Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Valve Stem Replacement

AllDodge ยท 2017-06-07 14:02

Have a feeling I know the answer to this but; my backhoe is leaking air around the stem, the core is fine. It looks like the one in the pic except instead of a nut on the bottom, it is round and knurled like the middle and top. Tried grabbing the middle and the bottom with pliers and it springs back (rubber seal). Any tricks or does the wheel need to be broken down to replace?

Replies26
  1. #1Delmer2017-06-07 14:39

    You know that the knurled portion of the middle unscrews from the threaded part that goes through the rim, right? It sounds like you may be turning the nut, and holding the section that unscrews. You need to hold the threads if the stem slips when you turn the nut. Some have the nut like these that are knurled instead of hex, those you should be able to tighten with a pliers. If it's leaking from the junction of the knurled part and the bigger threaded part in this one, then you can get another valve stem and replace that section, there's an o- ring in there. You'll have to break the bead to pull the whole thing out, but that would be unusual for that part to leak unless it was loose, or obviously damaged.

  2. #2AllDodge2017-06-07 14:52

    I tried to tighten it but it springs back. My assumption is the rubber is dry and grabbing. What you think about loosing it it so I can put some soap under the ring and may be able to get some more torque. Had the hoe for several years and then one day it was about flat, and had not used it in several weeks

  3. #3kshansen2017-06-07 15:08

    Hard to say from here but I'm thinking the rubber grommet/seal is on the inside of the rim. As it is leaking bad right now I guess you could try to back off the nut and lubricate the seal and retighten it. Other wise I would be thinking about breaking down the bead on the outside to get access to the inside to be able to replace the complete stem.

  4. #4AllDodge2017-06-07 15:12

    What does it take to break the bead on a tire this size, or can it be done by something I have? Assuming break it while on the hoe. I have a 6K forklift, and various pry bars and other stuff

  5. #5Billrog2017-06-07 16:01

    Take it off and use the backhoe bucket or the stabilizer. When I did one I held the tire down with the stabilizer reached in and replaced it. Just remembered I cut the rubber off inside to remove the stem then stuck in the new one.

  6. #6AllDodge2017-06-07 16:05

    Guess the plan would be, raise the side needed to remove with out rigger. Block the hoe up and let hoe down on blocks. Remove tire and use outrigger to hold tire and boom bucket to break the bead Guess I can use the forklift to help move the tire around.

  7. #7Delmer2017-06-07 19:04

    The seal is inside, it doesn't need soap to tighten. I still don't think you're tightening it right. You need to grab those big threads with one small vice grips or needle nose to hold it from turning, and turn the nut with another pliers. If it springs back, I think you're turning the base, while holding the smaller threaded part that contains the valve stem. See the line under the CH3, that's where it unscrews (to add liquid ballast or fill the tire quicker). If the rubber is cracked inside you'll need a new valve stem. Leave the wheel on, lift it up with the stabilizer, deflate and remove the whole valve stem section, back the forklift up alongside, and use a high lift jack to break the bead. That's what I'd do. The bead might even pop off with some pry bars, but a jack works good. Push in one place, if it pops off, move six inches away and keep working a section till comes off the bead. Push the sidewall in over the stem to replace it.

  8. #8AllDodge2017-06-07 19:18

    Thanks, I loosened the lower piece, and there was nothing under it as Ksh mentioned. Lubed it a little and retightened, but do believe it needs replacing. Have ordered two new ones. Will give your method a try before I try to remove the tire (way to heavy to move around for this old guy). Have seen several threads on using a jack to break the bead

  9. #9fast_st2017-06-08 06:46

    I put a 4' 4x4 in the bucket and use the bucket to push the tire off the bead. Should be able to get to the stem without trouble, leave the tire on the wheel and just push it out of the way. Machine has hydraulics up the wazoo, with the wheel still mounted on the machine, you have a few options. Plus they do not have the DOT bead retainer like a car tire, so it'll push off pretty easy if its not all rusted up.

  10. #10joe--h2017-06-08 12:10

    Just drive with no air in tire, it'll pop off the bead in a few feet. Joe H

  11. #11kshansen2017-06-08 12:16

    That might work, but with my luck one of two things would happen. 1 The wrong bead will pop off 2 The bead will pop off 6 inches beyond the reach of my air hose!

