I adjusted valves on a Deutz F3L 2011 (in a genie articulating lift) today, though was thinking back through the process I used and am wondering if I screwed up. Basically, I rolled the engine over until the rocker arm I was checking was at the top of its travel and checked the gap. I didn't consider if it was a compression stroke or not so now I'm thinking I don't know where the pushrod was on the cam lobe and I may have given it an incorrect gap. Runs the same as before I adjusted valves, which is mostly fine. A little smokey on cold start up and belches out some smoke when it ramps up from 1500 to 2500 RPMs. I've never done valves before, so any recommendations would be appreciated. Do I need to start at TDC cylinder #1 and work through the firing order?
The manual probably says yes but I'm sure myself and countless others have done it by just watching the valves move for years without issue. If you are want to be sure you can set them and recheck TDC on cylinder 1 to see if your measurement changes
Makes sense, thanks