Hello all, I found a 1885 Ford C-800 Marmon-Herrington 4x4 Digger Derek truck. Runs great with a rebuilt 8.2 DD turbo. Old farmer gave it to us for our farm. Looking at painting the exterior and would like to see what recommendations you all have for prep and paint brand to use. I was looking at what they have to offer at Tractor supply. I have a hot water steam cleaner that I have used to get a lot of the old paint off of it. There is a ton of rust that I want to cover up and protect the metal. Not looking for anything perfect. The family and kids love the truck so we want to clean it up. I would prefer to keep the costs down and to not spray. I have sprayed my number of cars and regardless of respirator it gets in so I prefer hand applying. Let me know if there is any type of product you prefer? And what prep methods work best? Thanks, -Jay
I would steam clean it really well. the main thing is to make sure you get off all the flaking paint and then you got to make the surface clean enough so that you have good adhesion. I like the Vansickle "tractor" paint that My local tractor supply has. it is durable and sets up really well. If you don't mind the brush marks then get whatever color you want and get to it. regardless of what paint you use or what method you do post up some more pictures of that beautiful machine. I really like the way it looks I bet it is a really capable truck. Good luck.
Stout looking rig.
Currently, paint is stupid expensive and hard to get. I’d go with a epoxy primer to cover your rust repairs. Then, maybe a one-stage alkyd enamel with a hardener. Or, a silicone alkyd enamel like Sherwin-Williams steel master 9500. The 9500 applies with a brush, good. I’ve used it on tanks and pipework. Holds gloss good and no hardener to mix.