Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

VALVE ADJUSTMENT FPT F4GE 6.7

Anthony Sr. · 2025-03-14 14:02

Ok I am in need of some help here, I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong. I am trying to set the valves on this iveco 6.7 engine and not coming out right. Ok so I barred the engine over and set timing pin and checked all marks on gears and all in place, set it at TDC and began adjustment but when I rotate 360degrees to adjust the rest, I am not able to do so because exhaust 2 and intake 3 are not loose. If I turn it to loosen them up then it’s all out of wack. I know I’m screwing up somewhere...Help please

Replies11
  1. #1Vetech632025-03-14 14:06

    Are you turning the engine one round, or 2?

  2. #2Anthony Sr.2025-03-14 14:06

    1

  3. #3Anthony Sr.2025-03-14 14:08

    Also i just realized the engine is a tier 3 not tier 2 so I don't know if that will make a difference

  4. #4Vetech632025-03-14 14:09

    If you are pinning the engine at TDC (#1 TDC I presume) and the marks are lined up from the start, you will have to ignore those timing marks once you roll the engine. They will not line back up since the fuel injector pump and the cam rotate twice what the crankshaft rotates. Do you have instructions for valve adjustment for this engine? Dammit my thinking is backwards. the cam and injector pump turn half of the crank

  5. #5Anthony Sr.2025-03-14 14:13

    Negative

  6. #6Vetech632025-03-14 14:15

    OK then. Pin the engine and do your loose valves adjustment. Remove the pin and go exactly 1 full revolution on the crankshaft........then adjust the other loose valves. Ignore the timing marks after the initial pinning. After you believe you have it.........turn the engine over by hand 2 full crankshaft revolutions. This makes sure you don't have any interference from a piston hitting a valve.

  7. #7Anthony Sr.2025-03-14 14:18

    I rotated 1 full revolution to adjust the rest, I am not able to do so because exhaust 2 and intake 3 are not loose.

  8. #8Vetech632025-03-14 14:20

    Can you post pics of the valvetrain?

  9. #9Vetech632025-03-14 14:22

    OK, you can do this the old fashioned way. One cylinder at a time......turn the engine until one valve (intake or exhaust) is fully depressed, then adjust the other. Use a paint pen or marker and mark the valve stem of the valve you adjusted so you know which have been done. Do this on each cylinder

  10. #10Anthony Sr.2025-03-14 14:22

    Coming in hot

  11. #11Anthony Sr.2025-03-14 15:29

    It worked thank you!