Good Morning or Evening as the case may be. I got a call last night not to come in this morning due to the state inspectors being off for virus control. I asked how long and the best estimate presently is 2 weeks. I guess we are going to learn more today. I was then called in this morning to remove my machine and the support gear to our satellite yard for this project... Settle in ladies and gentlemen, I have an idea I won't be the only one effected in our industry. As we are a public works company we are mostly shutdown across the board as of this morning.
We have a project at a hospital (reroof) and I got a call yesterday (sunday) that it is postponed. I don't know for how long. We live in a tourist/lake resort area, and I think its going to be ugly this summer.
There was half the traffic on the way in this morning All schools statewide were closed by order of the governor as well as according to the news posting any public event of 50 or more to include birthday parties weddings and about any other thing. This is getting crazy
I work in a factory in Dayton, Ohio. Currently, schools, restaurants, bars, are shut down, groceries close early (but don't have much anyway), my factory is still open for now... This is crazy.
Same here. They are trying to get any Canadians out of the country to come home before they are forced to shut down the airports. Of course there are those that won't come until it's too late. Some countries have closed their airports and now everyone is crying for the government to come get them. Are the banks and credit card companies going to give people a break from paying bills while the are off work? It's not that the virus is so deadly, it's just that it can exist in healthy people and be passed onto those that are not. Keeping people away from each other can slow the spread. All this stuff that is being done now should have been done at the start, and would be over with by now
Our Governor just closed all restaurants and bars in the state. Fast food still ok so long as they use drive thru
My daughter works in a large hospital in the pharmacy. She does mostly the IT stuff, working with the robotic dispensers and such. She has the ability to work from home so they told her to stay home and work remotely, but if the hospital gets over run, she will be called in to work the pharmacy. Basically they are getting a second group ready.
Breaking news https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/cb...reening-trudeau-covid19-coronavirus-1.5498866 Canada closing borders to non-residents. I believe US citizens are exempt so far.
I think Mr Trump said last week that they didn't want to close the border to Canadians, but they were asking them to stay home
We are still open it’s gonna get real ugly when the supply chain is completely depleted of food, and I’m thinking that’s gonna happen this week. Just In Time it won’t be.
I too was shut down today. "until further notice." Who knows how long for. No one can afford to stay at home indefinitely....
Just when all this virus stuff was starting my job at the pulp mill was shut down . All thier control systems were hacked. Made for a complete uncontrolled shut down of 2 mills .3 weeks later they are still struggling to restart. And now we are all asked to stay home to prevent the spread,hope fully that helps.
Been trying to find a Wrench app for my phone so I can work from home... Aint happening.
Tech evolves every day.... keep looking
Was talking to.my salesman last Friday he had 4 deals put on hold last week had a pad job we were bidding for a custom home builder has gotten quiet on us
Loml was worried about meat as the stores were empty...told her its still rabbit season. She wasn't happy. Ed<-loves bbq'd bunny
Ain't this the truth..... the roads around here have probably had at least double the traffic on them with schools and a bunch of other stuff shut down!!! I see more motorcycle groups, trucks with boats behind them, etc.... all on a work/weekday.... it's almost like everybody is on a paid vacation...
That would explain the quads and dirt bikes headed to our dunes today.
Yep!!! If I didn't have to work I'd probably take my sled over to easton although my buddy said they had a lot of snow melt last few weeks
They were some that predicted all the jobs would eventually be taken over by robots. Hopefully this isn't fast forwarding that.
I used to enjoy late season slush rides, and jumping the thousand streams going northwest from Easton to Cabin Creek. My old 97 Summit had the skid frame tuned for lift when you punched it. Kinda sucked on hard pack trails cause the skis didn't touch... oh well, ride it like a bicycle.
Oh yeah!!! short sleeve weather my 04' rev800 loves to fly across water
With all the shut downs many states are not allowing for utility shut off's. So just need to keep the roof and food if need be
A little good news for us at least. It was decided this morning that we could return to work tomorrow. I assume that it was decided we have enough separation while on task.
Our whole shop crew got told to stay home due to the Wuehan flue and oil taking a dive. said if you can find other work go for it as this could be 2 weeks, 2 months or years, no one knows at this point
Far as I know we're going to keep working. If they tell us to go home, well I could use another vacation.
Our equipment is in demand, people are not going to stop eating so the fleet stays busy and work goes on.
Export hay has slowed some, so I'm not seeing as much truck traffic as usual. But i have 4 sets of trailers to go through brakes and lights without the rush factor.
Just got told today we're down to 40hrs, no OT but still chugging along. Sure we'll hear different soon. Financially stable, so I'm hoping for the two weeks off; Maybe I can finally get the turbo installed on my ol' 6.9idi amongst other projects.
Told everyone I know, not coming back to Washington state as planned this month nor next month to fix whatever or weld whatever, going to have to wait till possibly May.
Export market is way down here a friend told me that Saudi Arabia is sitting on a lot of hay from last year so they are only buying high test hay and since the farm like 15000 acres here locally themselves any of there own hay that doesn't test high enough will get sold locally
I just got home driving back from Spokane. If the amount of trucks on the interstate is any indication, toilet paper shortages are going to be the least of our worries. Diesel fuel at $2.14 a gallon was nice.
Retired so work wise, no effect on me. But the province is going all out. Declared a state of emergency today. everything is cancelled. Schools are done for the year No dentists, they all went to a dental conference and there was a carrier there so they are all in isolation. Now, I am asking myself, are dentist's not considered part of health care? Why the F would they go to a conference just when all of this is going on. 15,000 people were at it. I am trying to keep away from people, the social distance thing, my wife is at risk so I DO NOT want to bring anything home. I still need to go to the store at some point. Had to go today, this woman right behind at the til me was darn near on top of me, when I asked for some room I got the dagger eyes. So social distance is 2 meters (6 feet). If I can swing and pop someone in the nose because they are in my bubble is it still considered assault?
What a joke.... the economic hardship is gonna kill more than anything
Social di Social distance has always been around me long before this, my wife actively acts as barrier to put distance between me and others due to my PTSD from war.
Yea the medical aspects aside, this is going to kill (perhaps for a long time) what was such an excellent economy. Bankrupt businesses, large scale unemployment, damn almost hard to believe it could go from Chicken salad to Chicken **** so fast.
Never been a social creature or touchy feely kind of person. And I know your pain with the PTSD. Just heard a remark from a manager about me that prefer to sit in data centers away from people insinuating that I'm mad.
This is a situation that's been long in arriving, it has arrived and has come home to roost. Many books have been written about the impacts of such catastrophes, but people have a tendency to avoid reading about these matters. When the plague hit Europe in the middle ages whole towns and villages were burned to the ground to rid them of rats.
Don't hear anything out of North Korea. Either isolasionism is working for them, or they just shoot infected people.
people are so happy about the gas prices falling. So many people seem to think we can survive without the oil and gas sector, but they are going to find out that if the west goes down, so do the rest of us
This isn’t the plague IMO. It’s just another type of flu virus that just happens to be easily transmitted from person to person. People will contract it, get sick, recover, and life will go on just as it did before. Some people will not recover, but that’s the same as the flu season every year. Preliminary estimates for the 2919-2020 flu season are up to 55,000 deaths worldwide. Deaths from this virus are still under 10,000 although those numbers will obviously rise as time passes.