  12. #12AllDodge2017-06-08 13:10

    Did wonder if I could do it that way, I'm waiting for the valve stem to come in before trying. I like the idea, but This would be my luck

  13. #13fast_st2017-06-08 21:15

    I had a pinched tube that took 10 years to spring a leak, I used a 4x4 in a bucket to pop the outer bead and then took the same 4x4 and a 2x4 scrap, chain the free end to the bucket and pull to pop the inner bead, then the tire and tube came right off.

  14. #14NH575E2017-06-08 22:47

    I had a new tire installed and the guy had me lift the machine with the stabilizer and break the bead with the backhoe bucket. He didn't choc it but should have. After several failed attempts to get the bead on the new tire to seat he gave up and installed a tube. Next day the tire was flat. He returned and pulled the tube to find it was separated around the stem. He claimed it was a defective tube but I think he tore it when he did the install. Either way he went back after the tubeless method. He worked on it for a couple of hours and finally had to pack the void with tire grease and blow it all over himself and everywhere else with the bead seating tank. It was kind of comical to watch. He graciously didn't charge me for the stem but he didn't give me a refund on the tube I paid for either. I felt sorry for the guy so I didn't say anything. His initial price on the tire and install was pretty reasonable.

  15. #15Brodiesel2017-06-08 23:47

    SLIME!!!

  16. #16AllDodge2017-06-09 07:21

    Hope I don't need a bead seat tank (don't have one)

  17. #17NH575E2017-06-10 09:25

    If it was me I would try to loosen or remove the nut and put some sealer or a washer and rubber gasket on the outside and retighten it.

  18. #18AllDodge2017-06-14 10:35

    Oh well, good news and also some bad news. Have the valve steams and broke the bead, but.... it has a tube in it. So called the local tire place and they will be out this afternoon to fix it

  19. #19kshansen2017-06-14 10:48

    Well at least you know now trying to seal up the leak was not going to work.

  20. #20AllDodge2017-06-14 10:56

    Yep'er

  21. #21Dickjr.2017-06-14 22:14

    I had a hole in my rear tire on my 416. I plugged it , worked it for a couple years had to redo it ever so often. I did a job for a guy that does tire repair. It went down while working for him , one evening he fixed it. Broke the outer bead put a boot type plug in it charged me 30$. I asked him if that was a favor price or normal , he said if he had to drive out to it it would be 75$. It has not leaked in that spot since.

  22. #22AllDodge2017-06-15 07:27

    They made it out and pulled the tube out. The tube was wrinkled and thought it was to big, but it was not, the 19.5x24 was stamped. Decided to put a new tube in. The whole job took about 30 minutes and cost $90, not bad. There truck had broke down so they put it on a trailer and hauled it with another on

  23. #23Tinkerer2017-06-15 09:30

    I haven't repaired a tire with a tube in it for a lot of years. But, when I did I always inflated the tube before putting outer tire bead back on. Never ever had a wrinkle or pinched tube. If anyone is wondering, yes I deflated the tube before putting the bead back on.

  24. #24AllDodge2017-06-15 09:40

    This hoe is what I would have called a hanger queen. It was one of several used during the work on the dam on lake Cumberland. It has 4 different brand tires on it and look a little rough. The rims look, and the one in question looked good on the inside. My guess is the tire had issues so they put a tube in it by someone not knowing or caring to do it right. If I ever need a new tire I'll leave the tube out

  25. #25kshansen2017-06-15 14:21

    Any time I install a tire with a tube, usually it's a small one on an old motorcycle, I inflate it slightly before putting it in the tire. Then once the tire is inflated and bead is seated I deflate the tube completely and let it set a few seconds then re-inflate. Figure this lets the tube relax and position its self to help avoid wrinkles. One other thing forgot to mention if it's handy I put a little talc powered in the tire or on the tube to act as a dry lube to let it slide into its preferred position.

  26. #26Ronsii2017-06-15 20:49

    Funny you mention using talc, I always use it ever since I remember seeing a tire guy do it when I was a kid... but nowadays whenever I see tire guys putting tubes in they never use talc and half the time the tire still has gunk and much in it!!!