Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Volvo 1.5 ton EC15B 2005year

Extractorfan ยท 2013-08-24 11:52

Hardly heavy equipment I know, never the less it's just as annoying whether the machine is big or small when it keeps cutting out. The problem is this, the excavator will start and work ok but the engine will shut down sometimes after a few minutes, then can be restarted immediately. Sometimes it will work ok for a couple of hours before it decides to shut its self down. I have looked at the wiring jiggled the wiring harness about jiggled the relays and fuses in the compartment under the seat, whilst the engine is running - everything seems ok and engine keeps running, I have pulled the water proof plug apart which runs to the injector pump to check for corrosion, this was ok. I wondered if there was some kind of ECU on a machine of this size? The fuel level is ok, recent fuel filter fitted, I wondered if the shut down to be caused by a sensor, would someone be kind enough to help with this problem? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. The excavator is a 1.5 ton Volvo EC15b serial No.27213299. Many thanks Ex tractor fan.

Replies4
  1. #1sfrs42013-08-27 04:47

    have you tried the dead mans handle/swich?

  2. #2joispoi2013-08-27 07:28

    There is no ecu on that machine. If it's a clean shut off, and there's no sputtering, it would indicate that it's electronically induced. Check to see that the oil pressure sensor is not loose in it's socket. There's a plug going to it right by the IP. There's also a temperature sensor that would shut the machine down if it overheats. Check the connections. The ignition switches are prone to taking on moisture if yours is a canopy version. A shot of wd-40 into the key hole will disperse the water. Check your battery cable connections.

  3. #3Extractorfan2013-08-27 15:30

    Many thanks for your reply, will check it out.

  4. #4Extractorfan2013-08-27 15:34

    joispoi, many thanks for your reply, I will check out the connections & switch as you suggest and post my findings. Thanks. Ex tractor fan.