And as those most vulnerable are those over 70 and with respiratory problems I could see it having a serious effect on many on this forum. Just stop to think of all the dust ,welding fumes, solvent fumes and other things most of us have lived with on the job for decades! Any of you young guys have questions? Better get them in while us old farts are still here!
The comment about North Korea brings up another country you don't hear anything about. What is happening in Russia? We started pointing fingers at China to start with about mishandling and starting this pandemic. Now people in China are saying we manufactured it a put it there. Russia had or has a biological warfare unit that actively developed diseases as a weapon of war. We are essentially in an electronic war right now with them actively developing electronic bugs to disrupt world societies in general and specifically us. I don't like the idea of spreading theories, but with nothing coming out about Russian sickness numbers, my mind starts to wander down that path.
I actually am surprised someone has not started the rumor that the North Korean's are behind this virus. How about this for a movie plot. Some country has their scientists develop a virus and a vaccine for it. Then after all their people have been vaccinated they release it in some country that is know to have dealings all over the world. Then they just sit back and wait while all the other countries collapse under the strain of the virus. Now how long from the time I hit the "Post Reply" button will it take before this story line goes viral? Not sure if that was a good or poor choice of words!
How about the Russians want to keep Trump in power so the virus kills our economy and Trump declares a disaster and suspends elections because of the virus.
Yea but they would have to make sure he had received the vaccine as due to his age he would be on the hit list of the virus.
Make sure to check the trunk if you buy a new Kia or Hyundai. A report on TV said the most affected group is in the 35-54 years old range but older people are more susceptible to it . China would mostly likely be the country of origin simply because of the population. The more people the more chance of a virus to spread. Just like more murders happen in bigger cities.
Let's be careful not to get into politics, please. My personal conspiracy theory is that it was started by the millennials. Just think of the windfall to the Social Security fund if they could knock off 5-10 percent of the recipients in one fell swoop.
From what I can see in my current location it's the older generation who are very much into the "Keep Calm & Carry On" frame of mind. Taking sensible precautions obviously, but trying not to let it get too much in the way of getting on with life. In comparison the Millenials are running around like the proverbial headless chooks.......... useless cnuts the lot of 'em.
"My personal conspiracy theory is that it was started by the millennials. Just think of the windfall to the Social Security fund if they could knock off 5-10 percent of the recipients in one fell swoop." You mean my step daughter might be in on this? Wait a second! We did recently mention to her that if my wife and I both go before needing to spend a long time in a nursing home she will not only get the house but my 401K. Joke may be on her as if the stock market crashes to much the 401K funds will be gone too!
Sorry, I wasn't trying to be political. Some people are trying to blame it on China and make it a race issue which is wrong. China has the largest population so common sense would indicate there's more chance for any type of illness. Who knows it could have started in Italy but China were the first to figure out what it was. The Dr. in China who discovered it and has since died should be praised for letting the rest of the world know. I just hope it gets under control in a couple of month's instead of a year or longer.
the democrats way to beat trump not one thing has worked yet, keep american great.
Correct me if I'm wrong.... I keep hearing about 'flattening the curve' is one of the reasons for all the shutdowns. If so, how they will know when the curve has peaked?
please respect the rules that HEF threads are NOT the place for political comments. See Digger’s post above......
Sounds like American Auto makers are shutting down. Honda, in the Ohio region is shutting down... Our governor just suggested that employers shouldn't allow employees in without checking their temperatures. I don't know how I feel about that, other than I don't really like it. I don't know if it counts as political but to me this feels like either a test to see how far we can be pushed or training in the same respect. I'm certainly trying to follow guidelines as best I can but I'm not very worried even though I have a lot of folks in my circle who are at high risk. Maybe I'm naive.
I like it Waiting for further confirmation, but also hear reports coming out from France that younger ones are starting to have a harder time with it
No idea about France but the youngest person to die in the UK so far is a man in his 40’s who was diagnosed with motor neurone disease (MND) in mid-2018 and was given 2 years to live. So although I think that it could be agreed that Covid19 was a contributing factor to his death, it certainly wasn’t the main factor based on this article. The way the article is written certainly doesn’t make it look that way though, unless you read it very carefully. https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-51941732
It seems to have been one rolling catastrophe here for the last twelve months. Worst drought in recorded history followed by longest fire season ever, now this. It is keeping the media headline writers busy though... they are struggling to find words other than apocalyptic, armageddon etc., which are getting a bit tired.
A resperatory specialist on the news last night said that right now in Canada, there is one ventelator for every ten thousand people. Under normal circumstances this would be fine. Problem is that the nature of this illness will tax the health care system. Yes, more people die from influenza, but it is spread out over more time. This strain of covid will create more cases at once, making it difficult to treat it
Yes and people with other illnesses would also die because they can't get the proper care they require. That's why they only want people with the symptoms to get tested.
Hope the giant chicken doesn't turn around when it has to go. That would worse than acid rain.
They won't until they have adequate ability to test and determine who has it and who does not. 7000 isn confirmed cases. If all of those people had contact with just 10 people... that's 70,000 and they don't even know they have it yet and they have contact with 10...
I am waiting to read the headline that says "The S$%* has hit the fan!"
Thank you, Nige, for your reminder of the Forum Rules. It's very much appreciated to know that most people actually *get it*, and very frustrating to see that some people just don't.
While I may have opinions of my own I try to not voice them here. If anyone feels I have been or in the future seem to go off base feel free to let me know or if you are a moderator feel free to block me for what ever period of time you feel is appropriate even if that is permanent!Too much good comes from this site'forum to let opinions, even mine to cause problems!
S'not hard TBH. It's right there on the forum header - "NO POLITICAL OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSIONS"
Well worth sharing. A message from a Brit in Italy ......Dear People of the UK You will of course be aware that Italy has taken extreme measures in the hope of slowing the spread of the Coronavirus. These are measures the UK may be forced to implement, later down the line. As a Brit living in Northern Italy, here are some things you need to know: Our supermarkets HAVE STAYED OPEN. They are on slightly reduced hours and you have to queue to get in (yes, it’s a ball-ache) but they are OPEN, EVERY DAY. Deliveries continue to arrive so for ***k’s sake, shop like NORMAL HUMAN BEINGS!!! Enforced social isolation does not mean you cannot leave your house. It means you can still leave your house for ESSENTIAL activity, like shopping. So put down the f’kin pasta and toilet rolls and breathe. Now you don’t have to share a bed with your four kids because you’ve had to turn their rooms in to store cupboards for the all the pointless and selfish hoarding you are doing. Pharmacies are still open so you DO NOT NEED 236 bottles of Calpol, 429 packets of paracetamol and 987 Tubigrips. Colds, flu, headaches, muscle pain, period pain, teething babies, they are still out there, Coronavirus or not. So, again, step away from the goods. Buy what you NEED, put back what you don’t. We still have access to all basic medical needs. Again, we have to queue and observe the recommended 1M distance from others but within our community, this has been well-organised and adhered to. Suck it up. For info, the Italians do not queue or respect personal space in the way that we Brits do. If they can do it, then you ***king can too! It’s practically a national pastime! Bakeries and butchers - still open. See points above. Pet shops - still open. Calm it, Fido. Your nightly Dentastix is safe. DIY shops - still open for ESSENTIAL maintenance items. I only know this because I tried to buy a cactus when I went for a new shower head, only to find non-essential aisles closed to the public. Fair enough, right? Do me a favour. Share this around. The measures are extreme but they are not SO extreme that you need to be utter ***kers to each other. Shop responsibly. Then go home, pour yourself a gin and celebrate the fact that your food shop is not going to take you 6 hours to put away. And let’s be honest, on the off chance that you do contract the virus, the last ***king thing you are going to want is a big bowl of pasta, 2ltrs of Fanta and a bumper pack of ***king Morrison’s sausage rolls!!! MY NOTE: Brits say ***k a lot.....get over it..!!
