I am looking at buying a used skid steer for the farm (used for clearing some land, moving wood, dirt, etc.) I have never owned/used one before. I figure about 50-60 hp. What brand/s should I look at. More importantly what brand/s should I avoid. I understand that I will have to work on a used machine more so parts availability will be an issue. Thanks for any information in advance.
I would suggest you find out what you have for dealer network in your area. Having said that a track machine is more productive but has higher operation cost. if you find a used track machine with a fresh undercarage figure on getting 600~1200 hour max if it needs tracks put side roughly $3000 for most machines with 13" wide tracks and more money for 18"+ wide tracks.
I bought mine for farm use too. We live on a very hilly farm and stability is an issue. If that is your situation, my understanding is that Deere and NH are the most stable, they are designed with a 60/40 weight balance whereas I've read most others are 70/30, which makes them tippy going uphill without a load. A tracked machine (CTL) will be more stable but is more expensive to purchase and more expensive to maintain. There are lots of expensive parts to wear out in the undercarriage on a tracked machine, not much to wear on a wheeled machine other than the tires. I put OTT tracks on my wheeled machine (JD325), they improve the stability in general (more weight down low) and performance in soft ground. Find a dealer who will let you try out the machine on your farm. I had two demo machines here plus an offer for a third. Or rent one for a couple of days and get some real seat time so that you have a better idea how it fits into your needs. Ken
I am looking at a 1988 Bobcat 843 for my country property. Its $6500 and looks in decent shape, except it needs a new seat, hour meter and it creeps forward slowly. Thoughts?
donald73d stay away. 843 were junk when new try newholland better lifting ,good machine don;t even think cat or jd good luck
choices When I look in the local rags, what is for sale is mostly Bobcat brand skid steers. They cannot be that bad if there are that many out there. (Near Albany NY).
Donald73d, the 843's were not junk . I have put many hours on a Perkins powered 843 and they were very reliable machines. The joke we have is Bobcat quit making them because they wouldn't wear out.:cool2 Currently running T250's, S300, S250 and an 863 - the 843 is probably more machine (dependability wise) than what we are running now. The only concern I would have is knowing exactly how many hours are on the machine since the hour meter is not working. Do you have a skid steer mechanic locally that can check it out for you? On edit - The creeping forward is more than likely the steering linkage under the seat is wore out. Willie has a great thread on replacing these parts. Welcome to the Forums Donald73d! :drinkup
try finding a Case 1845 C
I have a case 1845c. It's all hand controled unlike the bobcat where you have hand an foot control everyone has their own preferece. I just never could get use to the foot controls on the bobcat.
Welcome to the Forums Mouseman!:drinkup The 1845C's are also a legend in the skidsteer world. I don't have any first hand operating experience on them but know of several folks that got a lot of good hours out of them. Yeah, it's a preference on controls - as are all machines. I first learned on Bobcat and that's what I like to run. The joystick control skids make me look like a rookie.
What would be a good private sale price for a 1988 Bobcat 843 that needs a seat, hour meter and the crawling fixed. Includes bucket.
If you go for an 1845 make sure you check the upper back frame/tanks for cracks (where the lift arms pivot) the older ones tend to crack there and then get water in the hydraulic and fuel tanks
I would say between $5,500 to $6500 depending on the condition of the machine. Here are some auction and retail for sale prices - http://www.machinerytrader.com/list...BOBCAT&mdlx=exact&bcatid=4&Thumbs=1&scf=false You can find an aftermarket seat and hour meter. I would budget $500 to $800 to fix the linkage depending on whether or not you hire it out or do it yourself. Bobcat parts are pricey at the dealer and I am not sure if you can get the linkage parts anywhere else. Another member may know of a better source. I'd still be cautious of a machine with a broken hour meter. Find out as much about it's history as you can and check it over very well, particularly the engine and hydraulic system. You may want to pull an oil and hydraulic sample and have it analyzed, your local Cat dealer should have a lab. The samples are not expensive, $20 or so per sample - cheap insurance.
really need to know your budget to help with the decision. track loaders you wont find for under 10k more than likely unless they are ragged wheeled machines can be had for 6-8k depending on what it is. the bobcat 753 comes to mind as a good all around machine thats not too big or small
763 and 773 would have a longer wheelbase than a 753. i always liked the little bigger size. we had a 743 bak in the day and it was a reliable machine. certain older gehl models were quite the rides.
I bought a 1845c and have been very happy with it just around the farm. In hot weather lately though it seems to lose hydraulic power to the wheels. As soon I can figure out how to start a new thread I'll start asking questions about that
I think that now you have 3 posts,you can start your own thread. However do a search of the forums first to see if someone else has had the same issue. You can search just the skid steer section of the forum.
I'm doing the same thing, trying to figure out what to buy as my first skid steer for personal use. Some very useful information here. Thanks.
I started with Bobcat and I owned a 610, 720, 743B, T200 (open cab) and T200 (cab air/Heat. The best one I ever owne was the 743B. It had a Kubota engine and never give me any problems. The only problem was that I overworked it and didn't mind pickinp up or moving anything I could grab. It would tip over easy, but if I had use it like it designed it would tip over. I had a large tooth bucket and I made a 6' stacking rake for it. I stuck it in the mud, I turn it over on it side, set back up with a backhoe and let sit for the oil to settle down and kept on running. It was the best bobcat ever made and I didn't pay but $6000. for it. I would buy a brand new right now if Melroe made it. The 843 was the same machine just a little bigger and had a perkins engine. They don't have all that hi tech stuff on it. Its simple to work on and you ain't got all the banjo work as my daddy use to call it. Good Luck Bubba
Used machines in this part of the country, below 6000.00 don't offer to much,machines that are older than 1985 also be aware, machines with ove 5000 hrs could also be a bag of problems. bobcat 6,7,and 800 series machine, case 1800 series, john deere and new holland are prety good starter macines. rental companies are a good sourse for used skid steers. equipment dealers are also a good source for trade in machines I would take a mechanic along for the test ride. For about $100.00, the machine will get checked out operational wise, and will be money well spent try to run the machine for an hour if you can. also make sure the tires are about even on the tread. You can buy a nice used one for 7, or 8 thousand, late 1990, arround 3500 hours. take your time don't rush. there are some good buys out there right now. but if Obama gets the jobs plan thru all the used equipment will disapear overnight
Can someone help me post a thread We need a skid steer for massive tornado damage to trees large area. We are looking at Kubota SLV95, John Deere 331G, and others. A guy came out and did work with a 331G, that's kind of why we think we need 90+hp We are comparing new to used, of course, used wb preferred, but scared to have mechanical issues. Need any and all advice...been through so muchTIA