Hey guys, just joined the forum today to ask a question about one of my vac trucks. What should be the idle speed when the PTO is kicked on for the vacuum pump? My truck is only running at 900 RPM when I turn on the PTO. I think that is what's causing my pumping problems. When trying to pump with the truck, it wont suck any liquid unless I pull the hose out of the liquid and drop it back in and you have to keep doing that to get it to pump anything. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. Thanks.
While I'm not a vac truck expert, I do own several blower trucks that run off similar systems. Typical PTO configuration is 8 bolt continuous use heavy duty units. All my trucks are dual PTO set ups. When turned on, idle of truck stays 750-800 rpm depending on motor. While blowing, but vac, pumper & conveyor trucks are all very similar the rpm increases to 1600-1850. This is programmed into the ecm as maximum PTO rpm of truck. Using Hetronic remote controls, when turning on blower system the rpm increases from idle to max rpm setting in the ecm. Without more details, I'd say the settings specific to the system on the vac are wrong or the ecm max allowable PTO speed should be re-set. Anyone else feel free to chime in as I'm not the number one expert here, just knowledgable on blowers.
Average speed for most vacuum pumps is 1000 to 1175 RPM. What is the brand and size of your pump?( Wallenstein, Moro, Demag, Challenger, Mosport) The manufacturer will have a recommended speed. Get this info and i might be able to help. We run, fix and build them all the way from portable toilet trucks to hydro vac trucks.:thumbsup
Your trucks not running high enough to build enough pressure to suck liquid, things you can do is make sure the hose can breathe, tie a rope to the end and hold the end half in. You can put holes in your suction hose to allow it to breathe. If you trucks idle speed is set, it’s because that’s all the power the pumps on your truck are capable of handling.
9 year old thread?
Hahaha I’ve only just found forums with people talking about vac trucks. Got a little excited, sorry champ
That’s a decade old post, Jeswar. I don’t think anyone is paying attention or still alive. Head over to the new member thread and tell us about yourself. Welcome to the HEF. Let’s chat about vac trucks.
Start a new thread, and tell me about vac trucks. I’ve been asked by a couple of new clients to inspect their DOT412’s and I’m not familiar with them.
The hydrovacs I mostly worked on had a drop box after the transmission that powered the blower. If you didn't open the valve to vent the tank when starting or stopping the blower it was very hard on clutches. Pulled a few that got so warped they wouldn't disengage. Could set those clutch discs on a flat bench and the outside lip of the friction plates would be about 2" higher than at the hub! Intermediate plate came out in nearly 2 or 3 pieces on a couple of them.
Not a good way to join a forum referring to someone as champ.
In the land down unda, it’s a term of endearment. It’s all about the context. But, yeah, when I was in the pen serving a nickel, that would get you *** kicked.
Buddy is another one or boss. Usually people that use these terms are not people you particularly like.
I'm not your buddy guy
Way to treat a new member guys... kudos..