.

  22. #22tuney4432008-03-13 08:30

    I believe you, but that makes no sense, as you don't pay road tax on store bought fuel additives either.As far as I know,people brewing their own bio-diesel don't have to pay road tax---YET.

  23. #23Phil2008-03-19 05:52

    Some info on this forum if you do a search. Phil http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=cfrm&s=447609751