Few things come to mind first Brits have class a sarcasm second its amazing how the news would not portray that rationally and would spin it in a way that would make you think that everyone in Italy was on the verge of starvation
I thought they said fa*k.
That sounds Australianish, as in “Stone the fa*ken crows!!” Fook or feck sounds more British.
I know an old brit and he always says 'feckers' when referring to mates he don't like.
Let's get one thing straight, I don't stock up and buy in bulk cause I am afraid there won't be any supplies, food, TP, or whatever else is missing on the shelves during pandemic. "IF" I needed to stock up cause my supplies are low of what I already have stocked up is to decrease my trips out into the public which thus decreases my chances of getting the virus that is causing all the panic. Also decrease my chances of having to run into any anarchy that might have been caused by the panic. Lastly if it really comes to ****, I can live off the land hunting animals, and I have seeds ready to be planted for vegetables.
I was thinking "Feck", like Mrs Brown
Well, we use feck and fark to be polite to the Politically Correct, rest of the time the good old For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge.
Like CO our local economy is reliant of tourism, that has all but shut off. Schools closed, bars and restaurants are limited to 10 clients inside at a time or voluntarily closing. Stores remain open but the caveat is DO NOT SHOW UP SICK as they will escort you out. Sneezing and hacking or looking as death warmed over will get you a trip to the door. We have a volunteer FD and a very citizen minded ambulance service, they are offering to those aged and unable as well those that are ill to pick up their grocer orders and deliver for free. Quite a few takers so far according to those I know. Power stations are fighting to stay On, takes a pretty defined Coal Gang to keep bunkers filled or ops crews to keep the steam inside the pipes with generators banging out MWs. Fuel food and everyday products deliveries are still happening, not much has slowed even as the hoarders snatch up everything they can expecting the end is near, no need to hoard as much of the foods will either go bad or they will eat excessively from boredom before this is all done and make themselves sick.
Must say, the shops are not as busy and the shelves are filling up with produce. The cashier at the till remarked that she is happy that her "normal" clients are back.
A bunch of our local stores all have an hour set aside for seniors and people with disabilities and those who are at risk. Nice. I haven't made use of it yet, but I will. Open at 7 am for us. I really don't need much other then some perishables My province has also moved to a state of emergency. I see one of the things on the menu is shutting down the resellers, you know, the people that cleaned the shelf out of TP and are hopping to resell for a profit. YES!
Feck is only to get it past the censors for prime-time TV. **** (said with feeling) is the more normal version. The one I’ve adopted over the years is the Australian “get ***ked” response when someone tells you something either incredible or unbelievable. Queenslander will relate to that one.
Sorry. Double post.
What about "I'll believe you this time but never lie again".
We give blood on regular basis, and right now they really need it because some many are not. I'm leaning toward still doing it but think about what if I catch it after giving. I'm down a pint so now have less to fight it off.
A small suggestion for anyone that has had recent surgery. The surgical nurse called yesterday to inform me that the appointment that I have for a follow up will require me to be tested before entering the hospital. Which considering everything that's happening seemed reasonable so I asked her if I should cancel and make a new one at a later date. She suggested I go to a mirror, take off my shirt and she would talk me through the same examination she would do. After about ten minutes and many questions and a couple pictures she said that all seemed good and to keep on doing everything the same. This saved me about 3 hours of driving and possibly a missed appointment anyway. So if you have a doctors appointment that isn't due to a new illness or injury this might work out for you.
Speaking of blood donation, here's a really interesting article: https://www.sciencealert.com/a-clas...-help-protect-against-coronavirus-experts-say In a nutshell, donated blood from recently recovered victims contains antibodies, which may help in immunizing or treating others. If I were to find myself in that position, I'd certainly be willing to give up a pint or two...
No shutdown here, but we've modified procedures severely. I anticipate a shutdown next week. There's been hardly any traffic since this virus really got going. If we do shut down, I'm headed for the mountains to work my side/hobby job for a while.
good article I emailed the blood center and a Doctor called back. He says while your a bit weaker from the loss of blood, there is no issue with being worst off from it. So unless we get sick between now and Thursday we will be giving
Doctors lawyers and politicians, I can’t tell the difference in them.
The new marketing material seems questionable
That tickled my funny bone way harder than it should have
The difference in font between the top and the bottom of the page seems to indicate some level of “editing”, and most likely not by the OEM.....IMHO - YMMV.
sorry if i said something wrong did not mean to, like this site and the people in it to much for that, bless each and every one.
That sales man is working overtime on that one
Unbelievable... never thought I would ever see police guarding the groceries.
May end up that way here.
Hey where is the 6 foot distance Stopped by Total wine in Louisville today and at the registers they have tape marks every 6 feet so folks can see if they get to close
Where the heck is Jerry Springer? People fighting over toilet paper could overtake the WWF and wouldn't have to be rehearsed! Would give all us shut-ins some entertainment. Nobody would want to break it up because they'd want to stay 6' away. Speaking of which, the people in line look too close together. What do pasta, paper towels and toilet paper have in common? They can all make a mess.
Not sure what is wrong with some people. I stopped in at local branch of a grocery chain store in out small town yesterday. Pretty well stocked from what I saw and only two people at one register and one lady ahead of me in the other line. The TP and paper towel aisle was a bit bare but any place I was looking was not bad. Maybe I just hit a slow time?
I've noticed the beer barn at the local party store has been increasing stock....it's been selling, as there isn't much left by delivery day. Ed
I went to the local CVS store to pick up a prescription and some Tylenol for my wife this afternoon. I bought the last bottle of Tylenol in the store. They said there has been a buying run on it because somewhere a rumor started that it will help prevent getting Covid19. The pharmacist said it is absolutely false. There is no data anywhere to support that BS.
Agree it is false, what is true and please check for your self (We all should do this), but you don't want to use Ibuprofen if you have Covid19 infection because its a anti-inflammatory, Tylenol is not, so you would use it for pain
Everything is shut down here. Even the snowmobile clubs have been ordered to stop grooming the trails. Announced today that the school situation will be revisited in April. Grocery stores are down to 12 hour days as most workers come to work while kids are at school.
I had to hit the stores up today, pick up some perishables. Some of the shelf's were empty, the TP and paper towel were cleaned out (still not sure why) but all in all no issues getting what I needed. The one store I go to is very small, too much stuff for the space they are in. Fortunately there were only about 4 people there so no issue at all. The big chain store was polite. There were 2 teen girls that were being a little inappropriate, not respecting boundaries. I must have given them a pretty decent stink eye because they kept their distance from me. The check out was perfect. They put tape on the floor with 2 meters/6 feet on it, every 6 feet in the line ups. People were respecting it. Not allowed to use your cloth grocery bags anymore. The will provide new plastic bags no charge. And they will limit items. I tell everybody I meet now that if they get close enough for me to bop them in the nose I will, so keep your distance. I had to make a stop at one last store, a restaurant supply. My wife requires straws for drinking so we buy them there, big box of 500. The lady running the store is closing today, going home and isolating herself for the 2 weeks. She said she would only open up to supply restaurants with take out containers but that was pretty much it.
