Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Using rear backhoe tires with differently worn treads – is it a mistake??

rdavison39 ยท 2015-08-31 10:29

I punctured my tire this weekend on my case580k back tire (17.5 x 24). The tire shop said it couldn't be repaired and that I'd need a new one. They also said that it would not be advisable to run the machine with one new tire and one old tire because the new tire would grip much better and could ruin the differential/gear box. Is this true? Or are they just trying to get me to buy 2 new tires ($599 CAD each!!!!) Thanks for any advice or insight. I'm in the process of trying to find a used tire but they seem hard to come by.... Ron

Replies10
  1. #1Dirtdauber2015-08-31 13:21

    I was in a similar situation a few months ago. Ended up buying a new set, then sold my remaining good one for nearly half the cost of one of the new ones.

  2. #2Delmer2015-08-31 13:30

    Yeah, and don't ever take it off road or turn sharp corners under load either I might think about replacing both if you did a lot of road miles, but even then I don't think it would bother me to run one old one.

  3. #3fixou8122015-08-31 13:42

    An easy check would be if you wrapped a string around both tires and marked it.

  4. #4hosspuller2015-08-31 13:57

    If the difference between a worn and new tire will destroy a differential ... The design is faulty. A vehicle is expected to make turns and have different travel distances between the wheels. Tell me otherwise or I call BS on the tire shop. :Banghead

  5. #5bteigrob2015-08-31 14:52

    Yeah I think it is the differentials job to correct that. Probably wouldnt run it in the diff lock if the machine is equipped with one.

  6. #6lumberjack2015-08-31 17:25

    I wouldn't run the diff lock on dry pavement at least.... the rest of it is bupkis.

  7. #7Dirtdauber2015-08-31 17:46

    I didn't replace both because I was worried about tearing anything up, to me it's about maintaining the value of my machine. I may sell my machine when I get a little more work done with it around the farm and if I do, a new set of rear tires will be a big plus. Also, usable rear takeoffs are easy to sell and bring a good price. In the same situation, I would do it again.

  8. #8Rob Gunn2015-09-01 15:56

    I think your tire guy is just trying to get into your pocket. I may be wrong but a differentials job is to compensate for wheel travel is it not? You turn left, the right wheel travels a whole lot more than the left. You turn right, the left wheel travels a lot more. What does it matter if the circumference of the wheel is a little different? I do agree that I would not ever lock in a div lock, especially on dry pavement. If I am wrong I would sure like to hear a good explanation from other out on the form.

  9. #9dbohann2015-09-02 22:41

    Only time I really ever use diff lock is if Im stuck. Never had the need to use it for any other reason. But I see no reason to replace both tires for the reason stated above. The differential accommodates for the difference in tires wear.

  10. #10stumpjumper832015-09-03 06:09

    I doubt that you will damage your diff by doing this but there may be other issues... First one that comes to mind is loader level. By that I mean the loader is hooked to the chassis and if the rear tires are not the same diameter the loader will not set level without being compensated for - usualy done with tire pressure. I could see in an extreme example that you could not level the bucket without taking too much from the high tire.