Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

vibrating PLATE COMPACTORS

mbavers · 2019-02-19 22:25

I want to buy a good one with reversing capability. Only one I am familiar with is Wacker Neuson. The features i want are reversing, rounded plate edge that won't groove too badly, and a large plate. I would appreciate any feedback by someone with experience. Not necessarily looking for cheapest, as I will have this for many years.

Replies4
  1. #1Vetech632019-02-20 07:13

    I have several contractors that have numerous different types and models of them. I don't (refuse) to repair them but I do see a lot of engine swaps on them. Most seem to be the same outside of the powerplants in which the Honda engines have been the most reliable that I have seen. The ones I hate the most are those jumping jack bastards. I had to run a Wisconsin-Robin one in the bottom of pipeline ditches when I was 17 years old. I don't know how many times that b*****d would get away from me and compact my foot into the dirt. Then trying to start that thing in the ditch, the 2 stroke engine would run just enough for the packer to extend like a hard-on and try to fall over on the unlevel ground in the ditch. AHHHH...….the memories!

  2. #2brianbulldozer2019-02-20 08:57

    I own several Webers, both gas and diesel and have had good luck with them. They all are basically on a suicide mission and eventually beat themselves to death. The large diesel is my favorite just for how hard it hits. I never worry about getting compaction if the 1200 lb. sled has gone over it a time or two. The only real issue I have had is with the Hatz diesel motor, I have had bad oil leaks (push rod tube seals), broken fuel tank mounts and have even broken the flywheel to crank bolts.

  3. #3mbavers2019-02-20 13:57

    Yeah, I've got no use for a jumping jack. Thanks.

  4. #4mbavers2019-02-20 13:58

    Thanks.