Called our KY Covid19 line and asked if there is any way to determine if someone has had Covid19 and got over it. The answer is NO, which says, unless you were tested when you had it, you will have to spend 2 weeks in Iso if someone close to you gets it. You could be immune but no way to tell
Made a Wally World run today, wife had Doc appointment for two odd skin conditions on upper lip, dermatologist took sample of one, freeze removed the other. Anyway longer and more boring went to store while in Washington MO, loaded up on burger and some odd meat cuts, frozen chicken, went by the Paper Goods aisle and NOTHING in it. Stocker stated the first to receive is the E-orders as they are pulled early usually as leaves truck then as soon as hit aisle the vultures sweep in. Currently MO Attorney General has sights set of finding the Gougers that stockpiled to sell at extreme pricing. They are also limiting ONE case per a Customer against their address, can send any number of people in but same address they get no sale. Does seem they cannot stop the hoarding even as does the purchaser little good over all.
They must be building forts in the house. The wife bought a bunch of TP this summer during some sort of sale. Still have enough to keep all three of our butts clean well into the fall. Could probably do the dog and the rabbit too and still have lots
With all confirming it guess that's the way it is. I'm no where near a place that does it, so maybe when I'm taking a long run I'll try to setup one
Our Governor has issued a stay at home order until April 7th. Yikes !!! https://www.chicagotribune.com/coro...0200320-teedakbfw5gvdgmnaxlel54hau-story.html
Yes IL went on lockdown as CA has. MO may be in there too. NY State is considering currently.
I'm not surprised that certain US states are doing this, and probably more to follow. At this point in time there is no telling how many undiagnosed cases are out there because apparently there is no national system for recording information and passing to a central agency such as CDC for compilation. So the numbers are probably as accurate as those coming out of China at this point in time. Last numbers I saw there were over 5000 new cases announced in the US today alone. We're simply being advised to stay at home and avoid social interaction as much as possible. For instance out of the 5 cases so far that have been confirmed in our city of almost 2 million people, every one has been imported from another country. 3 cases were in people recently returned from Spain & France, the other 2 people recently returned from the US.
Connecticut shut down as of Sunday....not sure how me, by myself, in a machine, effects anyone else....it will certainly effect mine and everyone else's income.....I think I have ALOT of water line repairs coming up.... ....I actually just read the "Executive order" from our Govenor.....Construction/Landscape services are in fact listed as "essential".
Went to Costco today and they put us in line to get in. Somethings seemed to not be stacked so high. Plenty of people there for a Friday. They are limiting some items to only one or two per shopper.
Iam sure it’s the same the world over, but here, there’s no shortage of product, just that the supply chain can’t keep up with demand. Take meat for example, there are almost as many cows in Australia as people, yet supermarket shelves are bare because the hoarders think we are going to run out.
So, is it better to be in line outside, or spread out through the store?
I've seen those lines and wondered the same. I understand the theory behind it but the application of said theory leaves a bit to be desired if the store lets people congregate outside the door waiting to be let in. When I saw a line of people waiting outside one of the local supermarkets the other day I simply went elsewhere. Amazingly in another supermarket not 500 yards away from the one with the line there were few shoppers, fully stocked shelves, and no lines either outside waiting to go in or at the checkouts to pay to get out.
I had to stop at the store today to pickup a prescription and a few items using a basket. At checkout I had a person crowding the hell out of me, no one was keeping any distance from anyone else in the store. I had had enough and in a rather loud voice said {Back the F&CK OFF}. It startled the others at the check out lines and got their attention. I noticed people stepping back from others. Then the floor manager walks up-{Sir what seems} I didn't let him finish {Put some signs up that say {Shoppers please keep your distance from others at the check out stands} and walked off.
I just saw an article in our local news. Costco will no longer be accepting returns of Toilet Paper Paper Towels Water Sanitizing Wipes Rice Lysol. Take that all you hoarders
What if you use it and don't like it???? will they take it back if it is 'unsatisfactory' and 'used'!!!
Walmart has the same policy as of a few days ago. My wife works there and says there will be a lot of mad people at the first of the month when the rent's due
Kind of a two edged sword because if they were to take it back undamaged they might have a little more to sell to someone that needs it because they haven't been able to get any for weeks.
Maybe permit goods returns minus a 20% "Re-Stocking Charge"..?
An outright NO RETURNS policy is the only way to discourage the TP scalpers....
Personally I think it's great you hoarded it trying to make quick buck and in your venture to be a super capitalist you mistaked panic for scarcity of goods now your stuck with 200 bucks of tp you dont need and cant really sell If you want to make money selling tp go start a store otherwise your just an ass my brothers neighbor was trying to scalp tp for 5 bucks a role story was people were throwing there trash at him when they drove by what really frosted me tho was when I went to get 2 packs of diapers like I do about every 10 days and they were all gone and not only that the formula was to now if I find people trying to scalp those items let's just say I have a backhoe
Many stores don't re-stock returned items anymore, load it in a truck and send it to auction... LOML had the cafe open today, take out only, did a bit better than she expected. I went to the restraunt supply (Gordons) on wed., they were well stocked and had extra take out boxes in the main aisle. Ed
Heading home today and was stopped at a light looked over and saw a bunch of people standing outside what I thought was a hooty bar just checked on google earth it's actually a vape shop in the same building as the 'entertainment' place... so all these people are out side the door telling the person inside what they want cause they won't let them in the place.... with all the respiratory issues with vaping these days you'd think people would use a bit of sense.... and order it online since they are probably a prime target for this virus
Candidates for the Darwin awards
LOL... used toilet paper??? I, like you have graced the inside of more “sheet houses” then I care to remember. Inside most of them, placed as a public service is some of the worst buttockial tissue known to man and or woman as the case maybe. No matter how poor the quality and how many linear yards of it we may have to use, we are all happy to have it as it beats the alternative typically. Over time most of us have learned that particular product, has somewhat skewed our pre “sheet house“ experience and expectations when it comes to to TP. I have to admit to purchasing a higher quality paper at home than you will find typically at work,(although since someone stole the 2 rolls out of the sheet house at work I may be forced to review my opinion as some douche bag thought it was pretty good apparently.) however should I find that in some hungover or dead tired state I somehow managed to scoop up a pack of “Billy Bob’s Fabulous Recycled Wood Chip Toilet Tissue” I am not returning “used” toilet paper. I am just going to “John Wayne” my way through the adversity and discomfort!
LOL MD, portalets have been almost a second home facility to many of us and I too not so fondly remember the waxed paper that came on those rolls!! Seems as took yards to get ones self clean enough to exit especially after a weekend of Hockey Game beer food and following up with STL White Castle Belly Bomber Sliders.
