What kind of mechanism can I use to lift concrete pipes (standing on end) so that can manoeuvre them and lowering them (vertically again) into a hole onto a concrete base? Cannot use slings cos of pipes needing to be kept upright all the time and there is no play for the slightest tilt or space inside the hole and between the pipe to work in. Hooked slings WOULD have worked if the pipes were to rest on blocks at the bottom of the holes, but unfortunately they have to be set down directly on the concrete base, which makes that a void option. What I need is something to grip the pipes at the top edges or from the inside. The pipes weighs about a ton each and I would be using a backhoe loader for the manoeuvring. All I need is a way to grip them. Any ideas?
whats the id of the shafting
ive seen internal lifting clamps for manhole shafting on 60" shafting. maybe in your case you could anchor lifting eyes and use a 4 way sling
How about using two slings wrapped around the top 1/3 of the pipe. Using two one on each side of pipe , you can hang the pipe straight up and down.
I was going to suggest that. If they're going to rest with the bell end up, you might even be able to put your slings closer to the top. (I'm thinking of nylon slings, as opposed to wire rope slings.)
Xcvator... Internal lifting clamps is what I need but dont have. You mentioned lifting eyes, but where and how to I affix them? The pipes are for manhole shafting, just wasn't sure how to call it. You use different terms than we do here for the same things. As for ID, thats 40" with the biggest ones having a length of almost 6'. Steel-reinforced concrete. Digdug and digger242j... No chance of the slings slipping, due to the extreme weight? I'll try the slings today if I get the chance, just lifting it off the ground and setting it down again. Its the first project like this I'll be working on and need to be sure bout the risks cos aside from damage, there will also be guys working on the ground and in the sewage trenches. Thanks for the help.
Are there holes in the barrels. Most manhole barrels have about an inch and a half holes in them for pins to go though. Should be one each side about halfway down. You just grout them up when done.
Is it pipe or well liner??. For wells we use Swift Lifts, which are a special dog which clips into a small mushroom head pin cast in the concrete. If the manufacturer didn't put swift lift pins they normally put steel D rings for slings or chains. Another way is to drill 3/4 holes on the diameter and drive a piece of 3/4" re-bar for slings...time consuming. The big guys use hydraulic internal pad clamps (spreaders) for liners over 1200mm. It may be possible to hire from a concrete manufacturer but then you have all the setup on the Backhoe. Good Luck.
I'm sure if improperly applied, there is a chance of the slings slipping. Of course, I can wiggle out of taking the blame for that by saying that if they slip, you improperly applied them. I'd do it with confidence, although I'm not sure it would be approved by OSHA, or your local equivalent. Lash, the holes through the manhole barrells are a thing of the past around here. Nowadays, most have a threaded plug that you put a good sized bolt into, and lift in the same manner as you did with the pins. They're so paranoid about any extra groundwater getting into the sewage system, that they want to be good and sure that the manholes are water tight. They vacuum test them, and if they don't hold vacuum, you fail...
sABERWOlf - if you use some 2" NYLON straps that are marked safe for the weight or more you should have no problem. The heavier the object the tighter the sling will grip. Do not use wire cable or chain.
I do have straps that should be able to handle the load but my boss decided its too risky and have asked an engineer friend of his to make some kind of "spreader" as Squizzy calls them. The pipes are solid pipes with no eye-bolt holes or brackets of any kind, so fixing straps or chains that way is out of the question. Bout the vacuum testing thing... I dunno bout that. Maybe they do that here, maybe not. Like I said, its the first time for me to deal with this kind of job, so I cant say what the deal is with that. Thanks for the help anyway. Will let you all know what happens with the spreader mechanism when the time comes. Might even take pictures for you if I get the chance (AND remember).
we still have the old pickholes around here, although i saw one company that just has two lugs sticking out for you to pick from but i dont like that system, you cant setup a manhole with the top and set it as one. Only having two picking points if it gets too top heavy it could tip.
You didn't specifically say you were dealing with manhole sections, so I just threw that information in, since Lashlander brought it up. Are they manhole sections you're dealing with, or something else?
Pipe that will be used as manhole shafts, yeah.
Are you sure there is no way of lifting your manholes into place? I cant imagine they would manufacture something like that. Have they ben delivered on site yet? this is how we lift manholes around here. Put together a 20' deep one the other day.
The pipes (shafts) do NOT have any holes in the sides, so cannot use the pin and sling system you show there. However, the rings that come on top of the shafts do have those holes. The rings aren't a problem at all. They were delivered using your pin and sling method. The pipe sections though were offloaded with a spreader mechanism, which we dont have ourselves. Unfortunately. The engineer my boss spoke to is already busy with making a spreader system for us which we will use. If it works properly, I must add.
As you can see... Take a look at the pics of th pipe sections. You'll see the big ones dont have any hole or brackets, but on the rings you can clearly see them. Our lifting mechnism isn't ready yet so no pics of it.
Maybe your supplier would loan you the device that they unloaded them on your job site with? I know my suppliers have loaned us slings and stuff to move awkward pieces. doug
Manhole lifting clamp put, Manhole Lifting Clamp in Google. We have um You need um :Banghead I dont mind bringing a set over, just send a ticket.:cool2 DOH ! just looked at the post date. Did you get em in ?
We used to have a homemade device for lifting 24" concrete inlets We had a steel bar that sat across the top of the inlet then on the end of the bar there was a chain on both ends. I will call them chain 1 and chain 2. Both chains had slip hooks on the ends. You take chain 1 and wrap it around the inlet and and hook it around chain 2, then take chain 2 and wrap it around the inlet and hook it on chain 1. You just have to size the chain for the diameter of the inlets or sections that you are lifting. We had a D ring welded to the center of the bar for lifting with the machine. The is how most round septic tanks are lifted here in the area also. They just have a larger bar to go across the top and they use cable instead of chains.
DigDug & Digger do you read this and understand it to be what you were suggesting, but with slings. (which is how I would have ended up doing it ) Sounds good to me. Probably get away with it in UK if you could show paperwork for the beam, chains and hooks. I take it the hooks are the type that slip onto an individual link in the chain?
Vertical Drum Lifter Vertical Drum Lifters available at cheap price at www.ttclifting.co.uk . It helps to Lift, transport, and pour from open and closed head drum. Positive tilt lock on drum saddle to hold drum upright in transit.
Properly rigged, dry nylon straps ought to do fine. There is plenty of rigging reference material available to show the proper method, and so far as I know, no one has outlawed the practice that dates back to Noah and the Ark. DigDug is correct, the heavier the weight, the tighter the slings will hold.