In my quest to find a skid steer, I have some more questions. I understand what the difference is between the Radius and Vertical lift is, but do you think you lose any digging or power by going with a Vertical lift? If anyone has used both types of machines I would like to get some feedback. Talking to different salesman, they seem to tell me what I want to here about the machine they have on their lot.
The changes in geometry take place at about 3' and higher, above any level you'd be digging at. I don't think there should be any difference in digging power between the machines, I've got my bucket full by that point. I've used both types of machines, but they were of different brands, so can't really be compared. The radius lift dug better, but I attribute it to the manufacturer, not the lift design.
I spoke with Caterpillar today and they will be coming out with 2 new models in January. The 248B and I think the other one was a 268B, but I am not sure on that one. Both models will have advanced XPS High Flow Hydr. and the 2 speed standard. The XPS High Flow is suppose to be better than the standard high flow, but they started talking over my head. The 248B will be a Radius Lift and I think the 268B was going to be the Vertical Lift model. I am going to demo a Bobcat on Friday and probably wait for the new CATS to come out.
I talked to my salesman about that machine a few weeks ago. It will also have expanded accessory controllers to operate multi-function attachments too.
Steve can you give me an example of a Multi-Function accessory? As you can tell I am just trying to learn.
One example is the snowblower I have. It has a chute rotator, plus chute pitch adjustment, both are controlled by electrically activated solenoids. This would require 2 sets of auxillary control switches be available on the machine to run them, but my 248 only comes with one set. As a result, I must carry a third control lever with me to operate these functions. It would be much neater to operate these from the factory controls, as in the new "B" models.
Thank you Steve for the Explanation.
our bobcat s185 was a Vertical lift and our brand new m630 bobcat is a Radius Lift i liked the Vertical lift much better we lift a lot of heavy stuff with our pallet forks and our radius lift tips just befor the deck of our truck just what i have come across
The sight lines on radial lift machines tends to be better due to the simplicity of the loader design. On the multi function controls, I can operate up to 3 different hyd. fuctions from the control handles, nice when you need that kind of expandability. Not many attachments that require that snow blower, asphalt planer with hyd. side shift come to mind, but it sure is nice to have that capacity. Plug the attachment in everything is electric over hydraulic.
It seems you're buying new????? But 1 thing to watch with a second hand machine, is the pins & bushes. Obviously a vertical lift type is going to have a lot more of these (my Komatsu has 18 from memory) twice as many as a radius lift. So if the pins & bushes are flogged it'll cost you twice as much to repair. That aside I love the vertical lift!
if your working where there are overhead obstructions the vertical lift will hit alot earlyer then a radial due to how the boom
yep the vertical lift back arms go backwards as it lifts.... you can spin around all day long in an area with a radial lift... but take a vertical lift into the same spot.... doing the same thing... whoops! I hit the wall .... what the... I had been in there one hundred times... and of course it happened in an area where the concrete was exposed Dang scheduled maintenance...anyway... oil change due... use that loader for awhile...
Ouch! Good point.
old thread wonder if the guy has made a decision by now? lol the back of the arms will come forward as the boom goes up after it's about 3' high or so. becuase the bucket will lift in a VERTICAL line instead of a RADIUS (arch) we have both styles of machines but to put it in a nutshell, Radial machines; Are better digging and grading machines and the vertical machines; Are better "lift and carry" machines as CAT calls them, and tend to be a little light on the front end and proves to be a little more troublesome when grading, the CAT vertical's have a longer wheel base typically and tend to be a little "ass heavy" so they will be rated for another 2-400lbs for the same size machine, and lift a little higher, and will dump a little closer to center of a dumptruck cat machines .... for exapmle 246vs262 Pj