No returns for hoarders, I like it
LOL!!!, 'second home'.... funny you should say that as we find 'homeless' in them all the time doing all manner of who knows what you'll get to a jobsite in the morning after a long commute and run to the outhouse only to find it locked and some vagrant sleeping in it... or shooting up... any more you have to put a lock on them but then it complicates getting it cleaned and they tend to cut the locks or the hasp part anyways
In STL have seen them on skids hanging from cranes as used to do with the old welders and compressors!!
Those things can be nasty. We had one on a mine site job that was out of the way, so it didn't get cleaned very often. I ran into one once, and I would have needed a grade stake to shove the pile over. I use the woods when I can.
Returns on anything may become unlikely as they have found that virus can live for some time in the open air. I can't see some hoarder, thinking of making a future fortune, bringing back anything they think might become scarce.
I was in a mine in AZ for quite awhile. In the heat they used to get really bad. The guy that owned them also worked in the pit. I went to use one and it would have driven off a rabid goat. I was running a Cat 365 that day and I suggested that if he could not service it a little more frequently. I would be happy to bury it
Well if we are onto sheet house stories... One of the nice things about logging is lots of wide open places to do your thing. But one time the company I was working for was building road for a windfarm. Huge regulations. They had potties statically placed all through the site. I was up one evening just before sunset when the call of nature struck. Oh god, I thought. I hate porta potties. But off I went. Well, it must have just been serviced, spotlessly clean, no aroma and the best part was the view. No one around so I blocked the door open. The windfarm was on top of the mountain and the outhouse had a nice northwest view. It was stunning. Best company crap I ever had.
One of the strangest hotbox experiences I've had was on a small retail project a couple of years ago. Driver dropped it off and filled it up with blue soup. I had to take a leak so off I go. What ever blue soup they were using smelled like stripper perfume - no sheet. Surprised I didn't I have glitter on me when I came out.
Was the pole in the way?
And then there was the time the company I was working for decided that the septic system for the shop wasn't working so they installed a composting toilet. I'll just politely say, it didn't work. (Shudders)
I knew a woman who thought recycled toilet paper was actually made from recycled toilet paper. The Gov't. here is trying to stop scalpers from selling toilet paper at a huge increase. I don't know why some places have the super thin 1 ply paper you can see through. You have to use 4 times as much so they aren't saving anything. There's even a few places that still use the little sheets you pull out but they're better than the see through stuff. I worked at a place that wasn't hooked up to the city sewer system and had a septic tank. It was built in the 60's out in the boonies at the time. You knew when it needed to be pumped because you couldn't flush anymore. You can't flush, you can't use it and there's no other place to go within about a 1/4 mile. It was pumped regularly but when it was full on a hot day it would be pretty rank.
Septic's will last forever if taken care of, but once they ever stop you have a lateral problem. Tanks need to be pumped every so many years (depends on usage). I pump every 7 years and house was built in 69. Keep the solids from getting past the tank and all good
So I went to drop off a pair of boots at redwings to get resoled and they said there repair shop is closed until further notice not to mention you couldn't even walk into the shoe store The governor deployed the guard yesterday to help grocery stores restock the roads have had no traffic on them and fuel is going down every day here we are way behind on work from the rain and some of the big gc are not allowing more than 40 hours a week on there jobs for risk of people getting sick I have 2 custom homes stalled because of the investor 2 more cant get out of permit Does any one want to guess were the economic impact will stop
We're having the same issue here - can't get timely inspections at the best of time...now it's ridiculous. We're fortunate our clients are telling us to push on regardless of inspections. Their mindset seems to be that we gave them the opportunity, and they didn't take it...law also sides with that mindset around here...will sure be interesting longer term though!
My sister like a lot of business owners is in a bad situation. She owns a hair salon and had to lay off all the employee's which bothered her but there was no other option. She on the other hand can't collect EI but still has to pay rent in downtown Victoria. She asked the landlord to hold off for a while but what happens if this goes on for month's? Some landlords are very greedy and could care less about what the circumstances are. They want their money now! It could wipe out thousands of businesses.
One thing is for certain, mortuaries, cemeteries, oven operators, casket makers, grave diggers, etc will be hiring . More jobs, less unemployment and great for the economy. Sad but true and lets face it folks, if this corona thing is in fact real, its not going away. Not in our life times.
There are supposed to be compensation packages available for small business
Nope I would've been looking for the 365 LOL!
Well that's a bit of a coincident. Next door neighbor had a problem with their system this morning. A few good things are. One they are a few hundred yards away. Two he is the supervisor for the quarry down the road so he has free access to the John Deere back-hoe. His dad is a small contractor and his father in-law is the town highway superintendent. So other than a sh*tty job he has ever-thing he needs to get the job done. So at least I don't have to feel bad about not helping! Did offer use of our home if the kids need to use bathroom! But they are over at grandma's house only a couple miles away.
So what size RedWings do you have? I have three or four brand new size 9 1/2 EEE just sitting here!
It's not that I dont have new ones on my feet it's that I can get them resold about 2 sometimes 3 times for half the cost of new I just couldn't send them in due to the virus
I’ll give it another 6-9 months maximum until herd immunity kicks in and that’ll be the end of it. A year from now we’ll (well those of us that are left anyway) will be wondering what all the fuss was about.
Roll your own?
All the crawling around and under equipment I did meant that I almost never wore out the soles before the toes were showing over half the steel toes. Good thing is that for many years the company paid for two pair of boots per worker per year. Then when new outfit took over they dropped it to a set dollar amount but that would pay for one good pair of Redwings, the good made in USA ones! I got in the habit of switching between two pair of boots at a time so they seemed to last a bit longer, about two years so when I retired in 2015 I still had not opened the box with the boots from 2008! So I guess I'm guilty of hoarding RedWings! And just to put this almost back on topic I just took a look and we have 144 rolls of TP, the stuff those bears advertise! And NO have not bought any in around two months. Every time wife gets a coupon for the warehouse store she picks up some if she is going near the place. So with stock market killing some of my 401K I may have to start selling it on FleaBay!
https://biv.com/article/2020/03/bc-hydro-sending-site-c-workers-home My son just got back home, he just hired on as a welder up there, got 2 weeks in. He as more then a little worried, not all of the guys were bothering to even do something as simple as wash their hands before heading in to the dinning hall, just doing the rinse and wipe.
We have a guy that came up from Fla and he is nervous as well about the uncertainty as he doesn't have enough time to draw unemployment here.
Does your wife know that you know what stripper perfume smells like?
My plan last night when I went to bed was to get out to the stores and take advantage of the early opening for seniors and people at risk. Stores open at 7, so 7:15 I am ready to roll. Standing at the door thinking to myself, what was it I needed to pick up. Asked my wife, she couldn't remember. I have an app I run on my phone that both of us can access and add to the list. Checked it and nothing on there that was really needed, nothing to make a trip for. So had coffee and a second coffee. It is now just after 9 and finally the brain engaged. Need some sandwich fixings. Groan. And the weather has changed, sitting at 4 degrees (40F) and overcast looking like rain. No triking today. I don't mind riding in the rain in the summer but when it is this cold, noooooooo. Looks like netflix is going to take a beating today.
I told her about. We had lives before we married.
Thanks to the corona virus scare, my jury duty service requirement has been fulfilled for another 12 months.
