Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Vibromax AT60 Hatz Diesel Compactor – OLD – stopped running.

ploth ยท 2015-03-18 22:55

Second post in 2 minutes - this could be my new fav forum! Who'd have thought machine lovers online!! ok settled down now... I have an old (crank handle start) Hatz Diesel in a AT60 Vibromax compactor. It used to start quite easily - then one day it started speeding up & slowing down. It seemed to then only start / work with the 'choke' on, then a few days later it wouldn't start at all. Is there anyone out there that would be able to point me in the right direction? It seems to have compression (not tested with gauge though) and can still hear the 'squeak' of the injector when you turn over... Is it time for the tip or is it worth me pulling apart? It used to compact very well - we're missing the old girl!

Replies4
  1. #1Birken Vogt2015-03-18 23:35

    If it was mine, I would drop it off at a diesel injection shop. It sounds like the pump or injector to me.

  2. #2old-iron-habit2015-03-19 08:38

    This is a new one on me. How does a choke work on a Diesel? I know there is a lot of different stuff out there and always have a quest for knowledge.

  3. #3Delmer2015-03-19 12:09

    Timing and/or extra fuel is the "choke" on a diesel. I'd start with pulling the injector and seeing what the pattern is. You might as well do a compression test at that point, either cranking compression, leak down, or just blow some air and see where it leaks.

  4. #4ploth2015-03-20 00:02

    Thanks guys - yes there is a lever which I labelled the 'choke' as that's what it seems to do - but it is a mechanical lever that actuates something internally. I've never seen anything like it - though don't have much experience / knowledge with things diesel. I will put the injector and see what is happening...it seems the consensus is that it is a fuel issue? Anyone hazard a guess at the cost to fix if the injector pump is gone? Would it be worth fixing for an old machine like this?