My 7k lb utility trailer is in need of some TLC. Looking like I'm going to have to rebushing the suspension. Any pluses or minuses to switching over to bronze bushings from the original plastic ones? Its not like I abuse, overload or head off highway with it but it does see a couple thousand kilometers a year on average.
Are the bronze greaseable or dry type? Probably make no difference.
Dry. I don't see any way to really make them greasable without a lot of extra work. Looks like it's just a 1/2" or 9/16" bolt that runs through them.
Its a special bolt it fits tight in the shackles and bracket with the thread starting just outside the shackles/brackets.
Local auto parts store got me brass bushings and bolts with grease fittings. Should be in later today. $200 for 14 greasable bolts, 14 nuts, 14 bushings, 4 hub seals and 4 dust caps.
Greaseable shackle bolts are great and do last longer but if you dont grease them often they quit taking grease, in my experience at least. But even if that happens youll still be better off with the brass bushings.
If those quit taking grease, just heat opposite end couple grease on and it will push through. I made, drilled shackle bolts for my jeep.
I have to do the same thing to the car trailer we got. Thats probably tomarrow nights job got a kit with all the pins and equalizer. 250 shecals
If I'd have used mine any longer I would have needed the equalizers too.
Greasing is one thing I never skimp on. I blame my dad for making me grease his truck every weekend lol.
They came in the kit it has the fitting on it instead of the pin
Good deal, I'm going to reuse my shackles. I found a bunch of kits like that on Amazon but with a 2 week wait I'm glad I went to the local store. I'm going to start piecing mine back together after dinner. Finish the rest off tomorrow since it's a holiday.
Suspension is done. It's over 10 years old and surprisingly it came apart with no problems and it has seen a handful of winter trips in its life. Repacked the wheel bearings on one side as well. Enough for today, I'll do the other 2 hubs this weekend.