How are things going to work in jails. Everybody stays in their cell and gets their meals delivered? No socializing? If that's the case could be a recipe for disaster.
oh no even better...they are letting the SOBs out. yes you read that right. In the bigger cities they are even admitting to releasing them for stuff even like auto theft, burglary, etc. down here in the smaller towns they claim it’s ones who have committed “non violent” and “victimless” crimes but won’t tell us more details because they don’t want more uproar. The sheriffs and their officers are very against it but can’t stop it. What it will do is change the ROE for the citizens who might have called 911 before instead of 1911.
Model 1911 below.
Hornsby Chain Track Tractor. Quite ingenious in its day.
On this question of like and or quality? Which was better- The Sears or the Spiegel catalog?
Well there is good news, the exercise bike companies have come out with the A$$oton-comes with a 18" buffer wheel and mud flap.
Truck Shop, all I can say is you are twisted, sick and perverted, and we need more of that these days!
Well it didn't take long for the thought of brotherly love to go away. https://keprtv.com/news/coronavirus/massive-coronavirus-related-lines-outside-west-richland-gun-shop
Stocking up for the upcoming walking dead
They should've already had what they needed.
Well...**** just got real here in Ontario. As of midnight tomorrow, all non essential businesses are to close. No decision as to whether on not construction meets that definition. We find out tomorrow.
Michigan Governor just enacted a Stay at Home executive order effective today for the next 3 weeks. I don't know if I'll be allowed to go home now as I'm currently working out of state. Probably, but will my flights be cancelled? Or will I end up driving the 1500 miles home?
Good luck Colson! Got a friend fighting cancer now here who’s spouse is stuck in Saudi Arabia. I feel for you all.
From what I’ve seen of most of these shelter at home/lockdown proclamations our professions are usually excluded as essential
Here you go. No need to hoard TP anymore.
Can you explain a little of your thought process on this one? Do you mean doctors, dentists, attorneys, government decision makers?
I mean construction workers/mechanics are usually excluded/exempted from the “stay at home” orders
heres new yorks list of essential workers.... (WIVB) – On Friday, Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced he will sign an executive order mandating that all employees except for essential services stay home. The state is defining essential services as the following: For purposes of Executive Order 202.6, “Essential Business,” means: 1. Essential health care operations including research and laboratory services hospitals walk-in-care health facilities emergency veterinary and livestock services elder care medical wholesale and distribution home health care workers or aides for the elderly doctor and emergency dental nursing homes, or residential health care facilities or congregate care facilities medical supplies and equipment manufacturers and providers 2. Essential infrastructure including utilities including power generation, fuel supply and transmission public water and wastewater telecommunications and data centers airports/airlines transportation infrastructure such as bus, rail, or for-hire vehicles, garages hotels, and places of accommodation 3. Essential manufacturing including food processing, manufacturing agents, including all foods and beverages chemicals medical equipment/instruments pharmaceuticals sanitary products telecommunications microelectronics/semi-conductor agriculture/farms household paper products 4. Essential retail including grocery stores including all food and beverage stores pharmacies convenience stores farmer’s markets gas stations restaurants/bars (but only for take-out/delivery) hardware and building material stores 5. Essential services including trash and recycling collection, processing and disposal mail and shipping services laundromats building cleaning and maintenance child care services auto repair warehouse/distribution and fulfillment funeral homes, crematoriums and cemeteries storage for essential businesses animal shelters 6. News media 7. Financial Institutions including banks insurance payroll accounting services related to financial markets 8. Providers of basic necessities to economically disadvantaged populations including homeless shelters and congregate care facilities food banks human services providers whose function includes the direct care of patients in state-licensed or funded voluntary programs; the care, protection, custody and oversight of individuals both in the community and in state-licensed residential facilities; those operating community shelters and other critical human services agencies providing direct care or support 9. Construction including skilled trades such as electricians, plumbers other related construction firms and professionals for essential infrastructure or for emergency repair and safety purposes 10. Defense defense and national security-related operations supporting the U.S. Government or a contractor to the US government 11. Essential services necessary to maintain the safety, sanitation and essential operations of residences or other essential businesses including law enforcement fire prevention and response building code enforcement security emergency management and response building cleaners or janitors general maintenance whether employed by the entity directly or a vendor automotive repair disinfection 12. Vendors that provide essential services or products, including logistics and technology support, child care and services: logistics technology support for online services child care programs and services government owned or leased buildings essential government services If the function of your business is not listed above, but you believe that it is essential or it is an entity providing essential services or functions, you may request designation as an essential business. Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Share this story
Number 6, ha! Might be better if there were less of those! As for number 7, no one inside as of a couple days ago around here.
Banks I deal with shut their lobbies last week, driveup only or you call and they meet you at the door for anything requiring it.... like large cash deposits, holdups, etc
Our banks closed the lobbies last week too. It has created an issue with our pay applications as they either have to be notarized when sent in certifying the % of work complete, lien waivers notarized before payment or both. We use our business bank for the notaries so now we have to make an appointment.
Yeah, not to mention driving my truck through the driveup.... barely fits!!! then I can't reach the drawer
HA! I have to go though the drive thru for regular deposits so Lucy can get a treat through the "magic tube". I have actually went inside to get a lien waiver notarized and then go through the drive tru so she can get a treat. The bank folks love it. Hard to say no to a face like this
My dog knows every drive in window in town including the Dairy Queen. They have pup cups for $0.50. He usually gets more in his cup than I get in my cone. But he is cuter than me.
Good luck getting home. Also- One local town just issued its own quarantine rules. They also decided that not only could they issue rules for town, but also anything within 5 miles of city limits, in shutting non-essential business. They compete for business with a second town right next to them. I think they may be overstepping their jurisdiction a little bit- wanting their quarantine to also shut down the town beside them. So if their home depot shuts down, the lowes two miles down the road in the next town's sales tax district, can't be open. Politics at its best..... "The authority for this ordinance is laid out in Section 79.380, RSMo which permits the Board of Aldermen to “make regulations and pass ordinances for the prevention of the introduction of contagious diseases in the city, and for the abatement of the same, and may make quarantine laws and enforce the same within five miles of the city."
Would you fancy spending couple of hours in a pressurized cigar tube along with 100+ other people, any one of whom might have it.?
Nope.
On the other side of the coin how would you feel if you picked it up somewhere while driving home and took it back to MI with you..? I’m 3000 miles away from home right now and made the decision very early on when flights were still available that I was not going to move. I felt that I was potentially in far more danger while travelling than I would be if I gritted my teeth and stayed put. What’s happened so far since then has convinced me that I made the correct decision.
The U.S. State of Georgia has made provisions for private inspectors to certify compliance in the building construction industry. I don't know how it works.
Interesting how private workers need to be there, but gov't employees don't. I posted somewhere about SC DNR needing dove fields ready to plant, so my operators could run their equipment, but their equip. ops had to "work from home"
Quarantine,I hoped that as the rest of companies we will close down for coupla weeks. And I ll have some rest, ant take care of my domestic needs. But no way we are working,, we serve utility comьunications
That's ridiculous Craneop. If I had a business outside the city limits i would challenge that law in court when this mess is over. There will probably be many legal challenges with all the shutdown/quarantine orders that have been issued. I'm no lawyer but the government forcing an otherwise legal business to close it doors without just compensation goes against the taking clause of the 5th Amendment in my opinion. Don't get me wrong I'll do whatever it takes through this pandemic however we don't need to flush our Liberties with it.
