Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Vertical tree grab info

Rudolf73 ยท 2014-01-06 22:19

I have been looking around for info on a "vertical tree grab" but have been quite unsuccessful so far. We are looking at one for a 20t excavator and would like to "pluck" out smaller trees to reduce soil disturbance etc. The only name I have come across so far is Forest King but google can't help me with that either. Any help and or information would be appreciated. Cheers

Replies4
  1. #1mitch5042014-01-06 22:29

    with small trees and a 20-ton hoe, you can't just lean them over and grab them with a bucket and thumb?

  2. #2Rudolf732014-01-07 06:59

    Yes bucket and thumb would work, but from what I have seen the vertical plucking method is faster and you have better control/placement of the tree. I remember one operator saying that there is also a plate shear option available if you want the trees cut at ground level. The other thing is, thumbs are pretty rare in Australia. Operators prefer to just swap attachments on the hoe, bucket, grab, etc.

  3. #3ddigger2014-01-07 08:31

    I would opt for the thumb, and being a trend setter. You can still run a quick connect with a thumb.

  4. #4CM19952014-01-07 12:49

    Here's an older thread about the tree grabs, might be of information to you.