Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Using a Grain Truck as a Dump Truck

ScottNC · 2019-07-08 08:58

I have a short term need for a dump truck to haul a mix of dirt and shale rock as well as crusher-run gravel. The shale rock is five miles away, the gravel is twenty minutes, not sure the mileage. Found a shed kept '68 C50, 350cu.in., four speed w/2spd axle in real nice condition inside and out. It has new tires but I did not think to look at the rating, good brakes, large diameter, single cylinder lift and a 14' metal grain bed that pivots at the rear. Everything works, lights, wipers, gauges, emergency brake, windows roll up and down, just a real nice old truck with a so-so older paint job. Grain sides are four feet and near new, these would likely need to be swapped for 2X10 or 12 side boards and a lift-out tailgate. The current owner is the trucks second owner. It looks like when the truck was new the frame was stretched to accomidate the bed length/rear pivot. The engine is a Jasper rebuild out of a '69 or so pick-up - it likely has a bit too much compression for a high GVW truck but that is only a guess, the owner runs mid-grade fuel in it. I live in a large agricultural area where soybeans, wheat and corn is grown so the plan would be to use the truck and resell in a season or so. Should be able to avoid needing a CDL class B license, in NC one is needed for 26K and above. I think the owner said the truck GVW is 24K. In searching the topic of using a grain truck for a dump truck most comments were of the lack of economic advantage over hiring a real dump truck and operator because of tags, insurance, and poor fuel mileage. And that generally, grain trucks were not intended to be dump trucks having thinner beds, inappropriate side boards for stone, no tailgate, lower max height bed lift, lighter axles, etc. Others say that for limited use and keeping the limitations of the truck in mind it is doable. Question is, is it a fools errand?

Replies6
  1. #1colson042019-07-08 11:48

    Well, I've done it before. I agree that a grain truck is not ideal for hauling gravel, but if it's what you have, it'll make due for light duty use. But, I already had the grain truck and didn't have to buy it first. That said, if you're going to have to buy the truck, and hauling gravel is your only job, look a little longer for a dump truck set up for gravel. Old municipal trucks are fairly cheap and there are plenty around. And a pretty strong resale market too.

  2. #2pushbroom2019-07-08 12:11

    I have done it aswell, but that becuase I already had multiple grain trucks. Pulled out the removable tailgate and only put in a small amout of dirt or gravel, barely up the sideboards. Yes it works, but it isnt efficent by any means. Grain bodys are built to be light and not stand up to heavy loads of dirt or gravel. Id keep looking for another truck if i was you. If you have a deisel truck, why not a pull behind dump trailer?

  3. #3Old Doug2019-07-08 21:25

    How much? I would bet its going to need some work when you get to using it. I have a 64 ford F600 that i haul a lot of gravel with and scrap iron. It has a wood floor and its wearing it like a rasp. Dump trucks need dump truck insurance flatbeds dont. I have seen alot of good cheap grain trucks that are in ok shape cheap i havent saw a cheap dump truck in good shape and most small dump trucks have beds just bigger than a pickup a small grain bed can haul alot of other stuff. The only thing i dont like about my grain truck is no teil gate to spread gravel.

  4. #4ScottNC2019-07-09 07:16

    $3K. The hydraulic pump needs a PTO shaft seal. Right side valve cover is leaking. Good exhaust but for the right side exhaust manifold to lead-down pipe dounut leaking. As far as I could tell everything works. Even has LED brake lights. Thirty gallon saddle tank added to the behind the seat unit. No rust in the floors or rocker boxes, just a bit in the front fenders where they turn down at the back, it's a very common rust area on this generation truck. Glass is intact. Wipers, horn, gauges all good. Speedo is about ten MPH slow. Steel bed, solid, no dents, no rust. The front of the bed, whatever that part is called that stands up at the back of the cab is steel as well.

  5. #5Tags2019-07-09 07:25

    I’m not sure how it is where you are, or what your need for the gravel and shale rock for, but it seems like $3000 would go pretty far in hiring a tri-axle for a couple of days. It’s not a big deal to find someone around here to haul material for a couple of days, but it may be different where you are… It also seems like you’ll only be able to haul 5 or 6 yards of material at a clip compared to a tri-axle that probably will be able to haul 18 to 20 yards per trip. If you hired someone to haul for you there would be be no insurance, no repairs, no tickets…

  6. #6ScottNC2019-07-09 15:19

    After looking into tags and insurance then quizzing a neighboring chicken farmer who just happens to have a tandem... the Big Truck purchase has been scuttled. I can rent the neighbor and his truck for sixteen hours for the cost of tags and six months of liability insurance. In fact, the neighbor said if all I was looking to do was save a buck, just come get my truck and use it. Thanks for the insights and opinions!