I've heard from both my parents and grandparents of times when people were locked down in their houses with a deputy outside who made sure no one left. There might be problems with application of the laws, but from the tales of old that I've been told of, there is plenty of precedent in the past to base todays enforcement actions. You might challenge it in court but an attorney would make you pay all the bills up front as you would likely lose in court.
Plenty of historical precedent for it. This was from the UK (I posted it before) but I'll bet my bottom dollar there have been similar well-documented cases in the US also. If there are then anyone who wants to challenge something in court had best be well-prepared for those precedents to be wheeled out PDQ by the defence. https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-35064071
Precedent doesn't necessarily mean it's right - look at the Japanese internment camps during WWII. There are many well funded non-profits that bring these types of lawsuits all the time here in the US. It will be interesting when this pandemic is over with how some of this is shaken out.
Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. I was referring to legal precedents which AFAIK is the basis of all law in both our side of the Pond as well as yours.
I just was called back to work in the morning.
I've been involved in a lot of eminent domain cases, variously working for the condemnor or the condemnee. The taking can occur very, very quickly, and by the time it gets to court, it's just an arguement about money
In this state and I suppose most if not all states if a business goes upside down employee wages are to come first. But if the banks get there first all bets are off. Ask me how I know.
Exactly - "just compensation".
There are three levels of creditor for a business that goes bang........ Secured Creditors - normally banks and any other institution that has loaned money to the company against a physical security (land, building, tools, etc.) Preferential Creditors - usually the employees. Unsecured Creditors - any person or entity that does not fall into the first two categories. Order of liquidation of funds is in the same order as it is above. If there is nothing left after the SC have got what they are owed or what is available after liquidating all the assets then that's it, nobody else gets a penny. The only exception to this is if there is some government-funded scheme to make payouts of unpaid salary, etc, to employees.
I think here the tax man gets his before anybody else. The rest can fight over what if anything is left. Tax man doesn't have to stand in line. d.d.
He has to stand in line over this side of the Pond. He's a Preferential Creditor just like the (former) employees.
Best I could find on the subject, the problem with wages is the federal withholding also. https://employment-law.freeadvice.c...ployer-files-for-bankruptcy-do-i-get-paid.htm
Up here they are handing out billions to us small biz guys,so they say. Wait until you try and qualify. All smoke and mirrors.We are just using our resources to be as responsible as possible and keep paying the bills. But talk of companies stepping up to the call for supplies and equipment is encouraging.Hard to figure how us equipment guys can help in a medical situation like this,its not like a fire or earthquake where we can do what we know to help.I guess staying home looking after ourselves and trying to stop transmission to others is the best thing to do at this point in time.
I'm lucky enough to work from home, just started a big GM project. GM announced current product upgrades were on hold, electric projects, full speed ahead. Thankfully I'm working on electric drivetrains. Ed
Yes, best thing
First it was the rain....for 3 weeks , the spread of 14 651's, 2 834 B's, 2 water pulls, 2 water trucks, 4 D9L push cats, 2 10T dozers and 3 finish dozers stayed home. I along with a few laborers were lucky to get 2--3 days a week on the D8R ripping, pushing mud and getting the water to flow. The rains finally go away, the sun comes out and everyone comes back for 3 days. Today we were told that Lennar Homes is shutting everything down for 6 weeks. Thanks China.
Most everything here shuttered for five weeks, all is active yet again where construction trades are floating Help Needed signs everywhere. Farms and local Farm Services companies are all looking to let the doors open and run. Town is not so quick where 90% is Tourist trade and guest houses/B&Bs are not being let too much yet, wineries are trying to align limited services and set back distancing instructions for patrons where they are seeing a modest attendance.
It's a start! Beyond the first week, while the company developed their Covid safety plan, my crew has worked through it doing emergency repairs. Last Monday night there were actually a couple cars on the highway. When we take two lanes typically there is a two mile backup until traffic thins out at 9 or 10 PM. We have got used to 20 or 30 cars an hour maybe less, as the night wears on. Monday night we had a little backup! A slow thaw is underway. I have driven home the 60 or 80 miles it usually is, since the shutdown at 3AM and encountered 2 or 3 cars. Last night there was a few people heading in... finally.
I've enjoyed the lack of traffic as well MD. We started a large job downtown where the normal 5 PM rush hour can take an hour to an hour and 1/2 to get home. During the shutdown I can be home in 25-30 mins. The last few days our highways are starting to fill up again despite our Governor's order. We are supposed to open up all business on the 15th with limitations of course. If our Governor decides to extend the shutdown order I believe she will have anarchy on her hands...
I'm worried about Georgia, there not testing much and going to open. Were testing a lot and numbers are staying low so far
Anarchy wont begin to tell the story if we dont open up our governor is not giving us bot loads of confidence We have been really spoiled traffic wise a 2 hour trip across town only takes 30 to 40 minutes right now all the freeways have a new understood minimum speed of 80 miles an hour
The same here until this week. I've seen more State Troopers on I-65 this week than I've seen in years..
There have been almost no truck involved accidents I have seen around here except for 2 but I have seen a lot more single vehicle loss of control than I ever remember I think with no traffic people forget how fast they are going
Each state is different. Georgia has been open for a week so the numbers will soon tell if it was the right move or not. Here in Alabama we only have slightly over 9,000 cases with less than 400 deaths with a population of 4.9 million people. So only .18% of the population is infected, hardly a reason to destroy our economy now that the "curve has flattened". I know it's not apples to apples but it is when comparing your daily risks. Alabama averages around 900 automobile accident deaths per year but we are not shutting the roads down. Of course the CV19 has not run it's course and the death toll will more than likely be higher that 900 when it's all over but it puts the RISK in relative terms. Well as I type this our Governor is opening the state up Monday with restrictions of course.
So many times the same kind of response, its not as bad as this death rate. All easy to say until someone close dies from it There saying over 50 is the hardest hit (not that all are over 50) but this reminds me of a very old show "Logans Run". Once you reached 50 you where euthanized Brazil is doing next to nothing about it, and there digging graves with an excavator to keep up
What does Brazil have to do with Alabama? There is zero correlation between the two. Neither is the government euthanizing people. Is that Brazilian graveyard for the entire country or just one city?
Did someone mention Georgia..? This AP report is a little sobering...... although my personal opinion is that how seriously the virus hits a community or an area is little to do with colour but more to do with the population's economic and social circumstances. https://apnews.com/b2a2add19ce7f4f75f42b29331034706
Last Friday Gov Abbott (Texas) opened the restaurants at 50% and today the hair salons along with others opened. The wife is thrilled, the first appointment she could get is May 20. The VA just called me and postponed an appointment I had next week. Our ranch is in a fairly rural area and in our county there's only three cases and just three or four in surrounding counties, hopefully that won't take a turn for the worst.
I'm not a math genius by any means but this doesn't add up... One funeral an hour all day is obviously 24 per day and the coroner has reached 41 total deaths by April, average is 50 deaths a year. So they held funerals straight for 1.7 days? The reporter wants to shock the reader into thinking that they are holding round the clock funerals for days on end but the death toll does not support that. The virus and this pandemic is bad as it is, sensationalist journalism is pathetic and not helping the situation.
