Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Vermeer CX224 ign switch

Tony Wells ยท 2020-05-06 18:26

Working on a Vermeer CX 224 excavator, aka Scat Trak 530 I believe. Long story short, bought, serviced, put up for sale. Buyer comes along and apparently we have lost the key. Local locksmith hand made a key that sort of works, but was not a perfect match, so took a little more effort than normal to turn (turn, push to crank then release back to run. Worked a few times then became impossible to turn. Back to locksmith where they opened up the switch end and found a silver contact lose in that cavity, jamming things up. Odd stuff on keys and switches on this machine. Our local dealer says they can't/don't sell precut keys outright. A new switch assembly comes with a single key....a blank. Not really sure what they intend a tech to do with that. At any rate, my switch is bad due to the loose contact so Instead of getting a factory switch and fighting to get it cut, I'm opting to put a NAPA universal switch on it. Problem is, the terminals on the Italian switch are simply numbered, not function identified. The dealer said the quality of his schematic was so poor he didn't think it usable. Soooo....I'm hunting a schematic. Pertinent information in pic below: Anyone out there familiar with these little beasties?

Replies3
  1. #1tool_king2020-05-10 18:55

    Let me see what I have for it .

  2. #2Tony Wells2020-05-14 19:06

    tool_king, I appreciate it, but we can call off the dogs. I ended up doing it the hard way. Since the now destroyed switch provided no clues, so I had to just trace out the connections. A standard generic ignition switch was able to provide the needed functions. It took a while, with some aggravation on my part, but it's "repaired" and sold. And picked up. But again, I thank you.

  3. #3Tony Wells2020-05-14 20:48

    I would add, just for conversation, I had just buttoned it up for the last time after staying late and was headed out the gate as the last man out when the prospective buyer showed up at the gate. Turns out that, unbeknownst to me, a buyer was scheduled to meet the sales rep for an inspection. Irked me a bit not to be informed, in view of the fact that I was the only one who knew it was actually fixed and ready to be shown. I stuck around to answer any questions if needed, and the machine was sold.