Facts are there are more deaths in town by April then there were, all of last year Don't see any sensationalism, but what ever helps ya get thru the night, hope you and yours stay safe
The only way to make it through this pandemic is actual facts, not sensationalism designed to scare people to death. The virus is real and serious but we can't let the cure be worse than the disease either. Our local Level 1 Trauma Center is set to lose $230 Million due to these restrictions. What does that loss look like in the future, 2-4 years from now when people need medical care? Bankrupting our hospitals is not the solution. https://www.uab.edu/news/campus/ite...-expense-reduction-strategies-due-to-covid-19 Destroying our economy is not the solution either. There has to be a balance of getting back to business and dealing with the pandemic. We cannot hide in our homes and destroy our economies in fear of a virus. There is a death toll that comes along with economic depression as well.
Well I may well say what everyone wants to say but afraid to, Dollars are more important in the end.------ Although I don't fell that way myself. It's the way it's been in the past and the way it is now. 6 months after your dead most people forget about you anyway. That's reality and the truth and everyone knows it. So feel free to blast away at me folks, I probably don't have long to go myself, and that's the truth.
We all have different experiences and opinions.. that's how life works... we also never get out of life alive Just saying money is the most important thing is kind of misleading.... money is important because it lets you live you get to keep a roof over your head buy food, tools and toys(not in that order maybe...) the fact is this full blown shutdown can absolutely ruin a whole lot of peoples lives.. and their well being and probably even lead to a lot more people dying much sooner than they would have if they kept working....
It's not that dollars are more important than people - it's the fact without dollars we don't eat, house our families or pay the doctor when we are sick. It's the way it is now and how it has always been. I disagree that most people forget you 6 months after your gone. I miss friends I've lost years ago from time to time, it's the hole in your heart where you would trade your worldly possessions to sit in a booth at the local Waffle House just to shoot the **** again. The biggest pain loosing someone you love is not the initial loss, it's the 10 years down the road not having them in your life. Lost my mom to cancer 2 years ago April this year. This weekend is a tough one.
I would agree money shouldn't matter and it's what stays when you leave this world so it amounts to nothing of value cause it doesnt buy you more time and it cant buy real people or experience with it either The fact that you have to have money to exist in this world is just a stark reminder that time waits for nothing and people have no power to change that I only wish blessings upon people But where do you draw the line of upending people's lives to mitigate risk at what point does the cure become worse than the disease should one person die from it no not at all but should people get old you just cant stop it so what's reasonable Dont miss understand me on this but I have young kids and not in the position to be able to shut down my business for 2 months and survive I would loose everything with it so to feed my family I am willing to go along way so if I have to step over your dead body to feed my family that's the way it's going to be Dont think I am heartless I just have made that take prority
Whether the result of good management or just plain good luck, Australia is blessed to have lost only 97 souls to this virus so far, from a population of 26 million. There is plenty of financial hardship because of the shutdown but, mostly, people have been very accepting, particularly as the results have been so encouraging.
Alaska is lifting air travel restrictions on the 20th. That means you can travel and not do a 14 day quarantine. I’m sure some bush communities will stay off-limits for awhile longer. Prepping for the fishing season kicked off in Cordova already. One of the Ocean Beauty Seafood Mechanics just caught the virus. Now his whole maintenance crew is in isolation. The Copper River salmon opener is May 14th. They were getting the plant ready. They were tested before they left Seattle and did a quarantine at a hotel before flying. Then, retested in Cordova. Plus, they have to stay at the processor. Can’t leave the property for the entire. And he still got sick. I’m three months behind on remote work. It will be nice to get some cash flow going.
Australia and New Zealand leaders saw what needed to be done and did it.
Understandable You will protect your family and if someone killed one of them, there might be a response If you did something which killed another's family member, maybe a similar response Hope we all stay safe
CM... I feel your pain and I really am sorry for your loss. For everyones loss. When I lost my mom 9 years ago, it absolutely wrecked me. The guilt from not making time for her when I could have....should have. And the money. Yeah, money had a lot to do with it. You see, she had asked me to be the executor of her estate. Knowing what I know now, there's no way in hell i'll ever agree to do anything like that again. This huge family that I had, all of them in Ecuador...what a bunch of greedy vultures. They were after the money. And as my moms executor, I followed to the letter what she had written in her will. This so called family, many who I didn't know or remember, they all live pretty fat in Ecuador. 4 of them, an uncle, two aunts and a niece actually flew back to the states with me. Why? To collect their checks. Yep, I paid each one of them off BEFORE my mom was placed next to dad at the cemetery. The family that mom so desperately tried to have me reconnect with, down the crapper because of the money. I suppose money can be a good thing and a bad thing. Losing my mom hurt. It hurts every day and I doubt that will ever change. But the money thing, that just made me an angry, bitter and hateful man towards this family of vultures I had. And I mean had. I hope they choked on huge checks I handed them. Wow.... I apologize for ranting off like this. But your mom and my mom being gone is so damned painful. Again, sorry for your loss CM. btw, my moms birthday is in 5 days. happy birthday mom. now i need a drink.
The whole thing that irritates me about the situation is that we didn’t shut down for Ebola, MERS, SARS, H1N1...but we are wrecking a booming economy for an eminently survivable virus? I say the most vulnerable should stay home, those that can work from home should, and let the rest of us get on with life. This virus is going to spread regardless of measures and has most likely been here before it was officially acknowledged to be here
We also have the problem of major hospitals all over SC undergoing massive layoffs, due to the fact that they are empty. We always have the problem in this country of forcing rural areas to solve problems in ways that are appropriate to big cities. After 9/11, I was forced to stop training my firefighters in wildlands, rural water supply (vital with no hydrants), and other needed subjects, because there was no time with the federally mandated high-rise training. I have to drive 55 miles to see a 4 story building.
The point of the shutdown was to keep from swamping the healthcare system all at once. That danger still exists and the medical community is still trying to get a handle on such things as identifying those with the bug, how to best treat those at risk of dying, what are the long term affects of having survived it and how best to prevent it. Apparently over the course of the last four months little has been positively defined on any of those questions. At this point, without a vaccine, everyone will in time contract the bug at some point in the future. Politicians that have to make decisions based on life or money will usually default to life simply because dead people are not supposed to vote. The aggravation is that our system of capitalism works on the concept of income streams. Money has to constantly be moving in circles. The system cannot tolerate a break in the circle for long. Right now one death does not have a lot of impact on society as a whole. It's tragic to a few family members if you are blue collar and maintained a quiet life. It's news worthy if several people die in an accident, especially if it was preventable. It's also news worthy if a person was prominent is some way, but it will still be forgotten when the cycle shifts to something else. When large numbers of people pass on for some reason the general population goes numb to the numbers and just seem to consider it inevitable. When Tip O'Neill was the speaker of the House of Representatives, he had a saying that "all politics is local." My own view is that politics is based on touch points. The concern now is that political touch points will merge with medical touch points as more people die from the bug.
I didn't read the article as I was in a hurry to work. But there was an article stating, their words, "deaths of despair" were expected to be about equal in number to actual coronavirus deaths. They were classifying suicide, drug or alcohol overdose, and domestic violence in that category. As for Australia and New Zealand, this is their summer. We don't know yet how effective UV radiation is at killing the virus. And I don't think either of those countries stack people in anywhere as tightly as New York.